PDA

View Full Version : A Customer Conundrum

mtdman
01-03-2004, 03:21 PM
I had planned on weeding out a few customers this year, due to slow pays, lack of interest in extra services, and to get rid of my few remaining every other week-ers. In general, get rid of some of my lesser accounts and hangers on to be more profitable.

Well, one of these people I had in mind sent me a Christmas tip of $25. She's never done this before. She's a slow payer usually, and I don't like to mow her yard. It's not a real nice yard, grows slowly, and she's got a gate in her back yard I have to use a 21 incher to mow (not that big). In general, she's not real profitable and I wanted to weed her out. Now she's gone and sent me a tip, one of the few I get at Christmas, and I dunno what to do. I kinda feel bad for not bringing her back in the spring.

On the other hand, that $25 doesn't really make up for her lack of profitablility.

What to do, what to do?

mower_babe
01-03-2004, 03:23 PM
I would let her go. Tip or no tip. But I would type up a really nice letter thanking her for her patronage and give her a referral to another reputable lco.

KenH
01-03-2004, 03:29 PM
Try to find her a replacement before you let her go. Just tell her you are braanching out into other areas so you dont hurt her feelings.

walker-talker
01-03-2004, 03:48 PM
Business is business....let her go!!

bobbygedd
01-03-2004, 03:51 PM
just blow her off. dont send a letter or phonecall or anything. and dont return her calls. after like 2 weeks of no return calls, she should stop calling

Cutters Lawn Care
01-03-2004, 04:03 PM
Do what mower babe said. Not what bobbygedd said.

pjslawncare/landscap
01-03-2004, 04:22 PM
I agree with cutters and do what mower babe said. It looks bad on you to just blow her off. Damn bobby, your shure heartless.

Sauls1686
01-03-2004, 04:23 PM
I was planning on raising the rates on one customer. I go to Subway b4 Christmas and she hands me $25. Now I don't feel like raising the price.

Also had a neighbour give me a christmas card with $10 in it. I was amazed because this lady is not exactly generous. Shes the Ms. Nosy in the neighbourhood, always spying on and gossiping about everybody.

Just when I was thinking that she had reformed, had become a nice old grandma , I remember that she owed me for cleaning up her leaves ! would have been more than $10 too! my bad for not billing her i guess.

bobbygedd
01-03-2004, 04:55 PM
you mean, my idea is not good?

pjslawncare/landscap
01-03-2004, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by bobbygedd
you mean, my idea is not good?

You mean bobby, you mean

Turf Medic
01-03-2004, 05:08 PM
If I was intent on not keeping the customer, I would send the letter to her as stated above, but I would also include the $25 stating that I just didn't feel right keeping the gift under those circumstances.

Navig8r
01-03-2004, 05:12 PM
TurfMedic said what I was thinking when I read the post...... cancel her with a polite letter ..."It will no longer be possible for us to provide service, sorry for the inconvenience" and return the 25.00, with a "thank you, but it would not be right to accept" note.

Tommy D
01-03-2004, 05:13 PM
I agree with Mower babe too. Business is business, but being polite and keeping a good reputation is very important. Doing busines like Bobbygedd will never get you anywhere.

bobbygedd
01-03-2004, 05:14 PM
YOU WOULDN'T KEEP THE $25??? man, i would keep the $25, and if i even sent her a letter, i'd include a bill for 37 cents for the stamp, and....2 cents for the envelope! no fee for licking it closed, and bringin it to the mailbox....

mtdman
01-03-2004, 06:00 PM
I could always try to keep her and raise her rates to a high amount, spurring her to quit on her own. And if she doesn't quit, I'll be making more $$ off her anyway, and maybe increase her profitability.

:D

BravesFan
01-03-2004, 06:28 PM
YOU WOULDN'T KEEP THE $25??? man, i would keep the $25, and if i even sent her a letter, i'd include a bill for 37 cents for the stamp, and....2 cents for the envelope! no fee for licking it closed, and bringin it to the mailbox....

