PDA

View Full Version : No New Lawn Allowed!

precisioncut
01-03-2004, 02:24 PM
This is a bad thing for the Las Vegas LCO's. I was watching the Vegas news last night and they were doing a story on some new city ordinances. Apparently ALL new construction is NOT allowed to plant real grass, they have to use artificial turf. Becasue of severe drought conditions that have been around here for about 7 years now. Lake Mead is way down and all there water comes from Lake Mead that comes from the Rocky Mountains and the snow lately has been low. So I feel sorry for the LCO's that will suffer from this but I'm sure I will too. I live 1.5 hrs away in the Utah desert and I'm sure we will be in the same situation soon enough.

Just a little new for you all on the Nations drought conditions that see to be worsening.

lawnman_scott
01-03-2004, 02:39 PM
They passed a law here, that all new lawns have to be 50% turf, and 50% beds and landscaping to save water. Well they put sprinklers in the beds and it saves no water whatsoever. Just another way local polaticians are morons.

mtdman
01-03-2004, 02:56 PM
The water rates around here are going up every year. Many people don't want to water to keep their bills down. But as far as rain goes, we've had the wettest year in memory this past year.

the scaper
01-03-2004, 03:04 PM
this could add a new twist to the business, just keep a vacum cleaner on the trailer for the fake turf! :D

workaholic
01-03-2004, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by the scaper
this could add a new twist to the business, just keep a vacum cleaner on the trailer for the fake turf! :D need to keep a turf sweeper on your trailier

workaholic
01-03-2004, 04:35 PM
Total bummer wouldnt want to be in the mowing business there glad we have enough rain and snow to keep us mowing. this year was the wettest year i have seen since we started this business...

LB Landscaping
01-03-2004, 04:44 PM
You should look into insatlling artificial turf there are a few companies out there that offer quite a variety, the money is very good too.payup

the scaper
01-03-2004, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by LB Landscaping
You should look into insatlling artificial turf there are a few companies out there that offer quite a variety, the money is very good too.payup if i lived in vegas (slim chance of that) i think this is the route i would go. -install

precisioncut
01-03-2004, 09:16 PM
I will have to look into installs or something because this does have me worried (a bit). It still won't get rid of the folks that have a yard currently. I don't know, I just hope it doesn't come to that. The ban is only until Lake Mead reaches "normal" levels. That could be years and you never know-it could be never.

nelbuts
01-03-2004, 09:28 PM
At the same time they will pay someone to haul their used water out somewhere and dump it. When all they have to do is install the lines to be used for irrigation and toilet flushing. Saves a ton of potable water.

EvandSeby
01-03-2004, 09:51 PM
A lot of LCO's there advertise removing turf and replacing it with xeriscaping. If done properly it looks great, saves water, and is very profitable. Then in a few years when a wetter/snowier pattern hits the area they can all be putting turf back in. People move to the arid west from other parts and don't understand that there is no such thing as average percipitation, it is either very wet or very dry. We are now in the 5th dry year. Typically these patterns can last as long as 7 to 10 years.

musselman
01-03-2004, 10:55 PM
precisioncut....you must be in St. George...Hey do you by any chance contract with the LDS church? I use to work up in Logan and had about 35 LDS properties...then lost alot of them to lower bids...I now live in Blanding Utah...I still contract with the church for the few buildings they have here (Im part time I also teach school) I was just wondering if prices in that area for LDS properties has fallen also......and how do you deal with the heat lol I could never work there its to hot for me. BTW I went to Dixie and Im a SUU grad...It was in Cedar City I started cutting lawns
Shane

Tonyr
01-04-2004, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by nelbuts
At the same time they will pay someone to haul their used water out somewhere and dump it. When all they have to do is install the lines to be used for irrigation and toilet flushing. Saves a ton of potable water.

Mate, you are SO Right!
Why more people don't do this beats me!
Lawns don't mind "grey" water, trees and gardens do well from my experiences, recycling water for yards etc seems to be a no brainer!

All is needed is a sump to collect water, a submersable pump and out lines, all auto....people should be Made to use old water, better landscapes, more money for us to maintain! :)

Easy in rural areas ( ex farmer) still think a non smell way could be thought up, washing machines is one eg. they use heaps, showers, baths etc...

yardmonkey
01-04-2004, 12:38 PM
In central Oklahoma, 2003 was the driest year in 40 years. Something like 22 inches instead of normal 35 inches. I hope this is not a trend but I have a bad feeling about it.

Still the bermuda grows and there haven't been lots of restrictions on watering yet.

One good idea for xeriscaping of lawns - Buffalo grass. This is a native American prarie grass which will grow with very little water. Also needs little mowing. Expensive to start with seeds or plugs and will only grow in full sun.

One source for seeds and info:
http://www.stockseed.com