PDA

View Full Version : When to move from a 21" to a larger mower

joed
01-03-2004, 05:57 PM
At what point would it be feasible to move from a 21" mower to a 32" or larger? Would the decision be based strictly on the average size of your customer's lots (my clients have an average square footage of 3 000 sq. feet) or the amount of customers you have (I have 10 as I only work part time). Thanks for the input.

locutus
01-03-2004, 06:45 PM
You should have made this move yesterday.payup

TRex
01-03-2004, 06:48 PM
I got my Exmark metro hp 36" after getting my fifth lawn of the same size you have or maybe a little larger, since out of the five three were corner lots.

WeatherMan
01-03-2004, 06:56 PM
The first day I started in Buss. I had a commercial mowers. I just could not see my self pushing a 21" er all day. Life is worth more then that

gogetter
01-03-2004, 06:59 PM
Yep, as soon as you can afford it.
With the time you will save, you will be able to do more lawns in the same amount of time.
I would venture to say as many as 15 lawns in the same time it took you to do 10 with your 21" mower (that's a guess, but I'm sure it's very close).

Oh, and if you can afford it, go with a hydro. You will be even more efficient, and even less fatigued at the end of the day. With the money you make taking on the extra lawns, you will pay for it in no time.

Lets's just say you're getting $30 for an average lawn, and average 26 cuts per season (these are just example numbers):

10 x $30 = $300 x 26 cuts = $7800
15 x $30 = $450 x 26 cuts = $11,700

$3,900 more per season working about the same # of hours. You can buy a nice small hydro walk behind for that. (side note, just saw a brand new Great Dane Scamper 36" hydro sell for $2500 on eBay!!).

Good luck.

the scaper
01-03-2004, 08:10 PM
when you get tired of walking buy something you can ride. you can sit on your duff and make money at the same time:D

precisioncut
01-03-2004, 09:08 PM
Many of LCO's around these parts use 21" push to mow(yard small). I do as well-for now. I'm getting ready to purchase a 36" walk-behind to increase productivity and just get a better cut. But just because someone uses a 21" doesn't mean they are a scrub (which I know some of you are thinking).

iluvbermuda
01-03-2004, 09:30 PM
Well said Precisioncut. Many yards just are not practical for anything but a 21". And there are many folks who refuse to do the 21" yards. Thats where I come in.

hole in one lco
01-03-2004, 10:16 PM
as soon as you can afford it

gogetter
01-03-2004, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by precisioncut
But just because someone uses a 21" doesn't mean they are a scrub (which I know some of you are thinking).

Whoa! Easy there. Nobody here said anything about that. Don't read too much into a post.
Everyones simply giving him some advice.
If 21"s work for you, go for it!! Certainly much less investment needed, that's for sure.

the scaper
01-03-2004, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by gogetter
Whoa! Easy there. Nobody here said anything about that. Don't read too much into a post.
Everyones simply giving him some advice.
If 21"s work for you, go for it!! Certainly much less investment needed, that's for sure. yea really, i often wonder how such a word got connected to a lowly hard working man trying to do something for himself. cant blame precisioncuts though cause that probably is what q

the scaper
01-03-2004, 11:13 PM
quite a few were thinking, i always thought this word should be reserved for tight wad homeowners with shamefully dispicable yards! :) sorry bout the double post , i punched the wrong button

MTR
01-04-2004, 02:18 AM
Originally posted by joed
At what point would it be feasible to move from a 21" mower to a 32" or larger? Would the decision be based strictly on the average size of your customer's lots (my clients have an average square footage of 3 000 sq. feet) or the amount of customers you have (I have 10 as I only work part time). Thanks for the input.

So long 21er, as someone said, life is worth more than that.
get a 36" commercial ASAP, if your money allowed. I sold all my 21er day after I got my 36" and never miss 21er a hair.

PS: Try 2 corner lots with your 21er and see whether you still do the "same quality" as afternoon yards come in couple hours later!
sweat your pants off, I bet. And if you are solo with 21er like everyoneelse then it is even sweatier...:-)

Richard Martin
01-04-2004, 03:38 AM
The second time you had to lift that 21"er up! Really!

Tonyr
01-04-2004, 07:46 AM
I'd be looking at a Walker bagger or a Toro Z355 bagger/mulcher with 48'' decks.

You can get Walkers with smaller decks, and these are great on small properties. Then your 21''er is just for those occasional very narrow areas, a good front deck ZTR like above will do most with just the aid of a trimmer, a great fast finish, no sweat!

I don't even have a push mower for the biz, the ZTR and trimmer and edger is all I need for most properties, those that need a push mower can be done by the part timer etc, they take too long anyway, these Z'ds will surprise you, and 3000sft is the average town property for me too, commercial mowing doesn't require a 21''er when you have the right gear on most props.

I will add though that I'm in another country, maybe our building to lawn ratios are different, we have ample size yards mostly that accomodate a Z well.

Fareway Lawncare
01-04-2004, 11:32 AM
On the small (4k & under sq. ft) lawns a 21" is generally faster & less fatiguing than a belt 32" or 36".

gogetter
01-04-2004, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by Fareway Lawncare
On the small (4k & under sq. ft) lawns a 21" is generally faster & less fatiguing than a belt 32" or 36".

