PDA

View Full Version : do you pros ever get tired of answering the same newbie questions over and over?

lawnwizards
01-05-2004, 05:08 PM
just wondering if you get tired of answering all of the questions newbies always ask? i've gotten so much great info from you guys. thanks so much.

Lawn wizards

chuckwk
01-05-2004, 05:17 PM
Some do, some don't... depends on the personality and patience of the member... some get sick of the same questions, some have more patience and are eager to help as much as possible.

Remember, the search tool is great but I understand how people want fresh content, etc., etc... also, its not like every new member understands how the Internet works, let alone this site and how the community works.

KirbysLawn
01-05-2004, 05:20 PM
What Chuck said.

The search function answers sooo many questions.

Tonyr
01-05-2004, 05:32 PM
A combination of the extensive search feature with fresh real time info gives all the info anyone could need.

About answering the same questions etc. this is a forum, we are here to help and communicate with each other, if someone objects to answering a question they have the option of simply not answering, no one holds a gun to their head demanding their imput, and those that can't handle simple sensible newbie questions must of been born a pro and never needed help themselves at any time, those that get het up about questions that they have the choice not to answer make me wander why they log on to a forum anyway. Some forget what this site is for...

The search feature is great, the easy, common questions are covered well.

rodfather
01-05-2004, 05:41 PM
Sometimes I wonder if there is anything new to talk about that hasn't been already discussed. And yes as Chuck said, the search function is an excellent resource.

Ground Master
01-05-2004, 06:54 PM
I'm sure most guys/gals ignore those threads

LawnPerfect
01-05-2004, 06:58 PM
I forget who it was that said that there hasnt been a new idea in years.
Yes the search function is a wonderful tool. But you simply cant beat fresh ideas. Maybe after spending more time on lawnsite I will beat a newbie into the ground for asking a question that has already been answered, but for now I will try to answer them as I can.
Its like having children isnt it?

chuckwk
01-05-2004, 07:01 PM
"Maybe after spending more time on lawnsite I will beat a newbie into the ground for asking a question that has already been answered."

Now, that's not nice... I hope nobody beat you into the ground (or any member)

LawnPerfect
01-05-2004, 07:16 PM
No Chuck I have been very lucky in that all my questions have been answered with no one slamming me down. However I do see threads where people arent so nice. But they are few and far between.
While I have your attention I do want to say thank you for this site. My father in law asked me the other day what tool has been the most profitable for me since starting my LCO. My response was Lawnsite. I have learned more in a very short time than I would have learned in years on my own.

Chuck

Qdriver
01-05-2004, 07:18 PM
I understand some of the "more seasoned" members may get impatient at the new members asking questions that have been already answered many times. I personally have learned a lot just by reading. The search function IS a great feature. However, I feel it is the personal interaction that makes this forum such a great place. If you could only read posted information and not "talk" to others, I feel this site would not be as popular as it is. My thanks to all of the members for their patience and knowledge.

chuckwk
01-05-2004, 07:20 PM
lawndoctorllc

Sean & I both thank you.

lawnman_scott
01-05-2004, 07:48 PM
No. I dont search either, because if anyone has noticed a thread could start about pricing, go to contracts, to hourly rate, to online bickering, back to pricing, to bobbygedd, and end up back at contracts or closed. So I just read the first page and see whats current. Besides that, almost everything has been awnsered in one way or another, but there is different people and views.

Expert Lawns
01-05-2004, 08:06 PM
I'll be honest. If I have a question that I know has been answered umpteen times, I still start a new thread. The reason is that over time, people learn new things and may have updated information to add. This can be more beneficial than searching and reading old threads. If it annoys some of the older and more experienced users, they can ignore it. If someone has something to add, then it just helps us all. Just my outlook...

proenterprises
01-05-2004, 08:20 PM
There are a fair amount of questions here that are asked day in and day out by new members who do not yet know how the site really opperates. New members do need to recognize that the search feature is a good tool to prevent asking the same question over and over again.

However, when members on this site immediately tell a new member to use search on their first post, new members often become gun shy of asking any future questions for fear that they may have been asked already, they have missed it in the search section and they will be flamed for asking it again.

It is key to remind those newbies to use search, but feel free to ask a question that they could not find the answer to.

Avery
01-05-2004, 08:33 PM
Depends on the question. I disagree with the old saying that there is no such thing as a dumb question. :laugh:

Fareway Lawncare
01-05-2004, 08:55 PM
I've been on these sites for over 5 years. I've seen them come & go & one thing remains the same.

People have to learn things for themselves.

