PDA

View Full Version : Types of Grass!

alpine692003
01-04-2004, 02:45 PM
What types of grass will the striping kit work on?

I know not all grass will allow the striping kit to do it's magic!

What sort of grass do you need to maintain as well? ie) does the grass have to be properly cut, watered, fertilized?

EagleLandscape
01-04-2004, 05:57 PM
Seems that you ask some really dumb questions. Pretty much anything can be striped. Just got to get the right height. ANd duh, the grass has to be properly watered/fertilized. Isn't that kind of a given?!?!

alpine692003
01-04-2004, 06:21 PM
uhm.. you can't freaking stripe any type of grass you freaking idiot!

I asked some of the guys down here and they said, not all types of grass are stripable..

workaholic
01-04-2004, 08:32 PM
It is possible to stripe all types of lawns. THE MORE PLUSH LAWNS ARE MUCH BETTER TO STRIPE it all comes down to the height you mow fertilizer, and in my area of cool season turf kentucky bluegrass p.rye and fescue grass looks better then say a p.rye or just fescues also has alot to do with how well its been irragated. I personally dont think you need to buy a striping kit for any mower because when you mow a lawn in one direction and come back in the opposite direction you get your stripes we never used them and we get the striped look all the time much better in the spring and fall then in summer months...

LawnPerfect
01-04-2004, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by jwingfield2k
Seems that you ask some really dumb questions.

kind of harsh arent you?
skip the merit badge in manners?

work_it
01-04-2004, 11:42 PM
:gunsfirin :cry:

kootoomootoo
01-04-2004, 11:45 PM
"uhm.. you can't freaking stripe any type of grass you freaking idiot!"

Name a grass that you cant numskull.

Striping is just having the leaf blade bent over uniformly in one direction and vice versa. Every grass has a different cell structure
and the effects differ.

o-so-n-so
01-05-2004, 12:56 AM
Bermuda Grass (warm season grass) is tough to stripe. If you maintain it correctly, it looks better unstripped. Nothin but greeeeen. IMO

O-O

FYI. The only dumb question is the one that is not ask.

Johnny
01-05-2004, 03:06 AM
Originally posted by jwingfield2k
Seems that you ask some really dumb questions. Pretty much anything can be striped. Just got to get the right height. ANd duh, the grass has to be properly watered/fertilized. Isn't that kind of a given?!?!

Why don't you give everyone a detailed lesson on striping. Take your time, gather some info, and get back to us.

Thank you for your support!!

Craig Turf Management
01-05-2004, 03:18 AM
Boys, boys what's with all the hostility? Maybe we need a children's forum. It surprises me that the moderators allow this type of exchange. Pros don't need to be so ruthless. If the questions upset you, then keep your comments to yourself.
Have a happy New Year, and be kind to one another. Bill Craig!

EagleLandscape
01-05-2004, 03:22 AM
SImmer down now. I know there is room for newbie questions and such, but when it comes down to some that are just plain dumb, ya gotta face the facts. And I will rest my case on the fact that "all grass is "stripable"" (if thats even a word).
But when statements are made about fertilizing/watering as for factors of being able to stripe, we all know that those two contribute to the health and beauty of a lawn. That is just kind of a given. Water your grass, give it what it needs, and keep it trimmed down. It's just mowing grass:-D (i know its more than that).

But some people on this site get so worked up over little things, it makes me stop and kinda slap myself and ask me where I really am. ...Customers paying late, what should i do about this, what should i do about that.... Use common sense. Most problems in life can be solved by common sense.

I guess it's just not all that common anymore.

alpine692003
01-05-2004, 03:25 AM
It's okay, jwingfield2k.

I dont take it personally, you're professional expert and know everything.. Next time I post a question that is stupid or remotely stupid, DON'T GO IN THAT FREAKING TOPIC.

EagleLandscape
01-05-2004, 03:31 AM
Posts such as these...

"How to do a tune-up?"
"What does the spark arrestor do?" (Ummm, are you kidding me?) Know what a spark is, know the definition of the word arrest?
http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=58498

"Is it true that 2 stroke engines equipments such as the shindaawa's, stihl's, backpack blowers, trimmers are bad for the environment?"
http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=58686

Basic math...
"My Shin t260 is 555ml capacity.

