PDA

View Full Version : How much should you pay for a 36" mower

The Happy Gardner
01-03-2004, 10:02 PM
Here's my problem.
we only have 2 dealers in my area( with in 30 miles )
First - Toro and Hustler
Second - JD

Both sell comparable machines. Both push Hydro with floating decks. Both around $5,000. They offer fixed deck, belt drives at around $4,000. Until I started visiting this sight thats all I knew and was ready to buy. Now I am questioning.
This will be my first large mower and though I would like a larger mower I need to get through 36" gates.:mad:

J.Gordon
01-03-2004, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by The Happy Gardner
Here's my problem.
we only have 2 dealers in my area( with in 30 miles )
First - Toro and Hustler
Second - JD

Both sell comparable machines. Both push Hydro with floating decks. Both around $5,000. They offer fixed deck, belt drives at around $4,000. Until I started visiting this sight thats all I knew and was ready to buy. Now I am questioning.
This will be my first large mower and though I would like a larger mower I need to get through 36" gates.:mad:

I don’t think Hustler even makes a 36’’ there website advertises 37, 48 or 54" Side Discharge Decks. The price seems a little on the high side to me for a 36’’ but then again I have not priced them in a while. I do know I could have bought a last year’s model Scag 36’’ belt for $1500.00 I might have missed a good deal. :eek: :eek:
Good luck

Jeff

Rick Jones
01-03-2004, 11:13 PM
I paid $4,000 for a Toro Hydro 36" floater w/ the T-bar. Same thing with a fixed deck/belt would have run about $2800.

The Happy Gardner
01-04-2004, 03:09 PM
Anyone tryed the Better Outdoor Product's 36" hydro????

I here their around $2,000 !!!!!

Rick Jones
01-04-2004, 04:54 PM
You get what you pay for...

work_it
01-04-2004, 05:44 PM
Now is the time to start searching ebay and the classifieds. Start out with what you can afford, but if you tie all your funds up in a brand new mower you better brace yourself. Even new mowers occasionally have flaws, and if you run into a problem where you loose the use of that machine for 2 or 3 weeks what are you going to do? I started my business back up last year with a great used Bunton 48" belt drive, and it still runs perfect. Best part is that I found it on ebay and only paid $1200 for it. Next piece of acvice is to stick with a mower that you can easily get parts for and serviced. You said you have a Toro dealer and a Hustler dealer in your area, then stick with one of those 2 brands. Also check to see where your closest Lesco dealer is. They have a nice little 36" that is very reliable. You'll probably end up paying about $2400 for theirs. If you do enough footwork you'll know when you run across a good deal.

65hoss
01-04-2004, 06:56 PM
Time to find other dealers. Those belt drive prices are WAY to high.

PaulJ
01-05-2004, 02:04 AM
Drive the Hustler. That should make your decision. The hustler walkbeihnd controls are the easiest to learn and opperate.

Kelly's Landscaping
01-05-2004, 12:34 PM
I have a question having cut lawns for 15 years IV used 48-inch belts and 52-inch hydros and as of the last 4 years I personally use my 60-inch lazer now the lazer has a floating deck and I completely agree with that. But why the hell would you need a floating deck on a 36-inch machine? I'm being serious I live in New England we have some of the worst terrain for cutting you’ve ever seen there’s a reason you don’t see big farms here for us 75 acres is a big farm the land is rocky and the land is hilly and having spent all the years cutting that I have, I still have no clue what you would need a floating deck on a micro mower for. I mean were talking a 3 foot deck here that’s nothing hell my boots are 12 inches each I think your going after features that really aren’t needed on such a small machine I personally wouldn’t even go floating deck on a 48.

The Happy Gardner
01-05-2004, 12:43 PM
I've never used E-bay before, what do you look under????
Dosen't shipping kill you??????

chefdrp
01-05-2004, 12:44 PM
Like they said, Check with a lesco dealer if you have one. I am looking at a 48 inch. gear for 2400.

