PDA

View Full Version : sulkys which is best

dgram8
01-05-2004, 04:04 PM
which sulkys are the best would it make any difference to change tires to smooth ones or get the one without wheels

TJLC
01-05-2004, 04:11 PM
If you use the search feature at the top of this page and type in "Sulky" " Velkie" or "Proslide" I think you will probally find all the info you want. I'm not trying to be a smart@ss, just trying to help. Good luck

LawnMower
01-05-2004, 04:33 PM
Iv had a Velky and I have a Pro Slide.

Velky Pros: The Velky was nice because the mower doesn't't have to work that hard to pull you along.

You can back up and not get off it. You can go down a hill and still stand on it.

You can go up a hill and stand on it. You can go cross ways on a hill and kind of stand on the center fender and it works well.

You don't have to get off off the Velky when traveling on gravel or the road.

Velky Cons: If you have a single wheal, then it leaves a wheel mark.

When mowing under a bush the wheel may dig up the turf.

The wheel has to spin around and under it self when you get off of it to back up. Its kind of in the way, when you cant for some reason mow wile standing on it.

In wet conditions the fender will clock with wet grass almost immediately. The wheel will jam so bad that you will need to take the wheel off. This means your going have to take it off the mower and get out the tools. Its messy and greasy.

You have to hang it up out of the way when not in use. Its always in the way.

Pro Slide Pros: It pops up and out of the way when you get off of it.

It leaves an amazing stripe when mowing. Theres a lot of room to stand. For taller guys like my self its lower to the ground. So that means the mower handles are closer to me. I don't have to bend over as much.

Pro Slide Cons: It only pops up and out of the way when new. Other wise the springs and strut lose there power, and it remains in the way. I am always whacking my chin on the thing.

The mower has to actually pull you over the grass, so it robs power.

Your sliding on the grass, so turf damage is easy.

If you try standing on it going down a hill (not even a steep one), it will slide forward into the mower, and you will slide forward into the mower. Iv had a couple of close calls.

Its very difficult to go up a hill. Traction and robbing power are the main reasons.

Going around a corner just a little to fast in the wet will throw you off the slide and create a very bad situation.

The Velky kind of locks ya in.

You have to get off the slide when you traveling on anything but turf. So if your truck is a good distance away, then your walking.

The slide wheres out. But the good thing is, you don't have to replace everything, just the Polly.

ElephantNest
01-05-2004, 04:36 PM
I have the two wheeled Jungle Jim, and I love it. I load and unload it on the trailer without getting off, can back up at almost full speed. Love it.

Rick Jones
01-05-2004, 05:36 PM
Try a castering sulky like the BullRider. They have two modes trailing and castering to suit all kinds of machines and mowing conditions. They're expensive, but well worth it, as they are built like a tank.

rodfather
01-05-2004, 05:38 PM
We have been using only one-wheel velkies for the past 9 years.

ElephantNest
01-05-2004, 05:50 PM
That's what I was used to rod, before I got the two wheeled kind. Gotta say, I'm very glad I switched. Leaves much nicer lines, and can get around much quicker due to backing up if needed in a spilt second. Much more stable when in reverse.

Metro Lawn
01-05-2004, 08:47 PM
I have the 2 wheeled castering type on my Turf Tracers. The guys like them better because they are always behind the machine and they can back up without jack-knifing.

work_it
01-05-2004, 09:15 PM
I have the 2 wheeled sulky from Havener enterprises and liked it until I had it for about 5 or 6 months. I found a problem with the design where the pin that connected the swing arm to the bracket on the mower started stretching the fittings causing the sulky to swing from side to side instead of vertically. I'm in the process of modifying the swing arm now, but really didn't get a positive response from Havener enterprises when I contacted them about the problem. Isn't it funny that companies like them are always willing to sell you their product, but when it comes to backing them up.......well, that's another story. I even told them that I would fix the problem, but all I needed was 2 new bushings that they already have in stock. They wouldn't even send me the 2 bushings without me having to pay for them even though the problem occured during the warranty period. If I remember correctly, which I do, the guy told me to take it back to the shop that sold me the sulky. Sorry, but when I have a manufacturer rep. telling me that they want me to go back through a middle man it kind of ticks me off. I WILL NEVER PROMOTE HAVENER ENTERPRISES AGAIN!!! As a suggestion to anybody else looking for a sulky steer clear of Havener Enterprises.

rob1325
01-05-2004, 09:16 PM
I have Lesco sulkys and they work great for me

Roger
01-06-2004, 02:05 PM
I now have a BullRider, using it in trailer mode. It is by far the best solution for me.

Do a search with my name as the author, BullRider as a keyword. The posts will tell you the history and how I got to this solution (gone through Velke and ProSlide before getting to BR).

rodfather
01-06-2004, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by ElephantNest
That's what I was used to rod, before I got the two wheeled kind. Gotta say, I'm very glad I switched. Leaves much nicer lines, and can get around much quicker due to backing up if needed in a spilt second. Much more stable when in reverse.

I've got too many of them Nest to switch all over right now (plus one spare in each of my 3 trucks just in case one breaks on the job). Thanks for the info though...I will take it into consideration too.

Ryan Lightning
01-06-2004, 06:18 PM
I like my Bull Rider, Its very easy to use. I used a one wheel velkie on a freinds mower for a week, and hated everything about it, It wore me out between it and the belt drive t-bar toro it was attached to.

walker-talker
01-06-2004, 07:29 PM
Do they make a castoring sulkey that lifts up like the proslide when you step off? Probably too much weight I reckkon? The problem I have is I park my TTHP on the trailer sidways (using side gate to load and unload) and the handles actually hang over the trailer by a few inches when parked.

Thanks
Matt

LawnPerfect
01-06-2004, 07:32 PM
I dont mean to hi-jack, but this is on topic.
Has anyone used the Xmark self steering sulky? It looks and sounds nice but six bills seems kind of high for two wheels and a seat.
Enlighten me.

Joel B.
01-06-2004, 08:10 PM
Here's what I use, Protero PS-200. Works great and has more than one place for your feet to rest.