PDA

View Full Version : Anyone running mulch kits all season long non-stop?

justmjc
01-06-2004, 01:14 AM
Just picked up a mulch kit in fall and want to run them in the spring. Anyone have good luck doing that? I know that only 1 or 2 accounts get a little long each week and the majority are rather short. I don't think it should be a problem. Anyone running them exclusively?

ElephantNest
01-06-2004, 01:23 AM
Yes, I do. On my 36" TTHP exmark. Just ordered a catcher for it, but doubt I'll use it much.

trying 2b organic
01-06-2004, 01:49 AM
Im glad u posted this question. The limits to when you can mulch are percieved to be wet grass and grass that is too long. Both considered limits strickly from an asthetic point of view of course. Clippings in clumps with wet, clippings more visible if the grass was longer. I run just 21's so if u could comment on that as well if they dont mulch as well as the big boys. :laugh:
my new mower is a husky mulcher but i got it late in the season and have only bagged with it so far.
Plus the manual says you dont sharpen a mulching blade, what the hell is up with that, i assume of course that the owners manual is incorrect. I know husky a low end pro at best but surely i dont have to throw it out when the blade gets dull.

TJLC
01-06-2004, 09:03 AM
I mulch all year round with my TTHP's. I admit there are times when it can be a pain but overall it has been the best way for me to go. I have never heard of not sharpening mulching blades. I try to keep mine as sharp as possible. Good luck.

rkbrown
01-06-2004, 09:16 AM
Mulch kit on my Exmark Viking stays on year around. Thusfar, it seems that the yesses do warm season grasses.

Meg-Mo
01-06-2004, 09:24 AM
Put MEG MO blades on and get away from all the troubles of the mulching kits and clumps of grass. The knives stay sharper 10 times longer and very little build up under the deck. Knives balanced all the time. Let the grass discharge with no clumping showing on turf because grass is cut up 5 to 6 times smaller than with your blades. Mulching kits holds the grass under the deck and you have to clean the deck.
OEM blades throws the grass out, but the MEG-MO blades blows the grass out. The grass is cut finer and is disbursed better than throwing it out.

Roger
01-06-2004, 01:51 PM
I bought a mulching kit for my Exmark 36" Viking several years ago. I used it sparingly soon after getting it, then put it in the corner of the garage -- where it has been located since.

I have some properties that require bagging. Also, my customers only will accept one cut per week, regardless of how much the grass grows. I must cut what is there and often the growth is too much to mulch. Further, during much of the Summer, the early morning work is done with heavy dew, making mulching impossible.

For me, on/off/on/off/ ... is too much time, for any time saved from bagging. Just keep working, bag where I must, discharge where I can. Forget the mulching kit.

LawnPerfect
01-06-2004, 02:17 PM
I have been wondering where the Meg-Mo guy was.

Who was it that did the test on them? Was it Gamba?

naturescape
01-06-2004, 02:43 PM
Notice states where people are posting from. You're in MI? Good luck leaving the mulch kit on! I have one for a 48 TT. If it goes on again, I know it won't be for long.

You'll leave stains all over cement, at best, on cool-season lawns with any kind of moisture.

I'm using an OCDC from now on, and most of the time will run double blades.

rotgg
01-06-2004, 02:59 PM
we runn them all the time

STAN1366
01-06-2004, 08:34 PM
I took the mulcher kit off my Lazer after 3 weeks because of what it dropped on sidewalks and driveways. Wet grass was impossible to do nicely. I now just use a Trimmer Trap OCDC, a Grass Gobbler when needed, or the Ultra-Vac in the Fall. Might give the Meg-Mo blades a try.

Cut 2 Please
01-06-2004, 08:46 PM
In Central Alabama I mulch year round. I have no problems.

TotalCareSolutions
01-07-2004, 05:33 AM
residential=mulch
comercial=discharge
my.02

tazz
01-07-2004, 07:40 AM
We run them all year long. Alot of our accounts are very limited on the space between houses. It helps keep clippings out of beds and off the side of houses.It saves us alot of cleaup time and looks good.

turfman33
01-07-2004, 08:17 AM
Mulch all year round. If I do get a few clumps I run over them again and it mulches it right up.

Steve

CSRA Landscaping
01-07-2004, 10:33 AM
Yep, all year long.

How is there a zone 8 in Canada? Can't be the USDA zones ...

naturescape
01-07-2004, 01:03 PM
Like I said, observe the state where everybody who mulches year round posts from! LOL

DJL
01-07-2004, 03:42 PM
I'm from Jersey and I have two 48" WB. I have one setup for mulching and the other for side discharge or bagging (if necessary). So, I guess you can say I attempt to mulch all year long but sometimes, especially during the wet, spring growing season, I can't on some of my accounts b/c it doesn't look good.

DieselDeere
01-08-2004, 08:07 AM
I mulch all-year but like naturescape said it's messy.

HacMan91
01-08-2004, 08:22 AM
We run ours year around. We touch up a few strips with the walker at certain times of the year.

lawnchopper
01-09-2004, 01:01 PM
on our toro Z master we have a fixed recycler deck if we want to bag we just pull of a section of the baffel to allow us to use the build on collection system.
I works well when the grass insnt long and we however you cant mow as fast therefore taking longer
overall it doens a good job

brucec32
02-06-2004, 12:13 AM
I have lived here in south fl for about 4 months now and have yet to see a commercial crew do anything but discharge. I plan on mulching on residentials, keeping one mower in reserve for discharge if Bahia gives me problems with the mulching deck on the lazer. I will never bag again, thankfully. Grass type and volume makes a big difference on what to do with clippings.

I mulched all my Bermuda lawns last year with excellent results. Required a 2nd pass on some lawns and when growth got ahead of weekly mowing, but even then it's faster than stopping to dump clippings and then dealing with them later.

Willis
02-06-2004, 11:40 AM
I will either discharge or bag during the spring - peak season then when it slows down i'll mulch the rest of the season.