PDA

View Full Version : Empire Zoysia Grass

zturncutter
01-05-2004, 03:38 PM
Does anyone maintain a property with this grass. If so what is your opinion on it and at what hieght do you cut it, fertilizer frequency etc?

Kelly's Landscaping
01-05-2004, 05:09 PM
Oh yea I work with that crap I absolutely hate it. One its some of the thickest grass your ever see if your cutting more then an inch your likely have to bag it or it will sit on top of the lawn. On walk behinds iv noticed the traction goes to hell they donít like pulling them selfís though it and I live in New England it is yellow 9 and half months out of the year if its not 80 its not green. We canít buy the grass up here but every now and then some idiot sends for it though a magazine ad. You also wont need to worry about weeds it is one and will snuff out even crap grass once that gets in your lawn thatís all you will have it just takes over.

KirbysLawn
01-05-2004, 05:22 PM
Try Primo Max on a small section. Don't know what Primo Max is " do a search "

65hoss
01-05-2004, 09:12 PM
You need answers from people that live where this stuff really grows. This isn't a grass for the northern part of the US. That is the reason they don't understand it.

You can maintain Empire at 1" to 4". I usually cut all my Zoysias between 2.75" and 3.25". I use the mulch kits and it never lays on top and looks bagged. Empire is a premium grass and does very well in the heat.

Cutters Lawn Care
01-05-2004, 09:18 PM
I have a few lawns with this grass. If your cutting it over 1.5" it may develope a thatch problem. It would probably need dethatching once per year. Fertilize 7 times per year.

65hoss
01-05-2004, 09:21 PM
In warmer climates its not necessary to dethatch. Many people don't know what true thatch is anyway. They assume its the clippings on top of the soil. In warm climate if you aerate once a year the microbes in the soil will decompose the "thatch" quickly. It helps to activate it.

zturncutter
01-05-2004, 11:02 PM
Thanks for the input, it is relatively new in our area and was installed at the local county administration center about a year ago. It seems to be holding up very well compared to the two prominent grasses in our area, St. Augustine and Bahia.:cool:

MR. Nomo
01-06-2004, 01:12 PM
What do you guy's cut this grass with, a z or wb or a push mower. I have a friend that has an account with this grass and said he is thinking about giving it away.
Its a 35 - 40 min. job and he get $40 per cut.
He uses a honda push mower and say's it never looks that great.

What do you think?

65hoss
01-06-2004, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by MR. Nomo
What do you guy's cut this grass with, a z or wb or a push mower. I have a friend that has an account with this grass and said he is thinking about giving it away.
Its a 35 - 40 min. job and he get $40 per cut.
He uses a honda push mower and say's it never looks that great.

What do you think?

I use my Z mostly. My 36" w/b does fine also. I run the mulch kits and never leave the clippings laying on top. If its been over fertilized it can grow fast enough and thick enough to slow you down.

This is a pic of zoysia a couple years ago that was just coming out from dormancy and hadn't thickened up all they way yet. I cut it with the 36" eXmark.