12-29-2003, 02:02 PM
check this out

looks like fun to me!

http://www.myweb.cableone.net/jlflanagan/lion.wmv

Jim

ElephantNest
12-29-2003, 02:28 PM
LMAO

The way they shoot they deserved to be eaten.

BigEd
12-29-2003, 04:39 PM
I am an avid fisherman and hunter. With that said,"that is one of the most unethical hunts I have ever seen" a disgrace to hunting.
They just about killed each other.The fist shot was takin to soon in my opinion,no way he had a good vital shot.That why they about got ate.

Sauls1686
12-29-2003, 06:05 PM
Another reason I don't hunt. I am a strong gun rights/gun guy, but hunting is stupid IMHO. If you are gonna hunt, hunt somthing dangerous. But after seeing that video i almost wish the lion had won........................the idiots.

1stclasslawns
12-29-2003, 06:13 PM
sauls,

If hunting were totally banned today in 10 years there would be only scavenger species left.

Ethical hunting is more selective harvesting then anything else, a balanced ecosystem is necessary being that we humans are the top of the food chain in most places it is up to us to maintain that balance.

Fact not just opinion.

I wanted to be a game warden when I was younger.

Sauls1686
12-29-2003, 06:22 PM
Yeah I actually understand that. I don't want to get all you hunters mad. I just don't have the guts to blow away an animal that has done no wrong in my eyes, and I would rather see the animal live, than have me kill it.

1stclasslawns
12-29-2003, 07:45 PM
Sauls
Ya had me worried for a bit.....I knew you wernt no bunny huggin' liberal!!! You support Bush!!!!(YEA)

Jim

Sauls1686
12-29-2003, 08:20 PM
I don't really get why vegetarians and such are always considered liberal. I was a vegetarian for a while, and I
for sure am no liberal.

I realize that PETA has ruined it for people who would rather
not eat animals etc. People think you have a disease or somthing if you eat all vegetables. My dad said it was as
bad as if I had said i was gay. That really mad me mad.

As you can guess, I am not a vegetarian anymore. There are a couple reasons that I am once again an omnivour.

1. Pressure

It was horrible, people making fun of you constantly. My family was the worst. And did I mention that my GF's family was one that hunted a lot?!

2. Health risks. I still believe that a minimal meat diet is best. I do not eat a lot of meat compared to the average indivdual. Vegetable based is defidently the way to go. Look at all the orientals--how long they live and how skinny they are.

3. My Bible. I was reading one night and found a verse that says somthing about in the last days there will be "false prophets" (somthing like that) that will forbid people to eat meat. Well if you read the Bible much, false prophet is not a name you want to hang around your neck. The Bible never says that eating meat is bad, and it forbids people to condem what other's eat. (mostly had to do with the temple sacrifices though)

4. I did not want to be associated with PETA. When I hear a PETA person I might agree with some of what they are saying but then I say pass the steak :D since they are the worlds biggest morons.

DaddyRabbit
12-29-2003, 08:21 PM
That was the equivalent of "shooting fish in a barrel". I see no reason to hunt a lion unless it has become a man eater of sorts. I believe in gun rights and all of the above where the right to bear arms is concerned but antics like this is what literally kills the reputation of the Hunter.

AVRECON
12-29-2003, 08:58 PM
I won't even bother looking at the vid. or whatever. It sounds like a "shooting fish in the barrel" kinda deal from reading whats been posted.
Folks that do that crap is what most non hunters picture when you say, "I'm going hunting".:blob2:

1stclasslawns
12-29-2003, 09:26 PM
This was a fair chase hunt. In an area of afreca that was over populated with lions a permit sort of thing.

AVRECON IF YOU HAVNOT WATCHED IT YOU HAVE NO COMMENT.

It was not a fish in a barrell thing or so the storie I was told goes.

Jim

I posted it because the hunter almost got it because of stupidity.

GreginAlaska
12-29-2003, 11:33 PM
I know some people won't hunt or eat meat because they don't want to kill anything...I can respect that. The thing is, something has to die for us to live. God made it that way. It might not have a cute face, or a face at all, but the fact remains that something has to die for us to eat.

That said, I'm not for irresponsibleand reckless hunting. You should know what you're doing and make the kill as quickly and cleanly as possible.

Phishook
12-30-2003, 01:02 AM
he got his money's worth on that hunt.

The camera and shooters point of view are from two totally different angles. Quartering away should have gave him a good enough shot.
I imagine an African hunt is more nerve racking, than the typical North American white tail hunt. He's just lucky he had a GOOD guide.

that last shot probably wasn't necessary. But if it was me, I might have thrown a few more

geogunn
12-30-2003, 08:27 AM
it seems to me that hunting dangerous african plains animals is a good justification for owning assault weapons!

I think I'll go out and buy a few more assault weapons in case I get to go to africa some day. ;)

GEO

Movinfr8
12-30-2003, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by Phishook
he got his money's worth on that hunt.

