PDA

View Full Version : How to break in your leather boots in two hours

tx_angler
12-23-2003, 11:18 AM
I learned this trick many years ago from a Rodeo barrel racer when I had a pair of Tony Llama boots I thought I'd never be able to break-in.

Wear your normal socks and new boots on until your feet start to hurt. Without taking the boots or socks off, take a rubbing alcohol soaked cotton swab and saturate the outside of the boot where the pressure points are hurting your feet. Really soak the spot to get the leather wet all the way through. Youíll feel instant relief as the leather expands. Now continue to wear the boots until the alcohol completely evaporates and your boot will be broken in. The alcohol will not leave any mark on the boot.

Merry Christmas!

Rich's Lawn Care
12-23-2003, 11:26 AM
I hate breaking in boots!! Thanks for the info i will try with my next boots,

BOTURF
12-23-2003, 01:09 PM
this may sound weird but a boot store told me this many years ago when i was wearing western boots all the time . Most were hard to break in such as lizard and aligator skin boots . They told me to put the boots in a bath tub and really soak them till they were saturated then put plastic bags on your feet and put boots on and wear them till they dryed . This did really work . then another store told me the first time you put boots on they should be confortable and feel like you have wore them for months so i went with latter

LawnScapers of Dayton
12-23-2003, 02:09 PM
I learned that in Boy Scouts....

Critical Care
12-23-2003, 05:50 PM
I heard about the soaking in water trick but after hearing a shoe repairman warn me against it I never did try it. More than likely he wouldn't suggest using alcohol either, and I'm not so sure I'd want to experiment with a pair of boots that cost me a days wages.

rtyus
12-24-2003, 12:19 AM
The alcohol or the water either one will work and normally shouldn't cause any damage to the leather. But Boturf is right, take a little time and find a pair that are comfortable and fit right from day one and you don't have to break'em in.

vipermanz
12-24-2003, 05:21 AM
i used some stuff called sno-seal that helped to soften mine up alot, it's a beeswax waterproofer:)

BOTURF
12-24-2003, 07:45 AM
i always heard thos beewax type waterproofers are bad for the leather, the leather has to breath or it wont last thats why they suggest having 2 pair of boots and wear them every other day . Iam with critial care when you spend several hundred bucks on a pair of exotic skin boots i aint taking any chances

Grassmechanic
12-24-2003, 09:47 AM
Bo-turf - Sno-Seal, or beeswax based waterproofers are the best. Bear Grease and other animal fat based waterproofers are what causes leather deterioration. I've got a pair of kangaroo leather boots for upland game hunting that are over 10 years old and I use Sno-Seal every year on them.

TreffertLawnWrx
12-24-2003, 10:41 AM
Ive never had to break in my flip-flop's? :D try those they provide the most protection in my daily mowing :D

proenterprises
12-24-2003, 12:02 PM
i wear timberland pro

doublesharp
12-24-2003, 05:19 PM
Best way to break in a ball glove is to soak it in water, then make a pocket by pounding a ball into it, then put ball in pocket and tie a string around the glove and ball and let it dry. After it's dry rub mitt down with shaving creme. The lanolin makes it soft and protects the leather. A new glove is ready to use in a couple of days. Would probably work on boots too but I'm not going to try it on high dollar Tony Lamas

TURF DOCTOR
12-24-2003, 05:22 PM
Good deal.

the scaper
12-24-2003, 10:20 PM
go tromping around in a trout stream all day, then keep on wearing them till they're dry, then take them off and oil them, then bandage your feet, then wear bedroom slippers for two days, then put your boots back on and your ready to go!

twwlawn
12-25-2003, 10:40 AM
New boots were always a pain at first, then I got a pair of Redwings and got their boot oil. I put that boot oil on twice a day for three days, then I wear them. No problems. The other thing was the insoles in them and other boots, I replace them with Redwing orthotic inserts and its like walking on clouds. Ever since doing that, my feet don't bark anymore.

HicksGroundMgt
12-25-2003, 12:24 PM
try this method i garuntee that you won't get blisters. i learned this from breaking in new cleats playing football.

wearing a good pair of thick socks, take bar soap and rub it on the socks till you can see it build up. do it on all pressure points of your foot (balls, heels, yada yada). the soap will start to foam up slightly inside your boot lubricating your foot from getting any blisters and making your feet smell nice. you won't get a blister i swear it works!

with this method you don't have to put treat you boots in any way. just put them on and go. i've done it with every pair of boots i've owned since 1996 and have neeever gotten a blister or had sore feet at the end of the day.