PDA

View Full Version : What to do? Local or Not.

sildoc
01-03-2004, 11:43 PM
Ok As you all know (if you have been reading anyways) I have been looking for a 36" hydro walk behind. This is my dilema. For you Exmark fans is exmark worth driving 180 miles for waranty work or should I go with the local deal on a husqvarna hydro?
I have a deal on an exmark tthp 36 for 4100 180 miles away but no dealer support.
I have a deal on a Husqvarna whf4215ets for 4000 and can probably get for 3800.
I am ready to buy before february so I am asking is the exmark worth the 180 miles to get the waranty work done?
THank you for all of your responses.
P.S. I do have a toro dealer but they do not cater to the small guy only the large companies so it means I am on the back burner when the large guy breaks down.

WeatherMan
01-03-2004, 11:48 PM
I would never buy a mower if I had to drive overa half hour to have it serviced. Exmark is not that great of a mower to drive that far. Is there any John Deere Dealers in your area. I use All John Deere and in 4 years never had any proplems with the dealers

sildoc
01-03-2004, 11:55 PM
WeatherMan, For the price JD is out of the question. I can get way more out of husqvarna than the JD and dealer support is excelent. Thank you though.

LLandscaping
01-03-2004, 11:56 PM
I would buy the Husqvarna, if there were no other dealers close by. The dealer is just as important, if not more important than the brand of mower you choose. Every time you need a part or work done you would have to travel 180 miles.

Adam,
Lovell's Lawn Care

ElephantNest
01-03-2004, 11:57 PM
Not that great of a mower?? lol

My buddie's 36" exmark, similar to mine but older, is going on it's 4th season and he hasn't had it on the shop once. Dealer support? What's that. Sure stuff happens, but when you buy quality, at least in my opinion, is not as big of a factor. Like my shindiawas, 8 of them, and they've never been in the shop for anything major, none of them. I don't need dealer support. What if you found a great deal on a used low hour machine, a deal you couldn't pass up, where's the dealer support there? I'm not saying buying new with a great dealer is not important, it's just not to me.

I recommend the exmark.

olderthandirt
01-04-2004, 12:20 AM
I'm with weatherman on this one theres no way I'm driving 180 miles unless I was saving enough that I wouldn't care about dealer support same as buying used and thats how it would have to be priced

Mac

Turf Technologies
01-04-2004, 04:53 AM
You never know when somthing breaks. Maybe go with the Toro and be sure to have a back if possible. Or look for a Lesco dealer.
Also dont rush, you have a month to go.

FrankenScagMachines
01-04-2004, 08:39 AM
You all know Iím all for red but in this case I would vote Husqvarna. The reviews Iíve seen are pretty decent (enough to make me get one if in this situation) and they are some nice mowers really. 42Ē is a cut size you canít get with other brands of walk behinds, except Toroís 44Ē, so this might be a plus for it (may make it harder to get different kinds of blades such as Gators though, since most machinesí blades are interchangeable) Their control system looks nice but I havenít tried it yet. They have a floating deck with a lift lever at the back with adjustments back there too, straight off of a ZTR. Thatís a really really cool feature IMO. I demoíd a 36Ē fixed deck belt drive Husqvarna with a 14hp Kawasaki, about a year and a few months ago. Really it was a nice little mower, at least as nice and well-built as all the other belt drives I have tried since then (48Ē JD, 48Ē Lesco, 36Ē Toro T bar, maybe others I canít remember). The dealer was going to give it to me for $1500 (like new demo model) with 2 year full warranty, I almost got it but shyed out because I didnít have enough work for it and the dealer turned out to be a dud. But I would give it a shot, just check out the dealer real well. Iíve seen a couple other shady dealers since then, so itís not anything wrong with one brand just a couple bad eggs. Ask everyone you know what they think of that dealer. Everyone Iíve talked to since my bad experience with the Husqy dealer has similar opinions as I do.
Sorry for this being long, but I hope it helped. No I wouldnít drive 180 miles for eXmark if I couldnít work on the machine myself. I have an eXmark but got it used (í99 model) and I donít like our eXmark dealer. Never broke down on me yet, and I do all my own mechanicing so a used one is good for me and I donít give a rip about the dealer (would be different if it was new though, for sure).
Good luck, let us know what you do and donít get in a big hurry :) do your research and youíll be fine.

lawnman_scott
01-04-2004, 09:03 AM
Buy what you think is the better mower for the money. Is either dealer "good"? How many times is the average mower that is bought new in the shop for warranty work anyway? For the most part, they just dont breakdown that quickly, any brand.

Pecker
01-04-2004, 01:35 PM
Dealer support is far more important than brand, IMO. I'm partial to JD and run all JD equipment (mostly due to great dealer support in my area), but if they weren't around I'd be all over Exmark, Shindaiwa, etc. In your case, Husky. If NASA made commercial mowers, would you be willing to buy one if you had to drive to Florida every time it needs a parts, service, or repair (assuming of course that even a mower built by NASA engineers would need service sooner or later. . .) ? . . . Just food for thought. Anyhow, to answer your question - - Husky.

sildoc
01-04-2004, 02:59 PM
I agree dealer support is important but like Nest said Quailty goes a long way and most likely like everything else I have owned it doesn't go wrong untill the warranty is up. I do have shops that will work on the hydros, Kaw engine, and other parts that every mower has, but wont work on controls and frame and such. This being know would you still go with dealer support. I guess I really want the exmark but not sure if I want the hastle of running 180 miles.
Husky is a far better machine if you are going for what it has and the price but I have heard so much about exmark and like the ecs when testing. I just wish that someone will get an exmark dealership. Oh well thanks for your help and I guess I will have to loose some sleep Pondering what to do.