Anyone who frequently takes Bobby's advice...

Please contact me for a good price on 'Going Out Of Business' signs.

Bobby is always good for a laugh...but certainly not for a role model.

Dennis

bobbygedd
01-03-2004, 06:55 PM
anybody who takes braves advice, please wear a raincoat, people will pee on you . why shouldnt he keep the 25 bucks? that was a gift, it was for the good service he gave her in 2003. cus someone gives you a gift, it doesn't mean you should do something you don't want to do, it also doesn't mean you return the gift. and, if contacting her makes you uncomfortable, screw it, don't bother.

Cutters Lawn Care
01-03-2004, 07:00 PM
most people don't run their business on the " screw it don't bother" principle. Most people want to grow their business unlike you it sounds like.

bobbygedd
01-03-2004, 07:06 PM
"years in business=1. " cutter, talk to me in a few years, when u know what you're saying

Cutters Lawn Care
01-03-2004, 07:08 PM
How many customers do u have bobby?

BravesFan
01-03-2004, 07:12 PM
Bobby,

I've never taken a single post of yours as anything more than comedy. You're the LAST person in these forums who should be giving out advice. I've even taken up for you on a few different threads. It's unlikely that will ever happen again.

Most people just sit back and laugh at your posts...admittedly...I've even laughed out loud at a couple before. It's like I can picture Joey buttafuoco riding around on a Z with a cigarette in his mouth...coors light in his hand... flipping everyone the bird.

You always seem to think that everyone is out to screw you over. Have you ever stopped to think that there is a reason you think that way??? Or a reason why so many of your customers seem to be "problems"?

Dennis

bobbygedd
01-03-2004, 07:13 PM
how many teeth do you have? it's not how many customers, it's how much you make. and i would venture to say, that last year , being only part time, i probly made more than you. how many do u have?

TJLC
01-03-2004, 07:18 PM
I would also do what Mowerbabe said. I also think bobbygedd is only joking, right bobby?

Cutters Lawn Care
01-03-2004, 07:19 PM
Since you didn't answer the question I asked you I would venture to say that you are scared. I currently have 78 accounts. I had close to 200,000 in sales. And my equipment is new and paid for in the first year. So how many customers do u have and how long in business?????

bobbygedd
01-03-2004, 07:22 PM
please sir, don't take me for a fool. you have 200,000 in sales? what was your net? how much did YOU take home?

bobbygedd
01-03-2004, 07:26 PM
btw, braves, your profile says you are not even in business. are you in the lawn/landscape business?

Cutters Lawn Care
01-03-2004, 07:26 PM
I didn't take home much. I reinvested it in the business. Like I said I paid for all the equipment this year and just got a misubishi fuso 15' box truck that's paid for also. And it's none of your damn business how much I brought home. I focus on the top number.
SALES. And by the way you still haven't answered any of my questions part timer.

bobbygedd
01-03-2004, 07:40 PM
sonny, the BOTTOM LINE, is the top number. any jackazz can borrow a ton of money, buy fancy stuff, and gross a lot of money. makin it work is where the skill, craftsmanship, salesmanship , and entrepenureship comes in. let me put it this way, in augest, i told my boss to go pork himself, and WALKED OUT on a job where i was makin 75 grand a year plus bennies. and another question, if u didnt pull a profit, who paid your mortgage, your mommy? your wife? my mommy been dead 35 years, and my wife never worked a day in her life!

Cutters Lawn Care
01-03-2004, 07:50 PM
No dumba$$ I said I didn't make much. I didn't say I didn't make anything. I never mentioned anything about not making a profit. By the way how much "skill" does it take for you to tell your boss to go pork himself. And what kind of "salesmanship" is blowing off a customer. I paid my own mortgage. I'm not married and my mom is dead also. This is the correct spelling of August. Any other questions Joey Buttafuoco???

the scaper
01-03-2004, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by mtdmaster
I had planned on weeding out a few customers this year, due to slow pays, lack of interest in extra services, and to get rid of my few remaining every other week-ers. In general, get rid of some of my lesser accounts and hangers on to be more profitable.