GTLC
01-05-2004, 09:13 PM
Yes, I have to also give a great thanks to all of the pros out there who have answered my numerous questions-I am 16 and still learning everyday from you great guys!

Thanks

nelbuts
01-05-2004, 10:50 PM
Don't let the kid you they love it!! Makes them feel important to answer the same question 100 times. Hey wait I is them. Yes I like to answer them cause I want to help. Lol

New guys don't know how to do all the searches. So I understand why they ask. Soooooooo ask away!

cantoo
01-05-2004, 10:59 PM
Man, I'm so old I can't even remember what I had for breakfast yesterday. Every quesion is new to me,,, what was the qquestion again? Oh yeah, I would try a starter fertilizer then cut it every two days until the weeds all die then lay the pavers in a stagered pattern starting at the outside lot line. :D

twwlawn
01-05-2004, 11:13 PM
Since becoming a member last Nov. '03, I posted a thread "Can't believe what I have been missing", From then to now I have used the search and have gotten great info from this site. There has been alot of threads that were the same but, there was different posts in them with different information. I have learned alot from this site in the last 2+ months and thanks to all of you.

In the earlier years some of the information is outdated and I don't mind the questions that are asked over and over. New information is exposed to learn from, from all of you Pro LCO's. Keep them coming.

Lanelle
01-05-2004, 11:39 PM
Its pretty simple. When boredom about something sets in, you don't spend your time on that topic. Let someone else share. Find something else that is more interesting and participate in that thread. There's no need to bash or whine---although I do find it annoying for the same question to be asked multiple times within 48 hours, thus producing duplicate threads.

Expert Lawns
01-05-2004, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by cantoo
Man, I'm so old I can't even remember what I had for breakfast yesterday. Every quesion is new to me,,, what was the qquestion again? Oh yeah, I would try a starter fertilizer then cut it every two days until the weeds all die then lay the pavers in a stagered pattern starting at the outside lot line. :D

crack kills

mtdman
01-06-2004, 05:05 AM
Originally posted by Ground Master
I'm sure most guys/gals ignore those threads

What he said. But sometimes I come to the board and it feels like it's all been done before.

:D

David Haggerty
01-06-2004, 06:28 AM
Only when it's the same question from the same guy, over and over. :D

Search is fine for bringing a person "up to speed" on a subject. But the questions are never quite exactly the same.
"What's the best mower?" question coming from Texas, isn't exactly the same as if the question were coming from Michigan.

And the answers change. For instance, MegaMow is no longer ridiculed. Some folks think it's a pretty good system now. Dixie Chopper is no longer considered the "Ultimate mowing machine" like it was a couple of years ago.

I think this is still a very new forum. We are just recently acknowledging the difference in conditions. You never used to hear about southern grasses vs cool season grasses.
Some people are just beginning to loosen up and reveal some of what they must have believed to be "trade secrets".
The only thing I would be reluctant to post would be something I would be ashamed to be caught doing.

I think sharing info, and educating others is the only way to improve quality throughout the industry.
The public won't put up with a poor barber, or get a lousy haircut just because it's cheap.
Let's do the same for the lawncare industry.

Dave

crawdad
01-06-2004, 06:43 AM
Originally posted by lawnwizards
just wondering if you get tired of answering all of the questions newbies always ask? i've gotten so much great info from you guys. thanks so much.

Lawn wizards

This question has been asked and answered a dozen times this year. Next time do a search!!! :eek:

Just kidding.
Threads with names that don't give a clue to the content, thats what bugs me.
Crawdad

Pilgrims' Pride
01-06-2004, 07:49 AM
Though I don't post often,
I never get tired of answering questions for people who really want to learn.
I was young once too and I remember all the tight lipped ole boys who wouldn't answer the easiest things because they would never consider helping a competitor.

65hoss
01-06-2004, 09:29 AM
What mower is the best?

Sometimes I brush over threads and don't answer over and over again. Over the years some info changes, technology changes, processes change, opinions change. I've changed my opinion on a few things over the years. Anyway, it gets old chasing 20 new threads a day over the same question, especially during the winter when its most active here.

pjslawncare/landscap
01-06-2004, 04:09 PM
It dont bother me. At my age, I suffer from short term memory loss anyway.
Wait, What was the question again?

1grnlwn
01-06-2004, 04:34 PM
It gives the (just past new guy) people a chance to answer some questions. The people who answer with do a search are post count driven. And it's obvious that someone is new to the industry when there biggest concern is what brand mower/trimmer/blower they have. Most mfg make good equip it's what you do with it that counts.

Meg-Mo
01-06-2004, 05:48 PM
Its been along 3 mo. but I do not mind answering questions over.Thanks DAVID