PDA

View Full Version : Need help on price

guff1972
01-05-2004, 09:28 PM
I have the chance to bid on mowing for one of the state lakes.
There are 3 different contracts, 1 is for mowing the backside of the dam area which is about 130 acres. The other 2 are for mowing the campground area which amounts to about 75-80 acres each. What would your advice be on charging for these different contracts and what equipment would be best. Any help would be appreciated.

Potomac Lawns Inc.
01-05-2004, 09:33 PM
need some more details on the type of terrain and how often you would mow

guff1972
01-05-2004, 11:01 PM
The terrain is small rolling hills with a fair amount of trees, there would very little trimming to do. We would mow on an as needed basis, which would probably be on an average of every 2-3 weeks

PLI1
01-06-2004, 03:21 PM
If this is a job that is a Municipal bid find out what the previous bid was. In my neck of the woods many Municipal jobs are bid so cheap, its not even worth the time bidding since you need to obtain a bid bond ect... One job near me was for a Park District and a company serviced it last year for an average of $8 per acre. Other jobs around here, not much better. If its the same around you, dont even bother! If not, bid a price where it's worth your while. As far a machines 72" ztrs for the dam area and 60" ztrs for the campground. I would bid no less than 35-45 per acre.

brentsawyer
01-06-2004, 03:57 PM
No offense. $35-45 per acre on a 60-72" Z. Ok that is about anywhere from $100-200 per hour. Why waste your time or better yet ink cartridge. Have to be more realistic of what your costs are and profit levels are. First you need to know productivity and hourly costs. Then move onto overhead (fixed and variable) then profits. Do these and forget about other people bids IMO. Most here will BS you and say so much per acre, when that may be possible for smaller commercial bids in the >10 acre range, this one is not even the least bit comparable except for your variable overhead which will be hourly costs for employees pay, taxes, fuel, equipment depreciation and maintenance, etc.

Potomac Lawns Inc.
01-06-2004, 05:07 PM
I agree with BRENTSAWYER figure out what it will cost you to get the job done and are you going to have to buy the equipment just for this job if so will the job pay for it or will you have a use for it on other jobs

Steve