PDA

View Full Version : webites and servers

Paradise Landscapes
12-19-2003, 11:10 AM
When Owning a website,
1) Do you need a server?
2) What companies are good to choose from?
3) Any other Ideas?

Any input is greatly appreciated as always fellas.

~~ Charles ~~

Turboguy
12-21-2003, 10:12 AM
Hi Paradise,

In this big world, I see we are almost neighbors. Here are my thoughts. You need a web hosting company. It is possible to hook to the internet and host it yourself. You really don't want to do that. There are tons of good hosting companies.

I would recommend www.godaddy.com as the best place at the moment to get a domain name. I would rate them average for hosting. The hosting company that seems pretty good to me at the moment is www.powweb.com. I would give them 4 and a half stars. The latest one I picked to host a site is www.hostrocket.com. I took their $9.95 a month speical because I need really good database capabilities on that site. The other hosting companies a use, (valueweb,reliant,spunkyworld) are all fine. Most companies that host websites are pretty reliable. I would stay away from a company who is just starting up. It is nice to try and get some comments on how good the customer service is. I sort of like ones with a discussion forum and you can read the comments there and see how fast they help thier customers.

edger
12-23-2003, 07:01 PM
I have https://www.networksolutions.com for my domain parking. I'll host it with a friend.

Turboguy
12-23-2003, 07:22 PM
There was a time when thinking about Network Solutions made me cringe. They were origionally the only game in town and when you have a monopoly you get very bureaucratic. They were as bad as you could get. Competion and a few law suits has made them a little more honest and almost human to work with. They are ok now. Of course they are also three times more expensive than others who do the same thing a lot more conviniently.

I still have at least 3 domains with them but would like to switch them someday just because.

newleaflandscape
12-24-2003, 01:44 PM
I use tripod. Its like 8.95 a month includes domain name hosting email addresses lots of space and they are front page enabled. I have had pretty good luck with them so far.