PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of buying frontpage

newleaflandscape
11-14-2003, 02:22 PM
I have been thinking about buying frontpage to build my website. I just use some cheap sitebuilding program right now. Makes you enter tons of html code. Heard frontpage was a little easier and faster to work with. Wondering if any of you have it and would like to here some pros and cons.

MacLawnCo
11-24-2003, 07:53 PM
frontpage is a breeze. Ive used it on multiple basic sites, and it does everything for you. Im now working on a huge, very complicated site and am going to be watching since its way too complex for me.

Turboguy
11-25-2003, 12:08 PM
FrontPage is very easy to work with. If you just read thier quick start manual and follow the directions in a few hours you will have mastered all the techniques to do a nice website.

You can create a very nice looking site with Frontpage easily and quickly. One of the things I do on many of my sites is to go somewhere like www.pixelmill.net and just find a pre-made template that I thnk looks cool so I have a sharp design. Then all I have to worry about is what pages I want, what I want to say and what photos I want on my site.

Groundcover Solutions
11-30-2003, 01:49 PM
Frontpage is great it is what i have used for a few years now and it is not at all hard to work with it. do a surch on yahoo for frontpage templates, there are lots of them out there and it makes your work a whole lot easyer.

MacLawnCo
11-30-2003, 02:22 PM
Matt,

did you do your superiorgroundcover site in front page? Looks great

Groundcover Solutions
12-01-2003, 12:02 AM
Nope that was higherd out to a web development company. I did do my old Hometown site from front page and a template but alase it is no longer in operation because the company no longer exists. But yes the site was done by a pro and it is my partners site I am starting a devision of that company down in South Eastern Michigan this spring that site is under development and so is the company. But thanks for the complaments!!!

mdvaden
12-07-2003, 02:10 AM
Hey...

New Leaf Landscape - I have that name registered here in Oregon...

Just kidding. Think I mentioned that on the G. W. forum.

I wish I still had one of the business cards from back then. It would be half way to being an antique by now.

indmowing
12-09-2003, 12:48 AM
Frontpage is easy to use. Great for beginners that's for sure. You don't have to have any html scripting experience. Which is obviously a bonus, but at the same time if you want to add Java or video or any kind of special effect and know the code you can!

You can actually do websites like superiorgroundcover on frontpage. The images are split and are in tables. Very good website BTW :)

You might want to suggest to your partner that they put some Meta tags in which will considerably help his listing on search engines etc. Depending if you guys want to be on the search engines of course :)

Meta Tags can be done in Front Page also, without much difficulty. There is information all over the net on the best way to do meta tages and where to put them. Worth the time, I am suprised the Pro's didn't do it for them.

TAke care and all the best

Ebony

newleaflandscape
12-14-2003, 10:19 PM
I ended up buying it. I am already loving it. Real simple to use and already published my web. Still working on making it a little more fancy looking. What is the easiest ways to meta tags on there for the search engines if anyone knows.

indmowing
12-15-2003, 01:04 AM
Option No. 1: On the “File” menu go to “Properties”. Then click on the "Custom" Tab. Under User Variables you'll see two entries already in the box (GENERATOR & ProgId). Click the Add button to the right of these and under name type in either "description" or "keywords" and then enter the Value (here you enter the description or the keywords depending the "Name" set) then click OK. If you entered the description then do the same again (Press the Add Button... etc) and enter the details for keywords. See Illustration Below.

http://www.indmowing.com.au/IMAGES/Meta Tags.JPG

Or Option No. 2 is to click on the HTML tag at the bottom of your page and enter in the Meta Tags in the HTML format window. e.g.

http://www.indmowing.com.au/IMAGES/tag.JPG

Most of the above is automatically generated by FrontPage. It doesn't matter which order you put it in.

Hope this helps.

I had to put the meta tag info into an image (2nd image in this post) as it kept picking it up as HTML and so it was vanishing from my post. hehe, fancy that!

Take care and all the best

Ebony

Turboguy
12-15-2003, 07:40 AM
Wow, I have seen a lot of people explain how to do meta tags and I have tried to help people myself with this many times but I have to say Ebony did the best job of answering I have seen.

I will ad a couple of things. If you use option 1. When your pop up window first appears you have a good place to easily edit the page title.

Most search engines don't pay much attention to keywords any more but you still need to do them. You keywords are a list of the words you think people might use to search for you site, sepaerated by a comma. for example: landscaping, lawn care, lawn service, etc

The three meta tags you want to worry about are title, description and keywords. The title and description are very important. Try to use some important search words in the title and description if you can. For example a title of "quality work by an experience professional" will not work well. "Landscaping and lawn care in Green Bay Wisconson has a good chance of coming up when someone does a search for "lawn care Green Bay"

Try to use some of your keywords early in your page text. That can help a lot. Don't overdo it though or the search engines will consider it spam and bar you.

Once you have your keywords in you can go to www.scrubtheweb.com and have them analized for free. Once you have them in you can go to www.selfpromotion.com and get listed with a lot of seach engines quickly and easily (free also)

Good Luck

mdvaden
12-15-2003, 01:58 PM
I just had my web guy post a new list of meta tag keywords. I'm aware its not a major factor, but it is a factor. So if its there, I'd like it to relevant.

Also, if its not major now, maybe it will be later. Since search engines experiment and change, I'd rather have all components right in case they alter their criteria.

Wells
12-16-2003, 12:20 AM
Turboguy,

Thanks for the great advice on purchasing a pre-made template from pixelmill.net.

Never used Frontpage before but thought I would give it a try. I purchased a pre-made template from pixelmill and then jumped right in. Took about 2 days to complete. Added a few flash effects and wala....it's done.

Check it out.. not to bad for a first timer.

Please provide any feedback that you may have. All suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

www.wellslawncare.com

Turboguy
12-16-2003, 07:06 AM
Absolutely awsome. I have seen professionally done sites that did not look that good. I found nothing at all wrong up to this point. I will try to check back once you get your photo page up and spend some time checking your meta tags etc just to see if there are some tiny things I can help you with. You did great. Anyone thinking about doing their own site with frontpage or going other ways should take a peek at your site

newleaflandscape
12-16-2003, 06:21 PM
Wells

How did you get your logo to do that effect, that looks really cool.

Wells
12-16-2003, 09:11 PM
newleaflandscape,

It's a 3D animation saved out as a gif file.
Easy to use software and simple to create.

Wells
12-16-2003, 09:13 PM
newleafanimation,

It's a 3D animation saved out as a gif file.
Easy to use software and simple to create.

newleaflandscape
12-17-2003, 09:57 PM
what did you make the animation with what program?

Wells
12-17-2003, 11:09 PM
newleaflandscaping,

created with Xara3D
try Xara.com

Wells
12-17-2003, 11:14 PM
here's another.

Definatly adds a flavor to a site.

DannyHatt
01-31-2004, 05:41 AM
Originally posted by newleaflandscape
I have been thinking about buying frontpage to build my website. I just use some cheap sitebuilding program right now. Makes you enter tons of html code. Heard frontpage was a little easier and faster to work with. Wondering if any of you have it and would like to here some pros and cons.

Frontpage is great, but if you get too fancy with it, hover buttons etc, your host most have what is known as Frontpage extensions.