Well, one of these people I had in mind sent me a Christmas tip for $25. She's never done this before. She's a slow payer usually, and I don't like to mow her yard. It's not a real nice yard, grows slowly, and she's got a gate in her back yard I have to use a 21 incher to mow. In general, she's not real profitable and I wanted to weed her out. On the other hand, that $25 doesn't really make up for her lack of profitablility.

umm.... what was the question?? LOL!

BravesFan
01-03-2004, 07:57 PM
btw, braves, your profile says you are not even in business. are you in the lawn/landscape business?

I fixed that for you bobby. I didn't enter anythnig when I joined LS. Looks like a default figure.

D

EagleLandscape
01-03-2004, 08:05 PM
I read somewhere else on this site saying to write a letter and say "(company name here) is moving in a different direction this summer".
SOunds polite, (dont be an ass), and gets you out of the situation you dont want to be in.

bobbygedd
01-03-2004, 08:10 PM
not married, no kids? well, then theres no competition . i had to do alot more than you to make it work. how much skill does it take to tell my boss to go pork himself? alot! when u have others to support, u think twice, three times, a hundred times about walking out on that "comfortable " position. so, year one, u grossed 200,000 paid off all your equipment, overhead etc, AND was able to write yourself enough of a paycheck to cover your living expenses. tell me, my savior, how did u do it?

nelbuts
01-03-2004, 08:11 PM
Why can't we all just get along? LMAO

There is some truth in all that has been said, even Bobby.

Honestly, you have time right now so go and talk to her. I have never just sent someone a note telling them I was finished. I either call or visit. I explain that I know that it is all they are able to pay but that a majority of my work is on the other side of the county (even if it isn't, it sounds good) then I tell them a couple of dirt bags to call. What happens is that they realize what a good thing they have and are willing to pay "your price" to get you back. Then you can set the rules and they have no problem with them. I have mixed feelings about the Christmas bonus. Here it is no problem cause I can cut them through the winter months and then drop them before every week cutting. So it softens the guilt trip on me.

But the main thing is do what you feel comfortable with. Oh and Bobby I enjoy your posts so don't stop. I realize that your flair for writing just adds a little spice to the stories that I am sure have elements of truth to each one.

For the other guy who looks at the gross. That is all well and good but you can't eat gross. I look at what I net after everything is paid. Do I have everything paid off? Nope. Would I like to have everything paid off? Not really. Not if it meand putting money in my pocket. I don't get into all the toys any more. I look at absolute needs only. What it takes to get the job done.

Just my humble opinion.

the scaper
01-03-2004, 08:47 PM
nelbuts, yer the man! mtdmaster- use this opportunity to raise the price and tell her she's gonna have to pay on time. you were gonna drop her anyway right? so whats to loose?

lawnman_scott
01-03-2004, 10:05 PM
To everyone bashing bobby. How would you like it if I were to give you a few referrals of customers that I dont have time for? Oh i forgot to mention, they dont pay on time and they arent profitable. I can evan send them a letter full of lies telling them how much i enjoyed working for them and not getting paid.
P.S. Nelbuts, thats not a Bucs helmet there, whats the problem??????????

BravesFan
01-03-2004, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by lawnman_scott
To everyone bashing bobby. How would you like it if I were to give you a few referrals of customers that I dont have time for? Oh i forgot to mention, they dont pay on time and they arent profitable. I can evan send them a letter full of lies telling them how much i enjoyed working for them and not getting paid.
P.S. Nelbuts, thats not a Bucs helmet there, whats the problem??????????

scott,

Since I don't bill at $20 an hour, I don't see myself taking any of your referrals.

Dennis

lawnman_scott
01-03-2004, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by BravesFan
scott,

Since I don't bill at $20 an hour, I don't see myself taking any of your referrals.

Dennis
Well i made $36.03 per man hour this year, dont know where you pulled $20 out of. But you obvously arent smart enough to evan respond to my post anyway with logic.

