PDA

View Full Version : Central PA new to business

lanceslawncare
11-10-2003, 12:51 PM
im new to the biz and was looking for someone to give a few pointers from the area around state college and lock haven PA:blob4:

pottstim
11-13-2003, 01:25 AM
I'm not from Pa, but travel up through that area very often on Route 15 on my way up to Elmira, NY where I am originally from. It is really some pretty countryside up there, especially in the Williamsport and Mansfield areas. I am really glad to see that PennDot is finally 4-laning RT.15. Back about 10 years ago, that was one sorry excuse for a road. Good luck with your business. :)

rockstate
11-20-2003, 04:04 PM
im originally from erie pennsylvania

Tbarchaser
12-07-2003, 10:31 AM
Lance,
I will be up there for two weeks to visit with the in-laws, we drive from Florida every year (dec 22 to jan 2).

Do you live in Lock Haven?

lanceslawncare
12-08-2003, 06:59 AM
yea actually i live in mill hall its a small town just outside of lock haven but theres no space between us to differentiate the two. i will be trying to get work in state college though i just had a friend tell me he is mowing about 2 acres of grass 3 times a month at a big name store in the college area and he is making $1600.00 a month plus he has the snow removal too.

bmh1202
12-13-2003, 12:21 AM
lance- welcome. I'm from Williamsport. The one thing down this way I've noticed is that there are alot of lowballers out there. I tend to specialize and target a specific client. I would imagine there is great potential in State College area. They are predicting that that area will become the 3rd largest metro area in the state in the next few years. Good luck, let me know if you have any questions.

lanceslawncare
12-14-2003, 05:15 PM
hi bmh nice to meet someone closer to hometown thanx for the offering to help if i have any questions. ill be sure to drop u a line if need be.

PoconosRob
12-15-2003, 10:51 AM
Just east of you in the Poconos. Im doing my research on starting a lawn care business of my own.We built a house out here almost 2 years ago.It took me almost 3 weeks of calling lawn care companies to get someone to even show up and give me an estimate! And that was after telling them on the phone that i didnt care what it cost! I just needed it cut!..hehe Speaking from a customers point of view, around here just getting someone to show up is the biggest problem ...and it isnt just lawn care companies...it has been common practice for me to make appointments with 3-4 companies before someone actually comes to the house( I.E. Electricians, plumbers, builders, etc) I should have known it was gonna be like this when i saw a work truck go by the house with a slogan under his business name that said "We show up!"hehehehe I see big potential for anyone in this area with good work ethic

Rob

Tbarchaser
12-17-2003, 11:52 PM
Lance I will be in McElhattan on sun Dec 21st thru jan 2nd. I'm bringing a 6.5x12 trailer up with me to add a side gate, gate assists,trimmer racks, ect. I will be doing all the work at my future Father in laws shop. (Condo's Inc. in Lockhaven). So if you see a Burgundy Durango with Florida tags thats me.

lanceslawncare
12-18-2003, 07:04 AM
ill keep an eye out buddy

Tbarchaser
12-22-2003, 10:06 AM
Lance,
I am up here in Mill Hall now. Do you know of any dealers up here?
I'm building racks for Shinny blowers and all of my stick equipment
and I forgot to get all of my measurements. Call me at 321-377-7849 if you get a sec.
Thanks

Lawn-N-Garden Guy
03-23-2004, 07:30 PM
Hey Lance I'm from down here in Martinsburg ,20 mls south of Altoona

strayer1
03-25-2004, 12:57 AM
hi lance im over here in woodland near clearfield...i have some buddies workin in statecollege.people over in state got DEEP pockets but be prepared for LOTS of competion...let me know how well it goes for you and lots of luck..."if you need a hand feel free to let me know.

lpwhandyman
04-04-2004, 04:22 PM
Hi guys... Mill Hall area here (Just outside Lock Haven) and adding lawn care to the business this year. Just ordered an Exmark 52" Lazer Z HP and will be looking for a trailer to haul it this week. Be glad to work with anybody in the area.
ps: Do you guys think a 12' trailer will be big enough or do you guys find that you outgrow it quickly and wish you had gone bigger, like 14' or 16'?

Lawn-N-Garden Guy
04-04-2004, 05:19 PM
Better get a 14 or 16 now, you will thank yourself later,Where did you get the ZTR at.

lpwhandyman
04-04-2004, 07:38 PM
Dotterer Equipment in State College carries the Exmarks. But I'll be going through one of their other store locations just a couple miles away from home here in Mill Hall.

Lawn-N-Garden Guy
04-04-2004, 08:13 PM
I have an E-Mark dealer in Roaring Spring, McCoys Lawn and Garden Sales,They carried Scag for a number of years but he is slowly phasing them out ,Since he got Exmark a couple yrs ago his sales have gone thru the roof,He also handles Kabota,Toro home line,Stihl,Ever get in a pinch give him a call.