PDA

View Full Version : English Beech trees

jimrguy
01-03-2004, 12:37 AM
well i live in southern maine. i Have a customer who has giant english beech trees. well seems like every spring we seed the area it comes in great, but by mid summer it gets very thin you can even see the top soil. drives me nuts. i have added top soil, tried airation, Lime, and fert. no change. also the rest of this yard stays great through out the summer. just inside the perimeter of the trees it seems ???????????????????????????????????????

olderthandirt
01-03-2004, 12:47 AM
lack of sunlite and/or lack of water Try a shade mix this spring it sounds like it does well until the leaves shade the area.

Mac

PLI1
01-03-2004, 10:29 AM
Do not fight this losing battle!! You are experiencing a shade problem as well as trees are competing for water and nutrients in these areas as well. As the trees get bigger, the problem will get worse. Also in my experence, Beech trees hate competing with turf. You may want to mulch these areas. This would greatly benefit the trees. You could also plant shade tolerant perennials, ground cover ect.. if the homeowner wants to see greenery besides mulch, but once again the less competition with the root systems of the trees the better.

Grassmechanic
01-03-2004, 01:51 PM
pachysandra will thrive in that environment.