Rick Jones
01-05-2004, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by Kelly's Landscaping
I have a question having cut lawns for 15 years IV used 48-inch belts and 52-inch hydros and as of the last 4 years I personally use my 60-inch lazer now the lazer has a floating deck and I completely agree with that. But why the hell would you need a floating deck on a 36-inch machine? ....

Changing the height of cut is much easier on a floating deck than a fixed.

The Happy Gardner
01-05-2004, 12:57 PM
Did a number of searchs for Lesco. Haven't found anything yet.

Kelly's Landscaping
01-05-2004, 01:14 PM
Changing the height of cut is much easier on a floating deck than a fixed.

That is true I wouldn’t offer to change the heights on lawns if I was using a walk in the past iv seen guys pull the pins out of the front casters and move the washers. This wont raise the height as it tips the blades but it will lower the height and can get the customer off your back. As for the floating deck walk behind design it is easier to change the height but it isn’t that easy 4 pins are required its nothing like a ZTR, which can be changed in less than 30 seconds. Also he may already own a small 21 inch push he stated it was going to be his first big mower if he had a 21 that would solve the height raising he could just use the small mower if that came up and save him self 1-3 k on the price.

tawilson1152
01-05-2004, 06:10 PM
"Time to find other dealers. Those belt drive prices are WAY to high."
That is correct. I was a the JD dealer today pricing one and the gear driven list was $2500 and the hydro was $4900. JD does put the list price of equipment up on their website.

Potomac Lawns Inc.
01-05-2004, 06:13 PM
We have one of the JD 36" gear drives and it works great all except for reverse which is not that good.

tawilson1152
01-06-2004, 06:49 AM
Potomac Lawns Inc.,
I'm thinking about one of those. I see you can shift on the go. Does that work ok? I'm sure it's not as smooth as a hydro, but $2400 difference! I can't quite figure why it costs so much more to get the hydro.

The Happy Gardner
01-06-2004, 11:15 AM
Is gear drive different than belt drive????? We have a lot of rain here in the NW and the diss on the belt drives is slippage when it gets wet.

Potomac Lawns Inc.
01-06-2004, 05:09 PM
the shift on the go does not work to bad as long as you do not knock it in too fast of a gear but for the most part works great

googles
01-12-2004, 03:30 AM
I have to disagree with kellys commit on changing the 4 pins on a floating deck. I have a toro 36" floating deck and it takes me 30 seconds to change the hight with the 4 pins. It's so easy and very fast.

Metro Lawn
01-12-2004, 04:26 AM
There are serveral good deals on 36" mowers in the Lawn Site Classifieds...

Sam-Ohio
01-13-2004, 02:22 AM
Those prices for mowers are so high, there must be some mistake. You aren't in Canada, and those prices are in Canadien dollars by chance ?

If you need to get through many 36 inch gates - a 36 inch mower isn't going to get through them !

The 36 inch measurement is for the width of the actual cut. The outside of the mowers deck will probably measure 37" or 38" wide.

You really need a 32 inch or 34 inch mower to get through a 36 inch gate.

Go to the top of this page and click on Gravely - one of our sponsors ! Look at a zero turn rider they call the "34Z"

Its price is $3995. Which is the same price as their 36" Hydro pro walk mower. They narrowed the deck 2 inches just to make it fit through 36 inch gates, and they re- engineered it into a zero turn rider. They did that to make it shorter than a man behind a walker type unit is. This makes it manuever easier in real tight quarters.

The nationally advertised price of the Gravely Z RIDER is a $1000 less than the prices you have gotten on walk mowers from your dealers.

Why don't you use Gravely's dealer locator on their web site and see who would be your 2 or 3 closest dealers. It can't hurt and just maybe you'll be surprised to find a close by Gravely dealer.

The Happy Gardner
01-14-2004, 10:59 AM
Good call I'll look into it.

thanks

greenback
01-14-2004, 01:32 PM
36" metro, ecs or pistol, fixed deck, catcher,kawi motor(12.5) for 2399. pretty good deal i think.