PDA

View Full Version : Simplicity replacement engine?

FerrisDJB
11-19-2003, 08:40 AM
I need to replace the 12.5hp IC that came on my Simplicity (circa 1990) model#4212H (hydro). I want an engine with more HP and an oil pump system rather than splash, as in the 12.5hp IC series. I was hoping to find someone with ideas on what to use. The hydro unit is the reason I'm keeping the tractor. So any ideas on what to use?? I contacted Simplicity and that was a wasted effort. Comments and questions from the gallery.....please!

UNISCAPER
11-19-2003, 10:11 AM
I would put in a Brigs 14hp Vangaurd, or a 14hp Kohler. No matter what you choose, you may or may not have some minor modifications to get it to work, such as muffler location and shrouding for that tractor, Carb cables, etc....
The crankshaft should be the same size so all you do is bolt up your Simplicity stuff and go. Cost for one of those engines may vary, we were paying around $780.00 with tax and shipping for them.

FerrisDJB
11-19-2003, 03:39 PM
Thanks for the reply. I have been looking at the Vanguard series, I believe it will fit. The muffler might have to be modified but the base will bolt right-up and the frontal area should clear the grill shroud. I haven't had any experience with the Vanguard line of Briggs., Kohler and Kaws are the bigger engines I've dealt with. If the Vanguards have any cons...what might they be? Thanks for any comments and replies.

UNISCAPER
11-19-2003, 05:10 PM
We have alwaysb had great luck with them, but, the key with anything is changing oil...We recommend every 25-30 hours/

Only issue we had with one was early on, dropped a valve seat on a 100 degree day. That engine had over 3900 hours on it.

mowahman
11-30-2003, 10:27 PM
go on over to smallenginewarehuse.com. They have a section for Simplicity and Allis-Chalmers tractors. Good prices and Great people to deal with. Dealt with them recently when trying to find a replacement engine for my older Giant Vac leaf loader.