BravesFan
01-03-2004, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by lawnman_scott
Well i made $36.03 per man hour this year, dont know where you pulled $20 out of. But you obvously arent smart enough to evan respond to my post anyway with logic.

Sorry scott...

I must not have been paying attention to you. That happens when I come across a poster who I think is a know-it-all/smart-alic and otherwise not worth listening to.

Your posts are all the same. Never anything helpful...just one smart-alic comment after another. If anyone doesn't want to take my word for it, scroll through his posts.

Don't bother to respond. I won't see it.

Dennis

lawnman_scott
01-03-2004, 11:38 PM
boooooooooooooo hoooooooooooooo. Sorry i dont Lie about what i make to boost my self esteem, or send a letter to a no-pay customer telling them i know a friend that can do thier lawn. I post plenty that is helpful, and evan more that is logical (that means it makes sence).

mower_babe
01-03-2004, 11:44 PM
Braves and Bobby- I love you all, but grow the hell up, please.

Anyway, let me clarify. I never said that I wouldn't keep the tip. I probably would. I definitely wouldn't handle it the way bobby says. AND HE wouldnt handle it that way, either. If you haven't picked up on Bobby's sarcasm by now, his humor is lost on you. So, now does that make me an azz too? ;)

BravesFan
01-03-2004, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by mower_babe
Braves and Bobby- I love you all, but grow the hell up, please.

Anyway, let me clarify. I never said that I wouldn't keep the tip. I probably would. I definitely wouldn't handle it the way bobby says. AND HE wouldnt handle it that way, either. If you haven't picked up on Bobby's sarcasm by now, his humor is lost on you. So, now does that make me an azz too? ;)

yes mother:rolleyes:

olderthandirt
01-04-2004, 12:04 AM
Keep the money, burn the house down, round up the lawn and steal her cane
Then she would get the message! I sure aint wasting 37 cent for a stamp

Mac

BravesFan
01-04-2004, 12:12 AM
Harsh Mac,

Would you at least call her at work and let her know there was an emergency at home (whatever happened to that thread?)?

D:)

olderthandirt
01-04-2004, 12:31 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by BravesFan
[B]Harsh Mac,

Would you at least call her at work and let her know there was an emergency at home (whatever happened to that thread?)?

No I would'nt call her at work that reserved for paybacks:D I thought this was just about dumping some old lady and keeping a tip;)

Mac

Craig Turf Management
01-04-2004, 12:43 AM
MTDMASTER

Have you talked with your clients who pay you slowly? Do they know that when they are slow to pay that it puts a kink in your cash flow? If not I would explain my position to them. I would also let them know that my new policy for 2004 is to weed out folks that don't pay in a reasonable timeframe. If I were to let this particular client go, I would give back the tip. That's just my big heart I guess.
I wish you luck with this dilema. Take care, Bill Craig!

the scaper
01-04-2004, 12:59 AM
craig turf, you were going real good till you got to the part about giving back the money and the big heart. he he!

Envy Lawn Service
01-04-2004, 01:39 AM
....I don't believe Bobby is quite as crude as he sounds even though in reality he may not miss it by far. However, I think some of you might be enlightened if you spent some of your off-season traveling and experiencing some of the micro-cultures our country has to offer.

I was recruited to New Jersey to work. Somehow I have the destinate feeling that the 'breed' of people in that area are not too much different from the ones that Bobby has to deal with. (I trust you understand 'breed' is not a racial term)

What I mean is I could not exist as an LCO there due to the average type of person there. Truth is most could easily be viewed as "out to screw you" and most of us would get eaten alive there. Common politeness is like the smell of fear or blood. Nice people are viewed as SUCKERS or PUSHOVERS.

It's important to remember that we are not all viewing the same world nor are we viewing it through the same eyes.....

kris
01-04-2004, 01:57 AM
That's a good point Envy...don't know if it's true but good point.

Keep the tip, arrange for an increase with a pay schedule up front. We bill at the start of each month ..not the last.

mtdman
01-04-2004, 02:35 AM
Originally posted by Craig Turf Management
MTDMASTER

Have you talked with your clients who pay you slowly? Do they know that when they are slow to pay that it puts a kink in your cash flow? If not I would explain my position to them. I would also let them know that my new policy for 2004 is to weed out folks that don't pay in a reasonable timeframe. If I were to let this particular client go, I would give back the tip. That's just my big heart I guess.
I wish you luck with this dilema. Take care, Bill Craig!

Yeah, I've talked to her about it several times. I asked her to give me a deposit halfway through the season because of her problem. Gave me the deposit, continued to pay slowly. Usually she has her money in within 30 days, but she strayed past that a couple of times this year as well.

It's more than just her not paying on time, also, as I said in the original post. She is not a very profitable customer, and I'm looking to increase profitability, take on customers that are willing to get the extras like aeration, sidewalk edging, etc. She's got a tiny yard that takes me 15 minutes to mow, but even at that it's not very profitable.

And were I to drop her, I wouldn't just never call her or not return her calls. I have a letter that I send in the spring to customers I'm not bringing back that I send out when I send out my return letters.

At any rate, I'm keeping the tip. She sent it as a Christmas tip at the end of the year. Why shouldn't I? I just feel bad about having to move on after that. On the other hand, she's caused me enough extra work with the late payments that the tip doesn't really make up for it. And I'm always looking to improve my customer base.

Willis
01-04-2004, 04:31 AM
Raise her rates.

A1 Lawn@Landscapes
01-04-2004, 07:39 AM
Make the account profitable...........

1) Raise the price to your normal profitable level, then add some to account for the slow pay.

2) Set a policy where after 30 days, or whatever your terms are, late fees and interest occur. Find out what is legal in your area and go for it.

3) Make them pre pay or whatever you want. This is your business. You make and enforce your own policies.

It makes sense to me to try and keep the account and make it profitable under your terms. It costs x amount of $$$ to attract a customer. Since you have them now, it seems logical to me make a go at it. By all means if this does not work, cut them lose.

Mikes Lawn Landscape
01-04-2004, 08:12 AM
just blow her off. dont send a letter or phonecall or anything. and dont return her calls. after like 2 weeks of no return calls, she should stop calling

Hey Bobbie thats only half the answer wouldn't you want to collect a deposit first.

Keep up the great advise Bobbie I am learning more about this industry from your posts and the guys who agree with you than anyone else.

Please keep your words of wisdom flowing like the Coors Light

bobbygedd
01-04-2004, 08:57 AM
glad i could help mike. if there is anything else you need, please feel free to email me, so i can have the pleasure of telling you to kiss my buttocks!

bobbygedd
01-04-2004, 09:10 AM
thank you envy lawn service! that is the truth, most of these butt kissin, nicey nice, mommas boys would get eaten alive in my area. there are two kinds of people in new jersey. mean, and meaner. if you're only mean, u r finished! yea that's what i'm gonna do. work my hiney off for a customer, chase my money, make plans to dump her, then, because of a big $25 tip, get all emotional about what to do about about her. yea, u huh, then , knowing she's a no good customer, i'll just refer her to someone i know, yea that will work. next time i see the guy he may weed wack my eyebrows off. duh! what would i do? for real? just what i originally said i would do! or, i kinda like mac's idea

Turf Medic
01-04-2004, 09:14 AM
glad i could help mike. if there is anything else you need, please feel free to email me, so i can have the pleasure of telling you to kiss my buttocks!

At least bobby is democratic about it, He thinks everyone sucks:D

Keep the money, rape the dog, burn the house down, run over the children, and don't forget to let the air out of her tires.

Mikes Lawn Landscape
01-04-2004, 09:20 AM

Great, see I learned something from this post, even if someone agrees with you go ahead and tell them off.

