PDA

View Full Version : Snow tires or chains?

P&C Lawn Care
01-05-2004, 09:34 AM
This may need to go in the Truck/Trailer category, but I posted here for more input: For the guys (and girls) who drive in the ice and snow alot (not alot here in OK) what is the best for snow and ice. Do you use studded tires or chains, or is there other options. I have an extra set of rims for my Chevy 2500 and wanted to be able to jack the rear end up and swap tires when it does get bad. I usually add about 400 lbs of sand in the bed too. We have more ice here than we do snow, but I want to be able to get around if it ever gets nasty outside. Thanks for any inputs.

lawnwizards
01-05-2004, 09:41 AM
i use snow tires and about 3 to 4 hundred pounds of cinderblocks. seems to do alright for me.

olderthandirt
01-05-2004, 09:44 AM
Chains for ice, pain to put them on/off but they work the best on ice. Snow your choice, but if I did not get alot of either a good set of all seasons with a little aggressive tread all I would bother with. Nothing is great for ice so I would sit inside and wait for the salt trucks, Maybe catch up on some paper work or zzzzzzzzzz

Mac

STAN1366
01-05-2004, 11:04 AM
I've got 4 studded snow's mounted and ready to go when it gets bad. I also put 500lbs or so in my Chevy 1500, but it's 2wd w/o a posi.

sildoc
01-05-2004, 01:05 PM
Both. Studs for every day day to day use and when it gets really bad CHAINS.
I don't know about OK but here in Oregon you run into them requiring chains throughout the winter season. Heck a pair of chains are only 80 bucks for a good pair and if used occasionally and taken care of will last a life time. Thats cheap security.

FrankenScagMachines
01-05-2004, 01:57 PM
All terrain mud+snow tires on my two wheel drive truck with around 350 lbs. of concrete blocks in bed. Dad has an í84 Mercury Cougar rear wheel drive car that he just drives to work and back and he has studded snow tires on back of it (Iíve driven it once in snow before the studded tires itís a wildcat, touchy throttle, rear wheel drive, not terrible heavy and no anti lock brakes :eek: ) and he puts two 40 lb. bags of water conditioner rock salt in the trunk this way he can use them if he gets stuck (rare) by putting them against the tires and in a little path to help get traction to pull out, or just put them in the water conditioner in the spring if unused. Thereís only certain months you are allowed to run studded tires here, I think itís November through March. He runs them through that whole time pretty much. He says the studs and salt helps some. My truck is awful in the snow without the blocks, I was out of town first snow of the season and had to drive back in the snow and it hasnít snowed since I added the blocks so I hope they help a lot cause it wasnít too good if you were on uneven or slick roads. If theyíve been salted and are level youíre fine with good tires and some weight IMO. I rode in a friends 4wd with mud and snow tires, no weight, he had the thing sliding all over the parking lot (on purpose, showing off) and still had control of the vehicle because he had power to all 4 wheels, I was amazed at the capability of it.

paponte
01-05-2004, 04:41 PM
Chains are not allowed here. We use a good set of agressive tires, and some weight over the axles. :cool: