PDA

View Full Version : grass clippings

mowinmoney
01-04-2004, 05:43 PM
For those of you who pick up grass clippings....
Where and how do you transport and dispose of them?

work_it
01-04-2004, 05:50 PM
Being that you're in Ft. Wayne, IN the primary type of grass that you'll be dealing with is Fescue. You really don't need to worry so much about bagging fescue since it is better to mulch the clippings. If you have customers that don't understand why just explain to them that it is one of the best natural fertilizers known. If they still want it bagged explain to them that there is an extra $15/wk charge to bag and dispose of the clippings. That usually changes their minds really quick.

hole in one lco
01-04-2004, 05:54 PM
I bag 90% of my lawns and then take them to the dump .I pay 180.00 a tun thats not cheap but the customer pays the bill at the end of the month and thats the way they want it

Avery
01-04-2004, 05:56 PM
I do not sign a bagging contract unless the customer provides a place to dump clippings...

work_it
01-04-2004, 06:08 PM
Avery is right on the money with this one unless you're looking at a sizable full service contract. I can dump here at the city's waste managment site for $30/load of grass clippings, but as you can see from hole in one lco prices vary from one city to the next. Another thing to consider is your time involved. Not only does it take extra time to bag, but have you ever tried to unload sizable amont of grass clippings? If you don't have a dump truck or a dump trailer you're going to be spending a lot of time emptying your truck or bin. Time is money, charge accordingly.

HOMER
01-04-2004, 06:56 PM
Gee, and I was bitchin' the other day about paying $28.00 a ton in another town. Here I pay $14.00 a ton for anything and everything!

$180.00 a ton is crazy........flat azz crazy!

hole in one lco
01-04-2004, 07:37 PM
Homer I'm with you
I dump in the same city i liven resident dump for free but seeing as i have insurance and fancy righting on my truck i have to pay go figure

workaholic
01-04-2004, 07:43 PM
We do not bag to much mostly in the spring and when we do leaf cleanups other then that we mulch. we transport are clippings in a pickup with a easy dump bed and take to are dumping site...

just Cuts
01-04-2004, 08:28 PM
We bag all lawns and have a deal worked out with a friend. I cut his grass for free and he let's me dump just about anything I want in the back of one of his fields. He has about 50 acres. He pushes the pile in the woods every other week.:drinkup:

Kelly's Landscaping
01-04-2004, 10:49 PM
I was using a organic recycle dump you pay like 5 a yard for grass and 4 a yard for leaves wood gets a bit more expensive up to 16 a yard but it beat paying as much as 96 a ton at one of the town dumps. Since Oct iv been in heaven free dumping of all my leaves and grass at a farm I'm friends with he teases me and says he will sell it back to me in a few years but the savings is sweet in the last 2 months and I wasnít that active he saved me like 750.00 this spring I expect that savings to be around 5000.00

LAWNPROzII
01-04-2004, 11:32 PM
Our dump lets us dump all grass clippings, brush, trees, etc. for free residential or commercial

Popsicle
01-04-2004, 11:49 PM
Either the customers' compost pile or a yard waste container supplied by the customer. (These are good-sized units that are picked up bi-weekly.)

:drinkup:

pcnservices
01-05-2004, 12:19 AM
Transport the clippings in the truck bed to the landfill site and dump it FREE of charge. They make huge compost piles and you can help yourself, and the general public too, with sifted compost for your garden as much as you want - again for FREE.

Only in America!
PC

paponte
01-05-2004, 03:47 PM
We haul our grass in dumps. Grass we dump at our local town facility for $40. ton. Leaves and brush we dump at a friends yard. :cool:

odin
01-05-2004, 05:28 PM
i dump at a farmer's who runs a compost dump....21 bucks for 3 yards of debriee

Lux Lawn
01-05-2004, 05:50 PM
We bag only when needed or if the customer asks us to, then we either put it on there treelawn for trash pick-up or alongside the garage and they can take it out on garbage night. Some customers will ask us to take it with us and dump it. Dumping around here is $11.00-$15.00 per cubic yard.

GrassBustersLawn
01-05-2004, 06:49 PM
$25 for 2 yards or $50 for 4 yards - with a 2 yd minimum at dump here. How much does grass weigh a yard? (for you people that get charged by the ton) From what LAWNPROzII says, maybe I'll rent an 80 yard semi dumper and haul it 500 miles to Kansas and dump for FREE! Now that (FREE DUMPING) is a SWEET DEAL!

Mike

LawnPerfect
01-05-2004, 07:07 PM
I have four customers that refused to allow me to mulch, only bag. So last year I would put the bagger on the mower and not connect the belt for the blower. (Yes the mulch kit was installed)
While it looked like I was bagging, I was mulching the whole time.

I talked to them all at the end of the season and they all agreed that the lawn looked better than it had in years. Of course the fertilizer helped too. So next year Im going to let the cat out of the bag and finally retire the bagger.

Shady Brook
01-05-2004, 09:23 PM
Hey Jack, are you dumping at Smitts Farm?

Take care buddy
Jay

Turfdude
01-05-2004, 10:38 PM
WE bag most everything in early spring and late fall. THe rest of the season depends on growth rate and client preferences. Our trucks hold up to 6 yds of grass, but we get charged for 3 of disposal at most for $8.75 per yard. We average no more than 3 truckloads a week w/ the occasional exception of early spring when we've occasionally had to dump daily.

workaholic
01-10-2004, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by lawndoctorllc
I have four customers that refused to allow me to mulch, only bag. So last year I would put the bagger on the mower and not connect the belt for the blower. (Yes the mulch kit was installed)
While it looked like I was bagging, I was mulching the whole time.

I talked to them all at the end of the season and they all agreed that the lawn looked better than it had in years. Of course the fertilizer helped too. So next year Im going to let the cat out of the bag and finally retire the bagger. beware you might shoot yourself in the foot buy telling them, i would just ask them to let you mulch it...