Thanks Bobbie, you are an inspiration

bobbygedd
01-04-2004, 09:35 AM
you agreed with me? hmmm, i think we had a miscommunication. maybe i shouldn't be drinkin so early? ok, then i'm sor sor sssooorrr, what i'm tryin to say is i'm soorr, umm, i want to apollll, o forget it, i tried. it just wouldn't come out.

burnandreturn
01-04-2004, 11:54 AM
Bobbygedd, send me an address where I can send the check for the entertainment. Normally to be as entertained I would have to go to a high-end club, pay for dinner and drinks and then watch and listen to say Don Rickles or Rodney Dangerfield. If I take the wife, invite friends, at least $200.00. Just let me know where to send the check, or if it's better for you I can give you a card number!

burnandreturn
01-04-2004, 12:00 PM
In a former business I owned I found a very good way to get the slow payers to get up to speed as to being prompt payers.

There are laws as to what you can charge for late fee's and interest. I raised my rates to a very high rate and offered a rebate to those that paid by such and such a date. I only raised the rates on the slow pay. Always got a call and then I explained I had no problem using their money the way they used my money.
Para phrasing, but you get the message.

Willis
01-05-2004, 12:23 AM
bobbygedd, the new Lawngodfather, you the man.

Westbrooklawn
01-05-2004, 11:18 AM
I must admit.......I love to watch bobbygedd work the crowd!! If you read the threads bobby gets involved in, and can keep your emotions out of it, you will quickly see that bobbygedd is the ultimate "pot stirrer". I can just see him leaning back laughing his arse off at the way he gets folks stirred up!!!

He is obviously not stupid.....and I am sure he wouldn't do a number of the things he suggests. HE JUST LOVES TO STIR THE POT!!! Take his humor for what it is and laugh with him!!!

BravesFan
01-05-2004, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by Westbrooklawn
I must admit.......I love to watch bobbygedd work the crowd!! If you read the threads bobby gets involved in, and can keep your emotions out of it, you will quickly see that bobbygedd is the ultimate "pot stirrer". I can just see him leaning back laughing his arse off at the way he gets folks stirred up!!!

He is obviously not stupid.....and I am sure he wouldn't do a number of the things he suggests. HE JUST LOVES TO STIR THE POT!!! Take his humor for what it is and laugh with him!!!

Hey West,

I don't think bobby is stupid either..but I DO think he would do quite a few of the things he suggests! LMAO. And I don't think he is JUST trying to stir the pot...I think he gets just as wound up as some people he antagonizes.

I said a couple things on this thread that I probably should have kept to myself. Another poster made comment that Bobby is from a different area of the country(Jersey)...where you have to be(as Bobby pretty much summed up) mean or meaner to survive. I think there is some truth there.

I agree that you need to do what is necessary(legal) to get paid for work already done. I also feel that your customers are your bread and butter and should be treated with respect. At the same time...I know that there are some PITA customers and they need to be told like it is every once in a while. That should be the exception though...not the rule.

I don't have anything against Bobby. I do enjoy many of his posts. I apologize to Bobby for the Joey Buttafuoco comment and the part about having a cigarette in his mouth. I honestly don't know if bobby smokes or not. We all know there is a good possibility he'd have a Coors light in his hand though.

Dennis:)

BravesFan
01-05-2004, 11:56 AM
oops...must have double posted by accident.

LawnPerfect
01-05-2004, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by olderthandirt
Keep the money, burn the house down, round up the lawn and steal her cane
Then she would get the message! I sure aint wasting 37 cent for a stamp

Mac

this is the only way to do it IMHO

gramps
01-05-2004, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by Turf Medic
If I was intent on not keeping the customer, I would send the letter to her as stated above, but I would also include the $25 stating that I just didn't feel right keeping the gift under those circumstances.
Better still send it to me. I'll let her know you won't be back.:D

Turfdude
01-05-2004, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by burnandreturn
Bobbygedd, send me an address where I can send the check for the entertainment. Normally to be as entertained I would have to go to a high-end club, pay for dinner and drinks and then watch and listen to say Don Rickles or Rodney Dangerfield. If I take the wife, invite friends, at least $200.00. Just let me know where to send the check, or if it's better for you I can give you a card number!

