PDA

View Full Version : Need Opinion Metro 21"

John Gamba
12-31-2003, 04:32 PM
I Would like to know how this mower is, How well does it discharge and how well will it mulch in taller wetter grass.
Thanks Happy New Year!
John

Cut 2 Please
12-31-2003, 04:48 PM
I believe that the Metro 21 and the toro Pro-line are about the same. Several years ago I had a Toro Pro-line w/2cycle engine. It was a good mower but was agrivating when you had to dump the bag. The handle that released the bag operates a door which swings to the inside of the discharge chute. If you let the bag get to full and the chute pack full of grass the door did not want to swing properly and you had to clean the grass out first. I was not real crazy about the way it mulched either.
I bought a new Snapper Commercial Hi-Vac and got the mulch plate and Ninja blade for it last night. I have not gotten a chance to use it yet but am looking foward to. My dealer made me and offer I could not pass up ($559) so I jumped on it. I called a few friends that are using Snappers and none of them had anything bad to say about theirs. Hope mine works out to be as good as my friends say they are.

wojo23323
12-31-2003, 05:37 PM
I used the Toro version. It cut very well, but it is also very heavy for a 21" and will leave ruts.

Quality Cuts PLS
12-31-2003, 05:45 PM
John, Is that a die cast Exmark, or is it some fancy photo work.

Rick Jones
12-31-2003, 05:59 PM
The Metro 21" and the ProLine 21" are essentially identical, except the 2 cycle is not offered on the Exmark version. Just the Kawasaki OHV 4-stroke, which is about the best 4-cycle 21" mower engine available.

The commercial 21" is an excellent mulching mower, probably about the best. Although very tall, wet grass will probably clump a bit, as it will with any 21". As for discharging, the plastic discharge tunnel doesn't have a real direct path, like a Lawn-Boy, for example does, so it only works well with minimal amounts of clippings.

While these mowers are heavy, that is the price you pay for solid components and the industry's thickest deck.

Bottom line is if you are looking for a 21", the ProLine/Metro are the best out there.

joed
12-31-2003, 06:04 PM
John,

I believe the Metro 21" and Toro Proline are identical. I just bought a proline with the 6 hp kawasaki in April and like it very much. It moves very quickly, is extremely well built and stripes wonderfully. It mulches very well too but if the grass is too wet or too thick, it will clump up a bit. The bag holds a lot put is a pain to empty. As far as side discharging, well you can get a chute for it that goes on the rear but it does not work very well. Beyond that, it is an excellent machine and probably the best 21" mower I have used. This upcoming year, I think the metro and toro 21" units will be available with the 5.5 hp honda engine or a new 6 hp Kawasaki that is a bit more powerful than the one I have. Below is a picture of what the machine did on one of my lots. Good luck.

stripes with a 21" toro proline mower

LLandscaping
12-31-2003, 06:17 PM
We have two Toro Prolines, one is a 5.5 Kawasaki, the other is a 5.5 2-stroke. We have had the four stroke for four wears with no problems. The 2-stroke is nice because there is no oil changes, but in really thick grass it doesn't have the torque of the 4-stroke. The 2-stroke also has a larger gas tank and is lighter.

Adam,
Lovell's Lawn Care

dishboy
12-31-2003, 06:48 PM
I ran Toro's for five or more years while in Oregon. Nice cutting machine but the Chute is to small for tall wet

odin
12-31-2003, 07:02 PM
i HAVE BOTH THE TORO proline and the metro 21....the only difference is the toro has recycler kickers for better mulching and different engine options ..if you bag the metro has a hair advantage if you mulch the toro has the advantage.

cut quality is basically very close.

iluvbermuda
12-31-2003, 07:12 PM
Not to hurt any feeling here but, I posted a while back about my problems with Snapper. I have a 21" commercial Snapper model #ECLP21601RV and it is a piece of crap. Problem after problem. As far as the dealer--problem after problem. Service from them is pathetic. I bought it from Stovall of Chattanooga in Chattanooga Tennessee. I hope someone from Snapper reads this. Getting parts is a nightmare. I just got a belt today and it was 4 weeks in coming. Dealer says the problem is Snapper. Anyway as far as the Toro/Exmark---good mowers but I am looking very hard at the Honda. Mainly because it is a good machine and their service dept. looks top notch. I dont want to get burned again on poor service.

dishboy
12-31-2003, 07:15 PM
I don' t know what happened to the rest of my reply ..........
My experiance was that the Toro cut real nice but not for wet or tall grass. I also thought the handle bar was to short and was real hard on my back. I now use the Honda commercials. The hydraulic drive is excellent and reliability ditto. I have 10 years and seven years on them, only replacing cables and tires. Wet grass & tall grass performance with a blade modification is unmatched by anyhing I have been able to come up with. Email me and I'll share my secret.

John Gamba
01-01-2004, 06:26 AM
I want to thank all of you for your time and answers. Odinoo I hope 04 will be more kind to you, and Happy New Year!

It looks like it is a very good mower. I will be useing it on very small props that i do for no charge like for the elderly and disabled.

Again Happy New Year everybody!
John

John Gamba
01-01-2004, 06:32 AM
Originally posted by Quality Cuts PLS
John, Is that a die cast Exmark, or is it some fancy photo work.

Ouality! its nice to have you as a member. No on fancy photo:nono: Yes on die cast metal model. I got it Tuesday. Its VERY DETAILED

sbvfd592
01-01-2004, 08:32 AM
where can i find one?

jrc lawncare
01-01-2004, 09:03 AM
Ebay.....http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2369753777&category=50377

John Gamba
01-01-2004, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by sbvfd592
where can i find one?

I got my lazer from my dealer.
John

John Gamba
04-24-2007, 04:41 PM
i HAVE BOTH THE TORO proline and the metro 21....the only difference is the toro has recycler kickers for better mulching and different engine options ..if you bag the metro has a hair advantage if you mulch the toro has the advantage.

cut quality is basically very close.

I hear you dug yourself out:cool2: if anybody could it would be you:waving:

Let me know