Whaaaaa? I couldn't disagree more. I'll tell ya what. I have 4 trailer park lawns right next to each other. They're around 3K sq.ft. or so. You bring your 21" and I'll use my 36" belt drive, and we'll start at the two end properties and see if we meet in the middle, no chance.. There's no way the 21" is faster.

Besides the fact that the 36" has 15" more deck, the 36" belt drive will PULL me faster then I normally PUSH a 21" push mower.

So, not only am I cutting a much wider swath, I'm doing it at a faster pace, PLUS I'm practically being pulled rather then exerting energy pushing a mower.

There's no comparison.

Fareway Lawncare
01-04-2004, 06:36 PM
I assume your "trailer park" properties are fairly wide open.

Typically smaller residentials in the type of area Joed describes are heavily landscaped & contain ditches, narrow gates, islands, unneven terrain etc..

We do most of our small res. w/ 21" Proline's & Lawnboys.

gogetter
01-04-2004, 06:45 PM
I assume your "trailer park" properties are fairly wide open.

Not sure why you'd assume that, but no, they aren't "wide" open. On the contrary, a lot of trailer park people like to dot thier lawns with little decorations, plants & shrubs planted in the middle of no where, etc. (never understood why).

But hey, if a 21" is your thing, knock yourself out. I use mine as little as possible.
Later.

work_it
01-04-2004, 08:23 PM
Sorry Fareway Lawncare, I'm with Jon on this matter. I would really have a hard time finding a property that a 21" push mower would outperform a 36" w/b. Even with the smallest of yards a 36" w/b can usually get in, around obsticles, and back out without a hitch. Not only that, but it's just a much more versitile machine than the 21". My suggestion is go where the money is and make the leap of faith. You'll never be sorry that you did. Then as soon as you buy the 36" w/b start saving your money to buy a velke or some other standing platform. You'll be amazed at the increase in productivity and won't be nearly as fatigued at the end of the day.

TRex
01-04-2004, 09:35 PM
Fareway Lawncare,

Could you please find somewere else to waist peoples time. From the pics you have posted in your various names, UL I have never seen a 21" mower. And you seem to have a lot of larger w/b.

Fareway Lawncare
01-04-2004, 11:52 PM
Hey T-Rex, here's a few of my 21"s.

I've got a wack of Toro 21"'s & a couple Honda's if you really want to see them.

Fareway Lawncare
01-04-2004, 11:57 PM
Here's one of the newer Toro's. Ain't she sweet.

The 5.5hp Suzuki's are going out of production next year but I've got 3 reserved for spring.

Fareway Lawncare
01-05-2004, 12:00 AM
Here's an older Toro 6.5hp Briggs.

MTR
01-05-2004, 12:52 AM

Fareway Lawncare, I am pretty sure you don't know what is "sulky" or "velke" or Jungle Wheels or Bull Rider.... and you probably have never ridden one of these, that why you said so that 21er can be less fatiguing than a 36" WB...

When we said 36" WB, you must think of a 36" WITH SULKY on it.
Once that platform is on, you are on fire! We don't walk....
Should I say more? So next thing is "learn" how to ride that platform with dexterity in order to increase productivity.
I would rather definitely spending $1000 on a used 36" anyday than on a fancy 21er Toro or Honda...blah...blah...blah.
Use 36" everywhere that 21er can go here in USA, if not, a stihl trimmer do those.

best regards,

Fareway Lawncare
01-05-2004, 05:03 PM
Walk w/Sulky is Much Too Long to be productive on the type of props we service w/21"s. You need to be able to turn around in tight quarters, cut islands & ditches etc..

21"s rule the day on certain types of residentials.

gogetter
01-05-2004, 08:20 PM
21"s rule the day on certain types of residentials.

Yeah, plus they're easier to get up and down steps, and that right "Fareway"??? LOL!

proenterprises
01-05-2004, 08:25 PM
hey Fareway Lawncare-you have the same mowers that ultimate lawns had:dizzy:

proenterprises
01-05-2004, 08:28 PM
OH BY GOLLY IT IS THAT CLOWN-ULTIMATE BULL SHYT IS BACK!

please, you wasted our time once, do you really need to do it again?:rolleyes:

Fareway Lawncare
01-05-2004, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by MTR

I would rather definitely spending $1000 on a used 36" anyday than on a fancy 21er Toro or Honda...blah...blah...blah.
Use 36" everywhere that 21er can go here in USA, if not, a stihl trimmer do those.

Seems the largest residential mowing contractor in Texas disagrees w/ you.

http://www.e-mowing.com/Mow%20Details.htm

proenterprises
01-05-2004, 08:59 PM
yeah...uh ultimate lawns, i think you were banned the first time so you might wanna just leave. :rolleyes:

Fareway Lawncare
01-05-2004, 09:44 PM
proenterprises, w/ the equipment you list, I'm guessing you're a part-timer.

Good luck w/ your jump to full-time lawncare.