PDA

View Full Version : Truck Box Hoist Kit

Quality Lawn Care
11-09-2003, 03:04 AM
I have a 98 Chev. 2500 reg. cab long box that I use for clean-ups and snow plowing. After manually unloading debris from it this fall I decided it was time for a dump truck. I looked at a few and thought it would make doing cleans up easier, but harder to plow with and to control stuff from rolling around in the back of a dump box. So I started checking around and found a company that installs hoist kits under reg. p.u. boxes. For a H.D. 6000# hoist and new bumper it's $3000.00. This isn't a cheap "do it yourself" kit, the under side of the box gets reinforced. I'm thinking about doing this, what do think? I could build a leaf box on it and get a tailgate loader for and and a way I go. Has anyone ever seen this before?

Randy J
11-09-2003, 08:05 AM
I was going to do this to my F350 flatbed, before I sold it. I think it's the best of both worlds. You might check around though - a 12' flatbed was going to cost me $2500 with power up & down. I would think a pickup bed would be less expensive.

Randy

paponte
11-09-2003, 09:21 AM
I have seen the kits for just under $900 in Northern tool. I would just install it myself, and reinforce as I saw fit. $3K sounds a little pricey for a pickup. :cool:

Mgardner
11-15-2003, 03:59 PM
I installed a Rugby hoist 2900 lb. on my Dodge W 250 for 1340.00including shipping, controls, everything you need exept the welding and know-how. It is nice ! and have used it four times this week with humongous loads of leaves on it .

gogetter
11-15-2003, 04:05 PM
Quality, why not go with a dump insert for 2K?? This way you can switch it out to another truck should you ever need to.

Mgardner
11-15-2003, 04:16 PM
Here`s our Rugby.

Mgardner
11-15-2003, 04:20 PM
Another,

GLS
11-15-2003, 06:45 PM
If you don't want to buy a dedicated dump, I would suggest a dump insert for your pickup box.

Although I have never used one of those kits to convert your stock bed into a dump, I don't feel that they are strong enough (at least not the $900 ones). The $3000 kit you are talking about seems kind of steep. Also, I have seen many kits and the bed doesn't seem to line up with the cab right, it sits up higher, it could be installed wrong though, I don't know.

I use a dump insert in my truck. This way, I can use it for cleanups, but take it out for plowing for better visibility. Plus, they are a lot stronger than the original bed. And, with the original bed, material will get caught on the wheel wells.

Just my opinion.

Mgardner
11-15-2003, 07:13 PM
I made a typo, The rugby we installed lifts 6000lbs. Three ton ,rather than 2900lbs. :D

UNISCAPER
11-15-2003, 08:02 PM
We have a 7 ton Rugby under a dump box on an F-450. It will lift over 7 tons of gravel without stalling, we did this at the pit once and dumped it off just to see if what it was made of.

I still like a PTO driven unit, but, the price was right and it works great.

pjslawncare/landscap
11-15-2003, 08:17 PM
I installed one of the Northern lifts under my flatbed on my f250 myself. Not too bad and cost $1,340.00. Yes they surprised me, It will lift a lot of weight. I have a f350 with and rock bed as well for real heavy (10,000#) stuff, but the f250 dumps 4500# no problem. Took a weekend to install also.
Mgardner, thats a nice setup you got there. Yours looks beefier than mine of coarse

Potchkins
11-16-2003, 04:48 AM
how much does a pto
add to the price?

UNISCAPER
11-16-2003, 11:51 AM
It depends on the type of PTO, there are crankshaft driven, transmission driven, and belt driven electrics from the engine.

Typically, you could expect to spend $1,500.00 and up, but before saying that is too much, consider every time the electric hoist fails, or won't lift what you have in the truck. What is your time/man hours worth?

With what we doo, digging patios, walks, trees etc, it is very difficult to gauge how much you put in the truck. A PTO lift stops that problem.

GLS
11-16-2003, 12:33 PM
It's fine that you guys are posting about your hoist for flat decks, but I think he is talking about a hoist for his regualar pickup box, not a flatdeck.

Originally posted by Quality Lawn Care
So I started checking around and found a company that installs hoist kits under reg. p.u. boxes

Mgardner
11-16-2003, 04:47 PM
I was going with the Northern until I got a price on the Rugby. I thought the Rugby was beefier also, and didn`t know anyone with the Northern. I buy stuff from Northern.

Lbilawncare
11-16-2003, 06:12 PM
I agree with OryanO. We have a Venco unit on our 84 Chevy, for the price it has been pretty good, but the bed mount is definately not as sturdy as an insert would be. We don't use it very much because we have a dump trailer ( and the solenoid went bad on it and a new one is hard to locate ) , but I would recommend the insert if you use it a lot. The wheel wells are definately a pain!