What is 50:1 in that?"
http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=553111#post553111

I'll stop, but with posts like that it's hard to take you serious. I know I don't have a right to question how professional you are, but if I was allowed to, those would sure be qualifying characteristics.

alpine692003
01-05-2004, 03:44 AM
I would have never found out those answers, if I never have posted those topics.

Mikes Lawn Landscape
01-05-2004, 09:41 AM
I'm gonna have to agree with my fellow Texan on this one. Alpine you need to get a grasp on the basics before you start charging people to mow their lawn ! Everyone is entitled to some dumb questions but NOT ALL OF THEM.

This is my only suggestion to you learn the basics then you can come here and post 8 posts a day. Buy a book !

Date Registerd 12/8/03
# of Posts 214

David Shaw
01-05-2004, 10:01 AM
alpine,

There's a book called PICTURE PERFECT "Mowing Techiniques For Lawns, Landscapes, and Sports". It's by David Mellor. I got it through Amazon.com. It's got some fairly basice info on stripping and lawn care. :drinkup:

allstar
01-05-2004, 10:09 AM
Hey Alpine,
The only way you're ever gonna learn is to ask questions.Since joining this forum I've asked alot of them,too and have had a few unkind remarks thrown my way as well.Despite that,every time I've asked for help or advice I have received at least 8 or 10 good,useful replies.So don't let the occassional harsh responses deter you.I guess it's part of the learning process and something we just have to deal with.Good luck. Jim

LawnPerfect
01-05-2004, 01:19 PM
alpine,
come here everyday and read as much as you can. if you dont find what you are looking for after doing a search, then by all means post your question. many people will do whatever they can to help. myself included.

alpine692003
01-05-2004, 01:36 PM
That's fine, I can take a beating.. It doesn't affect me whatsoever..

Behind the screen beating is fine by me, doesn't harm me what soever.

I've taking a beating by the public before since I was in public safety.

this aint nothing!

satxmow
01-05-2004, 01:48 PM
ask away. if people feel it is stupid or ignorant that is just an opinion. the only way to learn is to ask.:) i know i will have a lot of questions coming march when the season really kicks in.:confused: i may get some harsh answers:gunsfirin but oh well i guess that means they have nothing else better to do.

the scaper
01-05-2004, 02:15 PM
geez, the guy asked a simple question. might be a dumb question to some or a legit question to others but if he didnt have a reason for wondering he probably wouldnt have asked. kinda like "one mans trash is another mans treasure". i would think common sense would have it that if you see a question you dont like for some reason just ignore it, or be curtious about giving a answer. no reason to talk down to someone or try to make them feel dumb for asking. BTW i think most healthy plush lawns will stripe ok with or without a striping kit. i'm just speaking from my humble limited experience, i havnt read any books on it or done any search's.

Doster's L & L
01-05-2004, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by alpine692003
That's fine, I can take a beating.. It doesn't affect me whatsoever..

Behind the screen beating is fine by me, doesn't harm me what soever.

I've taking a beating by the public before since I was in public safety.

this aint nothing!

Man, i hate to do this to ya, but you set yourself up for it. Were you asking dumb questions prior to being put in public safety? :laugh: :laugh: Sorry, dude! :help:

For the record, what education do you have in this fine industry of ours? Maybe this will calm some of the guys down here. Or on the other hand, you will receive more 'behind the screen bashings'. Please fill us in on this.

alpine692003
01-05-2004, 08:53 PM
I have law enforcement training, nothing in the green industry.

I will learn more from the topics that I read here and just learn on the road..

iluvbermuda
01-05-2004, 11:44 PM
Man, some of you sure can be real hateful to folks. The guy just asked a question. Lighten up a little.:confused: :confused:

pcnservices
01-06-2004, 01:00 AM
jwingfield, I agree with you - there are so many threads lately with the most "duh" questions ask and most of them are a repeat of what was previously discussed in lenght.
It is frustating to come here and read stupid, irrelevant stuff that's suppose to be everyday common sense.

I would encourage everybody, especially the newer guys, to try and search into the archives of LS for the info they need and then come to the forums.

