PDA

View Full Version : Man hours

GrassRoots Grounds
01-03-2004, 04:46 PM
what kind of average man hour is everybody getting. Do you change your man hour cost for different things like mowing, mulching, leaves, etc..... Just trying to some big bids and need to know the average cost per man, used to doing residental where it was easier to bid!!!!

Thanks

Cutters Lawn Care
01-03-2004, 05:01 PM
In these neck of the wood it's around$9-$12 per hour.

workaholic
01-03-2004, 05:27 PM
10.00 hr. per man for every type of job we do

pjslawncare/landscap
01-03-2004, 05:33 PM
Dang cutters, if your only getting $9 to $12 an hour where your at, Id be moving. Charge by job when mowing and clean-up work and try averaging at least $60 hr with good equipment. Mulching and planting usually $40 hr and mark up costs for supplies. Of coarse prices vary from local to local, but I have no trouble at all getting those prices here. Like I said you must have productive methods and good reputation to demand good prices.

GrassRoots Grounds
01-03-2004, 05:37 PM
What I would like to know is what the average cost per hour on mowing is that is including payroll, expenses, and to make a profit. If the employee is making $10.00 per hour our you charging around $15.00 or $20.00 to cover all expenses????

Thanks

glenjr10
01-03-2004, 05:47 PM
I personally try to estimate my mowing service with the price of $50-60 per man hour. Once you get good and are able to know what your equipment is able to do, then etimating will become a lot easier. I am now pretty good at estimating small-midsized jobs.

My view on hourly rate is if it is a one-time deal, then it is by the hour, but if it is regularly a fixed price is the way to go. I will always take more time on my first cut and I am able to trim off about 15-20% of the initial cutting time, due to familarties of the property, and not having to back-track.

pjslawncare/landscap
01-03-2004, 05:54 PM
No real easy answer, but many variables involved. You must consider every expence in doing your business. A few = depreciation, wear & tear (employees are harder on your stuff), taxes, estemated repaires (hard one), payroll, insurance, list goes on to your specific situation. Plus employees wont get as much as you done. But once you guestimate all expences and figure what it costs to run you business add your desired profit margin in to it. IMO your employees should be earning you profits over all expences. You dont want to break even with them or you would certainly be better off not having employees.
Hope this helps

GrassRoots Grounds
01-03-2004, 07:30 PM
What percentage does everyone try to get off of the jobs??

EastProLawn
01-03-2004, 07:50 PM
I charge the same hourly rate for all jobs excluding a basic cut & trim. That is figured by size of yard and time to cut & trim.

bastalker
01-03-2004, 07:54 PM
I figure it pretty much like this...25% for the help...Which i make money from...25% for me...20% for the equipment. which I usually make money from, and 30% for uncle sam.

Or $50 per hour for myself. $25 per hour for each additional person. Sometimes $20, depending on the situation. It works out the same.

lawnman_scott
01-03-2004, 10:07 PM
I charge $36.03 per man hour, but it may change in 04.