PDA

View Full Version : swap? or buy?

85w/350
10-23-2000, 11:40 PM
I recently came across a 89 K-5 Blazer 4x4 37,000mi on a newer 350 $5000 obo. Which is fairly cheap down here in Southern Louisiana for a truck. Problem is that i dont trust where the previous owners have taken it--to the local mud hole ect. I currently own a 85 GMC sierra classic 2wd with a 350 and lots of mods in great shape 20,000miles on this new engine. I have owned it since the truck had 4500miles on the previous engine. Overall the truck has 220,000miles on the body and chassis but runs great. I have invested ????$ into it. The truck is mechanically strong and has a good original paint job on it. I was looking into buying this newer vehicle but I would not trust it nearly as much....can anyone tell me what kind of cost I am looking at to buy an old 4x4 shortbed frame and paint/build it up myself and swap my body onto it...I know it will take time and money but i think personally the piece of mind and the extra pride i will have for my truck will be worth it.....any help or personal stories are appreciated? Time expected to be spent? I have a more than general understanding of mechanics and anything i cant do my uncle who used to rebuild/race cars will help...In my family we are expected to wear bowties on every occasion! :)