PDA

View Full Version : Do you really wanna litigate for $150?

bastalker
01-03-2004, 07:07 PM
I have in the past, had a few instances where a customer has racked up a few cuts, and after sending bills numerous times, feel they need the money more than I do.

I have done this 3 times now. One customer owes me $150 for a overseed job I did for them. She is in Cal. now, and the speculations for them selling the house in Ct. was that it get seeded before closing. It has been a couple a months now. I say oh well.

I am owed $80 an $120 from a couple of customers that I will also never see.

Guess I'm to easy, but I just write it off as a loss an never talk to em again...

LB Landscaping
01-03-2004, 08:08 PM
I've been pretty fortunate, only 2 losers haven't paid me in the past 3 years that I have been in business. One is an older couple who got sick, wrote that one off. The second is an a-hole who had me do a clean-up and spread some mulch. He owes me $300, paid for the clean-up but nit a dime for the mulch (money out of my pocket). I sent him one last invoice today if I see no money I will be taking him to court just for the principle of it.

olderthandirt
01-03-2004, 08:19 PM
I need my yard overseeded since your working for free. lol
he!! yes i'll turn you over to credit agency I'll bad mouth you to your own mother i'll take you to small claims. The way I look at it is I got out of school long time ago and I don't need to chalk it up as a lesson learned. You owe me $$ for a service I performed and if you refuse to pay for that service then I have the right to make your life miserable.

bobbygedd
01-03-2004, 08:29 PM
thank you mac! these guys say it's "bad for business" to aggresively seek your money. i say it's twice as bad to let it slide. i'd rather be thought of as a bully and roughneck, than a pushover

Gr grass n Hi tides
01-03-2004, 08:52 PM
If you have a change of heart, you could always just go down & file a lien against their house & let it sit there until they get ready to sell or refinance. Then they've to got to pay you. Cheap way to go about it.

precisioncut
01-03-2004, 09:04 PM
How do you go about reporting it so it hits there credit report or putting a lien on thier house.

bastalker
01-03-2004, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by olderthandirt
I need my yard overseeded since your working for free. lol

Tell ya what dirt if ya give me $150 for stickin 50 lbs a seed in a broadcast spreader an spendin 20 mins pushin it around about a 1/4 of an a acre, I'll be right there..... I didn't get into the details cause I didn't think it was important. But since ya brought it up.......;)

olderthandirt
01-03-2004, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by bastalker
Tell ya what dirt if ya give me $150 for stickin 50 lbs a seed in a broadcast spreader an spendin 20 mins pushin it around about a 1/4 of an a acre, I'll be right there..... I didn't get into the details cause I didn't think it was important. But since ya brought it up.......;)

What $150 I thought they did'nt pay? payup so I can match that amount.

Mac:D

bob
01-03-2004, 10:02 PM
I've never had a customer not pay me! Oh sure, I had to take them to court. But its the principal. I did the work, now I deserve the money. Thats what winter time is for. Collecting on dead-beat accounts!

bastalker
01-03-2004, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by olderthandirt
What $150 I thought they did'nt pay? payup so I can match that amount.

Mac:D

k, ya got me........:drinkup:

alpine692003
01-03-2004, 10:06 PM
Seems like customers don't want to pay at all!

If the job is going to be more then $200, I would ask for 50% up front, 25% mid way, then 25% upon completion!

olderthandirt
01-03-2004, 10:50 PM
bastalker
I'm not trying to bust your ba!!s on this one but its YOUR $$$$ I'm sure your kids or wife would enjoy a nite out and those other people are using your money for whatever they want. Yes its a lot easier to blow it off and it might even be cheaper, but theres principle involved. Those people wont do that to the elec. co. or the phone or bank that holds there car loan because they know what would happen and it should be know dif. for you. You did the work you have the right to get paid. Its not that hard, usually a cert. letter for demand of payment will get you 90% of the dead beats to pay up and the other 10% if I have to report them to credit agency or go to court or what Gr grass n Hi tides
said about a mechanic lien on there house thats part of doing business and I've done them all. You were not the first they pulled this crap on but you could be the last. I always thought of it as helping the next guy out LOL

Mac

Barkleymut
01-03-2004, 11:00 PM
Show up on their front doorstep on Christmas, easter, etc. during the family dinner. Say you wish you could afford a turkey but since they haven't paid, your kids are eating canned tuna. Start aggressively complaining about the lack of payment. Tack on some bogus $50 fee and walk away with all of the money.

tx_angler
01-03-2004, 11:16 PM
Hers's a website that may offer some insight on how to collect past due accounts. Or better yet they have some suggestions on how to prevent that activity.

http://www.collectthemoney.com/