PDA

View Full Version : Schooling

frank's lawncare
01-05-2004, 12:52 AM
Did anyone here ever take(call me crazy)landscape contractor collage course.i know you can get realy advanced and take like soil testing and golf course management, but what about learning about putting in irrigation systems,watergardens,concrete,design and just every thing in general because if i am going to do this type of work i want to know more than the next guy. so if there is a school out ther give me some info.

Thanks,

Lance720
01-05-2004, 01:50 AM
Check with your local college. The University College in my area even offered an introduction to turfgrass course online.
Lance

TheKingNJ
01-05-2004, 02:27 AM
My college offers a Landscape Architecture class. I have to take it next spring cuz it won't fit in my computer science major as an elective.

My friend just took one this fall at a community college he said it was good. It focused on flower beds, retaining walls, walkways and small trees.

I haven't seen anything on turfgrass unless it's a school with a golf course Superintendent major or an accual turf grass major.

My community colleges I see are starting to offer a Landscpe Architecture major or a class dealing with it.

Craig Turf Management
01-05-2004, 03:25 AM
The landscape supply companies offer classes where I live. You can spend a Saturday learning basic irrigation, then another Saturday learning irrigation troubleshooting etc. The landscape stone supply yard near my home offers classes different times throughout the year. They teach about establishing a base, laying stone etc. There are landscape suppliers that teach landscape lighting. Most of these classes are free or cheap. First you take the class, then you buy there products when you are checked out on the installation etc.
Join a landscape or turf management association in your area. Network with other contractors and you will begin to receive info on these classes in the mail until you are sick of receiving them.
Hope this helps, Bill Craig!

mikeswag
01-05-2004, 08:58 AM
Frank,
I have a degree in Turfgrass Science and a degree in busness. I value both degrees. They help me a little with a few customers. However, NOTHING comes close to on the job training. A majority of my experience is in the golf course industry. It is amazing how much I have to learn about the Landscape industry.

btw, you won't learn much more than theory and basics in a college class. try spending more time with your irrigation sales people. HOPEFULLY, they will help you.

Team Gopher
01-05-2004, 09:04 AM
Hi Frank,

Maybe this link will help you. Click image for site.

http://www.pct.edu/schools/nrm/ln/borders/l4_head_name.gif (http://www.pct.edu/schools/nrm/ln/faq.htm)

Cutters Lawn Care
01-05-2004, 10:03 AM
Our local extension office offers a few classes a year. Also you can join your local green association. Ours meets once a month and you learn valuable info.

PLI1
01-05-2004, 05:28 PM
I have a degree in Horticulture.
The most beneficial classes I took...
-Landscape design and Plant Identification.
what I learned in these 2 classes alone are priceless.

The best experience of all is what I have learned "on the job."

I was a golf course Greenskeeper for 12 years and we did everything from building bridges, shingling the clubhouse, pouring concrete, drainage, brick pavers, rebuilding tractor engines,irrigation ect......
As a landscaper, I have learned a lot also, but more so with dealing with customers, becoming more efficient at running a business, dealing with employees and maintaining a balance between work and homelife. If you are married, this is especially important.
Check with local suppliers, sometimes they offer one day courses in things such as laying brick pavers, building ponds, irrigation and so on.
If there is a local landscape supply house, check with them also.