PDA

View Full Version : How do they Cut?

GreenMachine102
01-03-2004, 11:21 AM
I want to buy an excellent cutting mower, but dont want to spend over 6500 dollars, the exmarks, I know have the best cut, but what about gravely, and others can I still get a good cut with them?

Richard Martin
01-03-2004, 11:49 AM
Whether or not the Exmarks have the best cut is opinion and as we all know opinions are like ***holes, everybody has one. I do own an Exmark and I like it very much. Except for a couple of small things like both spindles going bad, the OPC box going bad and having to replace the caster and front wheel bushings because Exmark won't use a bearing I haven't had any trouble.

Most of the big name mowers cut grass equally. They leave a nice cut and disperse the clippings fairly well. What you want to look for is the mower reliability, features and dealer support.

Some people here at Lawnsite will try to sway you towards the Exmarks because Exmark has a forum here at Lawnsite but that forum is useless when you're broke down in the field and your dealer won't work with you.

Try to find some dealers that will allow you to test drive their mowers. If you can't find any let me know. You're not that far from me and I can easily arrange a test drive of both Dixie Chopper and Exmark ZTRs. We can probably get a Gravely test drive with a day or two notice.

pcnservices
01-03-2004, 12:03 PM
I cannot agree more with Richard's reply. There are so many products out there today and all of them are developed to give you a quality cut and commercial endurance.

I usually shop value for money. Buy from a dealer that has a reputation of providing excellent after sales service. Those dealers usually have more than one brand of mower you can choose from and they are easier to negotiate with for a better discount.

And if you dont want to over spend on your budget ask for a demo model or a used one with low hours which they traded. These units are most of the times serviced and are up for re sale with a full factory warrenty.

Good Luck
PC

tx_angler
01-03-2004, 12:37 PM
When choosing a dealer, ask other LCOs what's their impression of the dealer. Approach buying a mower is just like buying an automobile or truck and you should have all the questions you need to ask.

Examples of questions I ask:

Do commercial customers have priority over residential customers when needing repairs?
Does the dealer have a good stock of spare parts? Especially, belts and blades
How long does it take to get parts that are not in stock?
Can I get a "loaner" if my machine is down for warranty work?
Will the dealer assist me if I have a warranty claim the factory denies?
Is the dealer "fair" when it comes time to trade-in?