PDA

View Full Version : Sod removers,bed preparation,etc.

allstar
01-06-2004, 09:17 AM
I've never seen much posted about this topic and my search didn't yield much either.To start with,do customers frequently ask you to make them new flower beds?How many of you own sod removers,bed edgers,etc. and how much do they cost?Thanks.

PLI1
01-06-2004, 02:57 PM
The beds I most commonly make are for landscape installations, sometimes for perennial flower beds and rarely for annual flower beds.
I own a Ryan 12" and 18" sod cutter. I don't know if they still make the 12" anymore. Mine was made in 1960 and I love it. It is great for small jobs and tight areas. The 18" I know sells new for about $2800.00. I use them both all the time. As far a bed edger, I have a E-Z Trench with a 5.5hp Honda with adjustable height control. This is an incredible time saver for redifining mulch beds in the Spring or whenever needed. I paid about $2200.00 for that. Neither of these machines are cheap, but I couldn't do what I do without them. You may be able to find a used sod cutter if you look hard enough. I've seen a couple at Municipal auctions over the years. As far as bed edgers go, they haven't been around a real long time. Finding a used one may be hard, but you may find one if you look hard enough. One word of caution though. They take quite a beating because of rocks, tree roots ect., so if you find one make sure its not a piece of *&%^.

The Happy Gardner
01-06-2004, 03:53 PM
I use sod cutters all the time. Always rent and just add it onto the price. I've toyed with buying one but at this point can't justify the price. Have never used or even heard of a bed edger though. Sounds promising, will start looking around.