That definately sounds like one idea - just decuct $.39 (37 for the stamp and .02 for the envelope):rolleyes:

Expert Lawns
01-05-2004, 02:35 PM
I feel dumber for having read this thread.

bobbygedd
01-05-2004, 04:26 PM
TURFGIRL!!!!! i havn't seen you in ages. how are you? did you miss me? how's everything? BRUCE, no, i don't smoke. i'd rather eat broken glass than smoke a cigarette. o, and to the guy who wants to send a check....we only accept cash. please send it to p.o. box 7482 east brunswick, n.j. 08816...........p.s., soups done..

KerryB
01-05-2004, 05:39 PM
Let me start by saying that its not Bobby's fault he acts that way. After all he is the product of his environment. I had the pleasure of spending a couple months in the "Garden State" lol some years back. The surroundings were only surpassed in their ugliness by the locals. lol
First I saw Newark. God sure did a good job on that place didnt he?
Then it was on to Ft. Dicks oops that was a freaudian slip. lol That is Ft. Dix. Man what a lovely place and the people. Wow.

I would keep the tip. You might insult her if you give it back. Then I would explain that your company is growing and your expenses are growing as well.
Her new rate for this year will be $$$ and will be paid a month in advance.
If she accepts all well that ends well. If not it was her decision to end your relationship not yours. So no hard feelings and no bad mouthing you. Best of all its a win win for you.

4-Leaf
01-06-2004, 07:46 AM
Originally posted by olderthandirt: Keep the money, burn the house down, round up the lawn and steal her cane. Then she would get the message! I sure aint wasting 37 cent for a stamp.

Before you do that, be sure to drill some holes in her teeth and blow some cold air through them.

GBCS
01-06-2004, 10:55 AM
mtdmaster,

I think the best business advice is to try and make her work more profitable if you want to keep her as a customer. If you can do that the next step is to fix the slow pay issues. You could require to have all slow pays to pay by credit card. Charge the cc monthly and just send her a paid invoice each month. You can also do this with checks if they do not have credit cards or if you don't accept cc's. As for the Christmas gift, I would keep it because it might be a slap in the face for you to return it.

mtdman
01-06-2004, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by GBCS
mtdmaster,

I think the best business advice is to try and make her work more profitable if you want to keep her as a customer. If you can do that the next step is to fix the slow pay issues. You could require to have all slow pays to pay by credit card. Charge the cc monthly and just send her a paid invoice each month. You can also do this with checks if they do not have credit cards or if you don't accept cc's. As for the Christmas gift, I would keep it because it might be a slap in the face for you to return it.

This is good advice. Problem is, some people are just cheap and don't want to be more profitable. She's been a customer for a while now, and she's never taken me up on any offers or suggestions I make about her yard. Believe me, I try to make things work before I just go axing people willy nilly. Sometimes you just gotta know when to fold 'em, as the saying goes.

Phishook
01-06-2004, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by Expert Lawns
I feel dumber for having read this thread.

now that you mention it, me too.

bobbygedd
01-06-2004, 02:37 PM
that's funny. you don't look any dumber. you look just as dumb as you did before

mtdman
01-06-2004, 03:05 PM
that's funny. you don't look any dumber. you look just as dumb as you did before

I shouldn't encourage you bobby, but that made me laugh.

Expert Lawns
01-06-2004, 04:21 PM

didnt' say anything about looking dumb. lets be sure we know what we're talking about before we go for the wisecrack

bobbygedd
01-06-2004, 04:27 PM
pay attention. you said you FEEL DUMBER. and i said, funny, you dont LOOK DUMBER, you look just as dumb as before. that's would be the same as someone saying, "i feel like i've gained weight.", then the other guy may say, "thats funny, you dont look like you've gained weight."

Expert Lawns
01-06-2004, 04:29 PM
sit down

bobbygedd
01-06-2004, 04:31 PM
sit down? how do you know i'm standing?

