PDA

View Full Version : Truck engine noise problem for GM

Runner
11-17-2003, 02:04 PM
Has anyone experienced this noise problem in their trucks? It affects the 1999-2002 Chevy and GMC pickups and sport-utility models with 4.8-, 5.3-, and 6.0 liter V-8 engines and is an engine knocking noise. GM says the noise isn't a problem, and changes to some 2002 and all 2003 models alleviate it. Lemon law lwyers say that GM has bought some trucks back. My '97 GMC had a 5.7, and made a little ticking noise when it was first started cold, but that is common for these motors. This, I am told, is an actual loud knocking. This has me wondering,- because I am looking at buying a new truck soon, and one of the trucks I am really interested in, is a '99 3/4 ton. ext.cab 4x, and it has this 6.0 engine in it. Even though the truck has 100,000 on it, it runs and drives great, and is pretty clean. The owner is asking 13,900, however, I believe he'll come down to around 12. While 100,000 sounds like alot of miles, on these newer trucks, it really isn't that many for an engine that is treated right. These thing just go and go. As I said, it runs and drives great, and you can tell it was taken well care of. Any input would be greart, - thanks. Here is the article about it.

DETROIT (AP)--A Florida couple and a Michigan man have filed a lawsuit against General Motors Corp., claiming their trucks had such noisy engines that they were useless.

Kim and Daniel Powell of Castleberry, Fla., and John Lott of Brownstown Township, Mich., filed the suit Friday in U.S. District Court in Detroit, their lawyers said.

Attorney Ann K. Mandt of Charfoos & Christensen said the plaintiffs have asked the court to certify the case as a class action.

GM spokesman Brian Akre said the company had not seen the lawsuit and had no immediate comment.

In a statement, Charfoos & Christensen said GM has sold more than 800,000 vehicles since 1999 with defective engines that produce excessive exhaust emissions and ``knock'' so loudly that the owners ``are unable to effectively use their vehicles and can certainly not sell or trade them for fair value.''

J. Douglas Peters of Charfoos & Christensen said he's aware of at least two instances in which GM has bought back a truck from an owner because of the engine noise.

GM has acknowledged the problem, which it said surfaced when it moved to a new family of engines. But the automaker said it does not affect engine performance and that it was corrected in later-model vehicles.

According to dealer service bulletins obtained by the Detroit Free Press for a story Friday, vehicles with the engine knock problem include 1999 through 2002 Chevy and GMC pickups and sport-utility models with 4.8-, 5.3- and 6.0-liter V8 engines.

The bulletins say the noises are not detrimental to the vehicles.

``I paid almost $35,000 for this truck. The truck is almost worthless,'' said Greg MacNeil, who bought a 2001 Chevrolet Silverado two years ago. ``In good conscience, I couldn't sell this truck to someone else.''

GM officials say carbon and the amount of clearance between the piston and the cylinder wall are the primary causes of the knocking engines.

GM spokesman Tom Read said the automaker has addressed the issue by making design changes to the piston in some 2002 vehicles and all 2003 vehicles with the noise. GM has cut the amount of space between the piston and the cylinder so the amount of rocking is reduced.

___

General Motors Corp., http://www.gm.com

AP-NY-11-14-03 1748EST

Copyright 2003, The Associated Press. The information contained in the AP Online news report may not be published, broadcast or redistributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press.

dobehap
11-17-2003, 02:33 PM
The ticking noise is almost like a cosmetic issue.
It doest effect the performance/ durability of an engine.
I rarely hear anything "bad" about the GM Vortec engines.
IMO, they are very good engine.

see my other post in the other "ticking thread" about my truck.

65hoss
11-17-2003, 04:00 PM
A buddy of mine has one with 25,000 miles on it. GM told him that is normal and they are going to issue all 6.0 motors a 100,000 mile warrenty to help take people's mind off it. It is a carbon buildup. A friend of ours owns a mechanic shop. He decarboned the motor last week and the knock is gone. It will be back when the carbon builds back up, but its nothing to worry about.