PDA

View Full Version : Brand names used for irrigation??

gusbuster
10-20-2000, 10:02 PM
Just kind of curious to see what kind of brand names are used in irrigation installs by the pro's who use this site.
Valve's? brand and size (3/4" 1" ect..)
Brand of fixed spray heads and nozzles?
Impacts or rotors? Why?
Timers ? (indoor or out door)
Do you pull pipes or bury pipes?

From talking from my parts person today, I got curious just to see how other people do installations in other parts of the country.

John

Island Lawn
06-09-2001, 08:06 PM
Well I'm interested in knowing the brand names so I can do some research.
All I do is the occasional repair/improvement. For that, I just use Home Cheapo.
They sell Toro and Rainbird.

I see alot of Hunter and Nelson component/systems in the field.

Keith
06-09-2001, 08:45 PM
Irritrol valves- generally 1" and 1 1/4"
Rainbird 1800 series sprays (most of the time)
Mostly rotors, mixed Hunter, Nelson, K Rain
Use Rainbird ESP series controllers mostly

Avery
06-10-2001, 12:23 AM
90% of jobs we use Irritrol 1" valves, ESP clocks, Hunter I-20 heads, and Rain Bird pop ups for beds. We bury pipe. We do not install drip.

gusbuster
06-10-2001, 01:53 AM
Pretty much, whatever the local irrigation supply house pushes is used. For Example:
Fixed sprays
Horizon----RainBird
Ewing------Toro
GreenMark----Hunter

All the above mentioned names are big irrigation houses located through out the western states

John

GilbertJT
06-11-2001, 02:59 PM
I have used mostly Nelson products this includes heads, valves and controllers. I have had great luck with them, especially the latest version of gear drive heads. They have a good warranty and I have them in my own yard so I may be a little biased. I have some experience with Hunters, Rainbirds and Toro. I feel that the Nelson is the simplest to operate and easiest to teach a customer to adjust themself.:blob3:

greens1
06-11-2001, 11:37 PM
Hunter rotors and pop up, ESP clock, irritrol 1" valves, netafim low volume

Jim L

EarthWorks
06-12-2001, 07:04 AM
Hunter rotors, Using Rainbird 5004 on a job now. Seem to be pretty good. Rainbird pop ups. Rainbird valves and esp controllers. Hunter rain sensor. I despise nelson because I always have to clean up after the only person that installs them here. The Nelson controller sucks. What is up with having to pull the top off a head to adjust it?

GilbertJT
06-12-2001, 07:27 AM
I would much rather teach a customer how to pop off the top of a head to adjust it one time than have to stop out and show them how to adjust a Hunter five times after I have a job done. I guess for me it makes economic sense. Plus Nelson has one of the best warranties on the market even better than Toro's seven year pro-rated warranty. Once again economic sense. :D

Keith
06-12-2001, 12:49 PM
I was a big fan of Nelson stuff for a long time. The simplicity of adjusting the rotors was one reason why. Lately I have noticed I have more Nelson failures than anything. I also installed a lot of their controllers, and I have had to replace alot of them :mad: The outdoor boxes have a real problem with moisture and the indoor one have problem with heat. Its a hard sell on a new controller when the one you installed last just goes bad after the warranty is over. This makes ya look bad for choosing an inferior product. I have installed more than one replacement without making a dime, just to keep the customer happy.

gusbuster
06-12-2001, 01:32 PM
Keith,

In ten years of use, including on my own family’s properties, I've never have had to replace this brand of timer. “Irritrol” makes this timer and I use their "RainDail" product line. A 9 zone indoor\outdoor timer runs around $138 for outdoor and $118 for indoor models.

I use this timer where I know heat or moisture will be a problem. Heat, at least in my opinion is the biggest killer of all electronic timers.
John

EarthWorks
06-12-2001, 09:29 PM
Sounds like a Ford vs. Chevy type argument. Oh well, I know what works for me and what doesn't.

smithsonmi
06-14-2001, 09:59 AM
I vote for Hunter valves and rotors(I20 preferred). I had been using Hunter pop-up sprays but have switched to Rainbird due to nozzle clogging issues that Rainbird seems to solve.

I like the Hunter ICC controller but recently had a failure that required replacement.