PDA

View Full Version : Residential mowing, 3/4 acre...

Linsy
11-19-2003, 04:58 PM
Hello!

I've spent many late nights reading this forum, and I've learned so much that I'm now considered dangerous!

I currently mow approximately 35000sqft of lawn with a JD63C caster-wheel 21" mower. It takes me about 3-4 hours to do it all at the same time (which I don't out of frustration).

I've more or less decided to purchase commercial equipment for obvious reasons, and am leaning toward a Gravely 36" ProG Pro-Steer WB. It's clear that the Kawasaki engines are better than the alternatives, and I can't see myself spending good money for a machine handicapped by a B&S engine.

That said, I continue to wrestle with the strong desire for a ZTR, versus the more cost-effective commercial WB. I live in NH so leaf clean-up is a concern in the fall. I hear all about the ability of the commercial WB's leaf-shredding capabilities, but there are so darn many leaves in my yard in the fall, I can't bring myself to just mulch them.

I've looked at the Toro Timecutters and the Ariens Zooms, but again, I'm lacking confidence that they'll give me 15-20 years of service. Someone suggested I look at the Husky Swedish Rider, Pro-V2. Haven't looked at it yet, and don't know much about it, but again, several people have told me they are very nice machines for what I need.

I used to work for a landscaper a very long time ago, and have some experience with Toro WBs, but that's it. I hope to get some advise from the professionals, because while I don't have unlimited funds for this purchase, I do want to spend my money once and am not trying to buy cheap for cheap-sake.

Thanks in advance for your guidance!
Chris

jajwrigh
02-07-2004, 06:18 PM
I have been in your very shoes...let me save you some time and money:

1. Don't buy the toro timecutter! This is like my Dixon! Made for the homeowner and not the commercially minded.
2. Take care of what you buy and it will last (not 15-20 years though!!)
3. Start off with an old 21" and find a used 36" wb. Check www.us.trader.com
4. Save tons of money from the start and build your clientele!!!
5. Good luck friend!