The camera and shooters point of view are from two totally different angles. Quartering away should have gave him a good enough shot.
I imagine an African hunt is more nerve racking, than the typical North American white tail hunt. He's just lucky he had a GOOD guide.

that last shot probably wasn't necessary. But if it was me, I might have thrown a few more

Agreed on all three!

did anyone else cringe when the guy in the background fell to the ground as the hunter swept across the small group of people with his rifle? Actually, in hindsight I think it was the best place to be!
Thats why they call it dangerous game...

AVRECON
12-30-2003, 12:56 PM
I watched the vid, and unless those guys intend on eating that cat, I wish it would have killed every damn one of those hunters. Hunting for something you're going to eat is one thing, but killing an awsome animal like that, just to put his head over the mantle is another. Disgusting!

Phishook
12-30-2003, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by AVRECON
I watched the vid, and unless those guys intend on eating that cat, I wish it would have killed every damn one of those hunters. Hunting for something you're going to eat is one thing, but killing an awsome animal like that, just to put his head over the mantle is another. Disgusting!

Disgusting would be letting the lions over populate the area, killing the farmers livestock, and all the native game. Then watching the lions die of malnutrition and disease. That would be disgusting.
Lowering the herd(pride?) numbers seems a little more practical.

And a little more fun too!!!:gunsfirin Die you little pussycat, Die!:gunsfirin

;)

AVRECON
12-30-2003, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by Phishook
Disgusting would be letting the lions over populate the area, killing the farmers livestock, and all the native game. Then watching the lions die of malnutrition and disease. That would be disgusting.
Lowering the herd(pride?) numbers seems a little more practical.

And a little more fun too!!!:gunsfirin Die you little pussycat, Die!:gunsfirin

;)
You are right on target with your statements. But it is my understanding that the big cats are on the decline because of being over hunted. I'm all for hunting when it's done in a ethical manner. I hunt myself, but only when I plan to eat what I kill or know someone else that would like for me to bring them some of the meat from the kill.

1stclasslawns
12-30-2003, 06:11 PM
That peticular cat from what I have understood about it, is a rejected leader of a pride. He was whipped by a stronger member and replaced as leader of the pride. These cats are the ones that kill livestock because of its age cannot always hunt like it needs to. The government sells permits to hunters at a price so high few can afford to hunt them. The funds from this hunt actually employ additional wardens to protect other cats, elephants, rhinos, and such. It is a win-win situation they get rid of a cat who is no longer productive, one that is a very potential problem, and get money to hire more wardens.

Sounds like GOOD MANAGEMENT to me. But too many uneducated do-gooders with their bunny hugging ideas is about to ruin the whole process. These countries now have educated biologist to oversee these places. Most of these biologist are there by private funded groups looking to further all animal groups.

It is a delicate balance between a productve operation trying to save the wildlife, and feed the people.

Jim

Phishook
12-31-2003, 12:43 AM
Amen Jim.

geogunn
12-31-2003, 07:53 AM
if it weren't for hunters/fishers/sportsmen-women conserving habitat, developers would have paved nost of the world by now.

GEO

GreginAlaska
12-31-2003, 08:21 AM
Finally got the video to load up. That must have been an adrenline pumper!

It sure looked like the first shot was a good hit but I guess lions are pretty tough.

"did anyone else cringe when the guy in the background fell to the ground as the hunter swept across the small group of people with his rifle? "

YES! I had to run it back and forth a couple of times because I thought he might have been shot. Looks like he was backing up and tripped over a bush?

broken leg
01-04-2004, 06:07 PM
I love to hunt but I eat what I hunt except Foxes vermin. Lion hunting like that is not hunting it killing to be killing. Yes I hunt deer and other game for the meat I would like a trophy deer some day but I hunt for the meat. That guide should have his license taken a way. And I don't think any body in that group could shoot. I carry a 44mag all the time when I hunt it might not have killed him real quick but it would have stopped his advance.

indmowing
01-05-2004, 03:39 AM
"This was a fair chase hunt. In an area of afreca that was over populated with lions..."
I was under the impression, and have been for quite some time that certain countries are highly over populated with people. In such countries where there is not enough food or water or the main factor "Money" to feed them. Phishook, is it disgusting that we leave them to die of malnutrition and disease.

I know the above comment is not a realistic or fair statement. However what is realistic is that Lion didn’t look to be suffering from malnutrition to me. He looked pretty damn fit and able to take his fair share.

I have also been hearing that America and England in most cases are Highly over populated with Men, I'm all for "good management" and lowering the herd :) lol

Sorry got off track a little there hehe.

From how I understand it Africa is not over Populated with Lions, and yes they are on the decrease. The other "dangerous" and Hunted animals in Africa are Elephants and they are also on the HIGH decrease, despite the fact that they are protected. “cough cough” whatever that means. My cousin has a ranch in Africa and they manage to live in harmony with these creatures not a problem. If they did need to put an animal down they would at least be humane about it.

It is not as if these animals are vermin, and I agree with some comments already made, that this hunting is for the KILL and no other reason.

I grew up on a farm and of course pests need to be eradicated and numbers need to be kept under control.

I guess my main problem with this Video is that there is a Video! If an animal has to die for whatever reason, do we really have to sit here and have some people virtually salivate over it’s demise. Cheering and giving “high fives”