What I dont agree with though is the way you directly attacked this guy for asking a "stupid" question. Use a little more diplomacy next time. ;)

Alphine 692003, why would you want a striping kit for a 21" lawn mower? :dizzy:

PC

alpine692003
01-06-2004, 03:24 AM
Why not?

The lawns down here aren't that big!

the scaper
01-06-2004, 08:07 AM
Why not?

The lawns down here aren't that big! do a search and go buy some books!:D

David Haggerty
01-06-2004, 08:36 AM
Why not?

The lawns down here aren't that big!

Down here? You're talking to a bunch of Yanks.:D

You're only way down south to fellow Canadians.:rolleyes:

But seriously, I admire your determination to stripe lawns in the Pacific NORTH west.
But honestly, Jim Lewis is the resident expert here on Lawnsite.
He has a fleet of 21" mowers in that region of the continent. Maybe he can help you.

Dave

pcnservices
01-06-2004, 12:30 PM
Why not? The lawns down here aren't that big!

Okay, I asked a stupid question so I got a "why not" The size of the lawn has nothing to do with striping kits. It might have something to do with the size of your mower.
I think :dizzy:

This is just an idea I have - I might be wrong - but why dont you just add a little bit of weight on that safety guard that drags between the rear wheels? Don't you think that will enhance the striping finish you want to give your lawns? If your mower don't have it, try and salvage one from an old mower that's not in use any more. ;)

PC

alpine692003
01-06-2004, 01:42 PM
There is no incentive to buying a mower bigger then 21" down here in the WEST COAST.

The lawns aren't big enough. Maybe a 36" mower will be used as the bigggest, but that would be a waste of money as well.

21" is sufficient down here.. we do not have many acre lawns.

Kevin M.
01-06-2004, 05:59 PM
We have Bermuda,St. Augustine and Centipede down here in the cold south. It will get down into the 20s tonight. LOL You cant stripe either one of these three types of grass even though I see people trying to stripe them. St Augustine is my favorite grass stays green just about year round down here.

alpine692003
01-06-2004, 06:49 PM
^-- PROVES MY POINT..

see, there ya go jswing2k..

Doster's L & L
01-08-2004, 01:17 AM
Hey alpine, how about this. If you have alot of free time on your hands, you ought to go to the university nearby and get a book on lawn care for your area. You don't have to be a student to get one. Just go to the book store on campus, pay the $100, or whatever it costs, and read it. It is a good investment, trust me. If you have no background on lawncare, this will get you up to speed. Or better yet, take the course. I'd at least buy a book though. It's just my advice.

HOMER
01-08-2004, 08:25 AM
I have to agree..........centipede is pretty much not worth trying to "strip".

Bermuda might looked "stripped" right after it's cut but .........it really ain't.

St. Augustine don't hold a "strip" very long either.

Bahai will hold a stripe for a little while as long as it's a thick stand.

As for the stripes you see on here most of that is cool season grass like you should have in your area. I'm sure some of that won't even look good unless it's a healthy lawn and you cut it tall.

No.........all grass types won't stripe.

paponte
01-08-2004, 12:09 PM
WTF? Give the guy a freaking break. All he did was ask a question. That's what this forum is all about. Not everyone can know EVERYTHING. And if you think you know EVERYTHING, your even dumber than the dumbest question that can be asked. If it was such a dumb question, why did you take time out to post an answer? Just freaking skip over it, and go bless someone else with all of your BS knowledge. It's like kindergarten in here sometimes. :angry:

alpine692003
01-08-2004, 01:03 PM
lol.. According to my question, I was correct!

Not all types of grasses stripe according to some of you.

Anyhow, I think this topic has gotten enough responses!

I knew some amercians were arrogant, but not all :)

dishboy
01-08-2004, 01:08 PM
Ditto paponte!

jkwing2k: If you think the mans asks stupid questions and you answer them, then what does that say about your intellectual ability? So analyze your brilliant reponse and get back to us, I would be interested in your critique.

Doster's L & L
01-08-2004, 05:15 PM
Mr Aponte sure knows how to get his point across, doesn't he? lol

alpine692003
01-08-2004, 10:13 PM
Lets all get along now :)

Thanks for the great info though guys, I've read though and got more info from you guys! :)