PDA

View Full Version : Web Site for start-up

Qdriver
11-10-2003, 03:28 PM
OK,.. I did scan the 1st four pages of this forum. I did not find the answer to my question, so I feel safe to ask it.

I feel that the cost in money and time for a web site my first season (as part time) is unnecessary.

I know a Web Site is worth the money in the long run. But my question has to do with setting it up at the begining of a part time startup biz..

It's kind of the same question I have to answer in other areas of financing. Wants vs. Needs. I WANT a new crew cab diesel. (I know I will have to have one in the future) But I can only AFFORD a 2nd hand reg cab gas truck to fix-up right now.

So, how many of you STARTED your biz w/a web site? If not, what season did you finally set one up- or would advise a start-up biz to wait to set one up?

Any help is appreciated. Thank You.

George777
11-12-2003, 09:25 PM
I've never done this web stuff. I found that it really is not as hard as it seems. I've been working on mine now for months. I'm not sure it ever really gets done.

I've seen several cases from where having a web presence will seperate you from the others.

I did most of my web pages in the evening when I was not out in the field.

I have not yet got an estimate yet however people have been checking it out from yahoo's search engine.

I'm sure some others who have been around for awhile could give you more pointers than I. I've enjoyed doing this and I found out I may have saved my company $3,000.

I use front page and I know that many do not like it, but I don't write web pages for a living.

Web hosting is rather inexpensive now days.

Florida 5 Star
11-12-2003, 09:29 PM
Web hosting for free
www.1and1.com
:blob3: :blob4: :blob3: :blob4:

Groundcover Solutions
12-03-2003, 10:38 AM
I think web sites are a good thing to have, but they are not going to be a naccesity in your first season. you said you are only working part time too so i don't think you really need one. We use ours manly to show the work that we have done and extra services that we offer. Ours was not put up untill are 3 or 4th year in business. It helps make you business look more established and professional as long as the site is done well and easy to get around. Just my 2 cents

newleaflandscape
12-03-2003, 07:16 PM
We put up the website our first year out. Its nice to put with other advertising like yellow pages and newspaper ads. Makes you look professional. The best thing about a website is for our flyers. They can read our flier the go on our website to see some work we have done and read a little bit about us. I have always made my own. Doesnt look as great as others, but it gets the job done. Always tryin to improve it. You can get your domain name for only 8 bucks a month. Its a cheap advertisement really.

mdvaden
12-13-2003, 05:28 PM
I've had my site about a year and a half. I've been in business form 1988 until then without one.

One pruning service that is booked up three times farther than I am, has no site, and may never need one.

Turboguy
12-16-2003, 10:04 AM
New Leaf,

You mentioned you could get your domain name for only 8 bucks a month. I am not sure if that was a typo or if you mean with hosting. I get my domain names for $ 7.95 a year.

The .com names are going to get harder to get. I think you will start seeing more of the .us. .ws endings. You can still get some cool domains with the other endings. I receintly bought www.lawns.ws and www.sprayers.us and www.hydroseeding.ws and some others.

There are lots of places where you can get a free webiste but you won't get a good address and may have a lot of advertising. I don't think it is imperative to have a website from the start of a business, but I think as time goes by it will be more and more important and it is possible to get a lot of business from the internet.

Team Gopher
12-18-2003, 04:13 PM
Hi Turboguy,

Do you have all those domains forward to your business website?

Turboguy
12-18-2003, 05:49 PM
Hi Gopher,

Yes, generally. It depends on what I want to do with the domains. For example my main sprayer site is www.turfsprayers.com I also have www.treesprayers.com and www.sprayers.us and the domains cost me $ 7.95 a year with free forwarding. So the other sprayer sites just point to the main one and the small amount it costs me is worth it for advertising.