Expert Lawns
01-06-2004, 04:40 PM
as witty as you are, i figured you'd pick up on it. its ok, you were funny for awhile

bobbygedd
01-06-2004, 04:45 PM
i'm confused. ok, you said "sit down". i don't get it. please explain, you see, i have obsesive compulsive disorder, if u don't tell me, it will consume my mind to no end, i won't be able to think of anything else.

rodfather
01-06-2004, 04:48 PM
bobby, go and grab a Coors Light...that should ease your mind.:drinkup:

65hoss
01-06-2004, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by rodfather
bobby, go and grab a Coors Light...that should ease your mind.:drinkup:

Coors is to "light", he needs the heavy stuff.:cool2:

Expert Lawns
01-06-2004, 06:27 PM
or some darvaset

nelbuts
01-06-2004, 06:50 PM
Hey Scott,

That thar is where I gots my edumacation! Since thay get thar dad blame butts kicked by those sissies from Maryland I thoughts it wood be a good thang to give them some love fer awhile. Sorry I did not answer you sooner but I was trying them new thangs they call shoes.

nelbuts
01-06-2004, 06:56 PM
Hey Bobby,

I did not say I would refer her to a friend I said "dirt bag". Now to me that is someone I do not like or someone who does bad work. There are several here.

nelbuts
01-06-2004, 07:11 PM
Sorry to post three times in a row (no I'm not).

But I just love this stuff. Bobby keep up the good work. Oh and I am waiting for that check LOL:waving:

bobbygedd
01-06-2004, 07:24 PM
darvaset? what the hell is darvaset? expert lawns, i think the problem here, is communication, maybe u just don't have a very good understanding of the english language, which is fine, hey, if english isn't your best subject, no big deal. i'm sure you were good at other subjects in school. perhaps math, simple mathematics, ok, let's try some. say if u had a 10 inch pickle, and you put 6 inches of it in your mouth, how many inches would be showing?

LawnPerfect
01-06-2004, 07:36 PM
LOL !!!

Bobby when I see you post I always get the mental image of Andrew Dice Clay riding a mower.

jay warner
01-06-2004, 07:56 PM
The God Father would rattle your cage, but he never went down as low as the pickle. Ol' Bobby might be joining LGF if he ain't careful. I do enjoy the rhetoric, but put down the bottle and step away from the keyboard.

bobbygedd
01-06-2004, 08:00 PM
what are you talking about? it's a simple, honorable, no foul intentions question. 10 minus 6=? cmon man, what's the matter with you people?

nelbuts
01-06-2004, 08:01 PM
PICKLE!!!!!!! LMFAO

rodfather
01-06-2004, 08:03 PM
robert, you are pushing the envelope...your friend

rodfather
01-06-2004, 08:20 PM
sorry guys...I don't want to see my friend bg banned. And I think we all know he was on his way with that pickle comment IMO.

TotalCareSolutions
01-06-2004, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by Turf Medic
, rape the dog,

wtf?

bobbygedd
01-06-2004, 08:53 PM
yea, that's right. no body said anything when that guy said, "rape the dog":eek: and "run over the children":eek: :( but i mention a pickle, a freaken pickle, that anyone of us can buy at any deli in the usa, and you folks get bent about it? man o man, just where is your mind at? and please stop harrassing me, or i'm rattin you out

thill
01-06-2004, 09:46 PM
mtd,
You got some good advice and you started a thread that entertained a lot of us...... Thanks

I hope you are able to keep the poor old gal on your terms so you can start another thread like this one next Jan....when things out there are a bit slow.

mtdman
01-06-2004, 10:06 PM
Maybe if I print this out and show her the problem will take care of itself??

:D :D :D

GBCS
01-06-2004, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by mtdmaster
Maybe if I print this out and show her the problem will take care of itself??

:D :D :D

LOL..That just might work. Where is the delete button on this thread? ;)

griffin16
01-07-2004, 10:34 AM
CLASSIC

One of the only reasons that I come to this web site is to read Bobbygedd posts.
Keep up the good work Bobby.