FrankenScagMachines
01-04-2004, 03:12 PM
With that info it's a toss-up. You're right, anyone will fix it and not likely to have troubles under warranty so it's up to you. What do you want? The only problem with the eXmark is if you accidentally get a rare lemon and have to go back to the dealer several times for the same issue or different issues. There is no reason for the occasional lemons in any brand but it does happen. Sometimes a bad batch of parts or improper specs when being assembled, a worker forgot to put a nut on the bolt or something. Itís not too likely but it is possible. 180 miles is a loooong way away. I think Iíd go with the Husqy if the dealer is good.

tawilson1152
01-04-2004, 04:10 PM
I'm glad to hear a couple voices going with JD because of the dealer. I have a few items to purchase before spring and have a JD dealer just down the road that I have done a lot of business with, but wasn't sure how their commercial equipment was rated. I know their riding mowers are popular(I have 3). Plus, I probably will be trading one of them in.

Kelly's Landscaping
01-04-2004, 04:21 PM
Being from CT 180 miles to me is interstate traveling from my house if I was to drive in one direction I could go to Road Island, Massachusetts, Vermont, New Hampshire, New York, Pennsylvania and New Jersey and still stay with in the 180 mile trip. 7 states fit that category for me I currently drive 45 mins probably some 30 miles to the dealer I use I have two options for exmark that are closer but one guy is a complete scumbag and the other cares more about selling jet skis and snow mobiles then lawn equipment I go there and I get to look at the mower in a catalogue. But just going 30 miles pisses me off no way id drive 180 thatís insane picture that your mower is down you get to spend the entire day getting the mower to the dealer and getting home and then hehehehe when he fixes it you get to do the trip again!

sildoc
01-04-2004, 09:19 PM
I agree that 180 miles is a lot, I do it at least 2 times a month to mow my mothers lawn and visit. The only problem is if I have to make multiple trips for problems.
I guess I will wait and see if the toro guy picks up exmark and start out with a husqvarna. Further input welcome.
Thanks.

Nw. Shadesofgreen
01-05-2004, 01:27 AM
The Exmark is a great machineand it sounds like you are leanning that way.
I'm not sure where you are in Oregon. By the look of your logo and Company name, I figure you must be some where close to Crater lake.
I am form Tacoma Wa. and we have a Sprinkler supply company called Horizon here. They are up and down the west coast. They sell Husky and Exmark. I hear that they have some of there stores set up to service what they sell. There customer service is really good here.
I looked in there catalog and they have a store in Bend. If the store doesn't have the equipment I am sure they would be able to get it for you. I have included there phone nuber in case you need it. 541-382-9333

Good Luck
Mike:cool:

Richard Martin
01-05-2004, 02:54 AM
You can also set up a deal with your Exmark dealer so that if you need simple repairs or parts under warranty he can send them to you. I have this setup with my Dixie dealer who is 60 miles away. It was never taken in for warranty work but I do order maintenance items from him.

GarPA
01-05-2004, 05:58 AM
If you are leaning to the Exmark, then you need to go that way...because if you dont, in the long run you may never be happy if you buy something else.

I've only been around commercial mowers for a few years so the other guys here can give you far better opinions on other brands.

But one thing I do know after all the reading and research I've done. Most all of the major brands make a decent mower. Personally, I love my Exmarks, but my dealer is the reason I will not buy another one. And I would never even think about 180 miles to have a minor fix done under warranty. I think its far more important to have a mechanic who is capable BEYOND the warranty period and who can work on your brand(s) of machines. The odds are, it wont break while in warranty anyway.

I have found a small engine/mower mechanic here in town that is awesome with any kind of engine or mower. So, he is getting all my business for things I cant do myself.

sildoc
01-05-2004, 12:01 PM
Nw. Shadesofgreen, Thanks for the phone number. I already talked to them. They couldn't match what I have already and as you know bend gets alot of snow so even though they are only 130or so miles it takes roughly an extra hour of travel this time of year. Buy the way was up there over christmas and checked around and found that the mower shop in mukilteo gives a deal of a price for the seatac area. They quoted me 3495 for the viking 36 and 3995 for tthp in crate 4125 out.
Im sure exmark will have a dealer here in the next year or so since every dealer I have talked to they have been marketing to heavily.
I would love to have the exmark but untill they get a dealer closer I guess I will be going with husky and when they get a dealer here probably be ready for a Z by that time.

Remsen1
01-05-2004, 12:12 PM
If the closest Exmark Dealer is 180 miles away, you should open a dealership!

sildoc
01-05-2004, 12:44 PM
Remsen1, Yeah and who would mow my lawns. For what they make I don't think I could just make it on just exmark.
Although I could propose that to the dealer up north to be an outlet or something like a salesman. All they would have to do is let me have a lazer and a TTHP and I think I could sell a bundle.

the scaper
01-05-2004, 03:48 PM
thats a long drive for anything. i like e-mark though. i bought a z-rider three years ago and it only been in the shop once. i do the small repairs myself. i guess if i was in your situation i'd still buy one but get parts by mail and just keep a good back up mower.