I bought a couple just because they seemed like good names. for example lawns.ws and lawn-seeding.com I really don't know what I want to do with them but they seem like they could be worth having. I have a few that I plan to develop in the future. for example www.hydroseedingsupplies.com

I actually have 6 business websites. Two of those are run just as a service to our customers. Then there is one for our seeders, one for our sprayers one for out straw blowers and one for our anti icing stuff.

newleaflandscape
12-18-2003, 07:41 PM
8 dollars a month but that includes the domain website hosting with no pop up adds or other advertisements. A ton of disk space on the host ten email adresses along with really high bandwith and a bunch of other the junk that I have no clue what it is even for. and its frontpage ready so all I have to do is click publish. If you are getting all that for eight bucks a year then let me know where you are getting it from cause that sounds like a hell of a deal.

Turboguy
12-18-2003, 11:01 PM
Hi Newleaf,

No, that $ 7.95 a year is just for the domain name which was what you had said in your earlier post. I think you are doing good at 8.00 a month with a free domain name. When you are into that kind of money if you are getting good service it is not worth fooling around and shopping. I pay anything from $ 8.00 a month to $ 30.00 depending on the features I need.

Qdriver
12-19-2003, 09:43 AM
Thank you all for your information.

Please understand, I am not familiar AT ALL with ANYTHING about web sites. i.e. how to set them up, how to run them.

I guess you pay a monthly fee just to get and keep the "domain name" then you also have to either set-up the site and run it yourself or find a host that will. Is that about right?

I mainly (for now) would like to buy a name to hold it until I can learn about running a site.

How is this done? I gather from you all that it should cost about $8 dollars per mth to get and hold the "domain name".

Turboguy
12-19-2003, 11:40 AM
Hi Gdriver,

Well, I pay $ 7.95 for a year of holding the name. If you want one that ends in .us or .biz you can get them for $ 4.00 a year right now. The advantage of that is that there are not as many names that have been taken. For example I was receintly able to get the name www.lawns.ws If that name had a .com on the end instead of the .ws, I could probably turn around and sell it for somewhere between $ 10,000 and $ 100,000 maybe more.

The most popular place on the internet to get domain names is www.godaddy.com Go to thier site and just sort of read and you can get an idea about things. If you want to see what names are available, right in the middle of their home page is a data entry screen with the title search for domain names now. You can enter a name you like and it will tell you if they are available. It will also suggest options. For example if you type in greengrasslawns.com it might say that is taken but .ws. .us and .org are available

GoDaddy is the most popular for names, it is not the most popular or necessarily the best to actually host your account. Since you are not ready for that, just go check out names. Buy one if you find one you like and when you are ready for more, let us know.

A host will have computers (servers they are called) logged into the interent. They will sell you storage space and the connection.
Sometimes you compare by the amount of storage space you get and the bandwidth, which is sorta like the amount of data you can supply people (in simple terms)

Turboguy
12-19-2003, 02:28 PM
Hi Gdriver,

I have some time and thought I would get into this a little more. When you are ready for the hosting you need to get your site on the internet. These are the things you need to decide.

A. To host it yourself or have it hosted. (This is a no brainer. You can host it yourself, but you don't want to do that.

Where to have it hosted?

There are free places. You won't usually get a good address. such as www.yourcompany.com You will likely have pop up ads on your site. You will possibly be rather limited in the software to create your site.

There are thousands of pay places. PowWeb is popular right now. They are $ 7.77 a month and seem to be good. I have one site with them. I use 5 or 6 hosting companies but should consolodate. The latest one I hooked up with was www.hostrocket.com They are $ 9.99 a month but for that site I have to have some pretty good data base capabilites Most are good. Just ask here and you can get lots of suggestions.

The next choice is to have someone build it, or to build it yourself. If you want to build it yourself I would suggest buying FrontPage which is easy to use ($ 139.00 +/-) You can learn it in a day and have a web site up quickly. There are templates or themes included with Frontpage. They look bad. You can get a professionally designed template to build your site with. Then all you do is change the words and the photos. I would talk to TeamGopher about it and also check out www.pixelmill.net Your cost on a spiffy template will be aobut $ 50.00 You can get them for free or for less.

If you don't feel comfortable doing one yourself you can have one done. I believe TeamGopher does web sites and he knows the industry. Thre are others here. I am sure if you post something you will find a number of people who would love to do a web site for you and will do a good job. A professioonally designed web site can range from a few hundred to a few thousand.

Hope I helped you a bit here.