PDA

View Full Version : Service Guide

Expert Lawns
01-06-2004, 07:37 PM
I would like to provide my customers with a Service Guide. This will outline the services we offer with an underlined explaination of each. Included will be core aeration, bagging, pruning, hedge trimming, edging, weed control (on pavement and in mulched areas), and dethatching. Do any of you do this? If so, where is the best place to gather information for my customers? I would like it to be simple (laymans terms) for them. A few illustrations might help.

mtdman
01-06-2004, 08:02 PM
Lookie (http://www.tjslawncare.com/services.html). I also print this out for the technology challenged. Not real in depth, just enough to explain things.

LawnPerfect
01-06-2004, 08:15 PM
Hey mtdmaster,
Thats a great explanation for customers. Mind if I steal a few lines?

mtdman
01-06-2004, 08:20 PM
Seeing as how you asked, and didn't secretly steal everything like a former member did last summer, sure. I'm all about sharing, as long as you ask first.

:D

LawnPerfect
01-06-2004, 08:23 PM
Thanks man. :waving:

Lazer_Z
01-06-2004, 08:37 PM
mtdmaster that is a very nice site

And if you don't mind i have a couple of questions for ya

How is the invoice style of billing working for you?

And did you have a hard time getting people to get the whole concept of that type of billing system?

The reason i ask is because i'm thinking of going at it that way and quiting the pay as you go gig and thanks for any answers

mtdman
01-06-2004, 09:12 PM
What type of billing do you mean? The package plan, you mean? That works fine. I've done that for about 5 years now, and I have never had someone ask to go back to the pay as you go billing.

I am actually thinking of going to more of a equalized payment type of thing, figuring the mowing charges per season and billing equally for 7 months, like many people do here.

Email/pm me if you have questions.

Lazer_Z
01-06-2004, 10:26 PM
Well you did answer my questions sorry for such a confusing way of asking

thill
01-06-2004, 11:03 PM
mtdmaster

That is a nice site. Thanks for sharing.

On invoicing.... we do the twelve month average and send the invoice at the first of each month. The terms are ten days and quite a few (it used to be nearly all) pay in 10-15 days.

AS our commercial base grows, we see more and more paying right at 30 days.

Do most of you guys who invoice monthly invoice at the first or the end of the month being billed? I am down right curious.

Tom

Lazer_Z
01-06-2004, 11:34 PM
Well i'm going with the 12 month plan my self it's a big jump from the pay as you go and i'll be sending the invoices out on the 1st and $$$ is due by the 10th or a $10.00 late fee is imposed

thill i know this sounds like your plan but please understand i did not seal your idea it was Mr.Ed Krelling that posted an agreement and offered it up to anonre that could use it and i based mine off of that

mtdman
01-06-2004, 11:42 PM
For the pay as you go people, I bill at the end of the month for services performed during the month. For the people I invoice otherwise, it goes out the first of the month startin in May and going through November, due by the 15th.

littlenic
01-07-2004, 01:03 AM
Great web site. Very to the point and easy to understand. I also would like to use some (more than a little) of it in my area. It's very timely, I was writing a lot of the same items down for a door hanger I'm working on. I would really like to try to use parts of your outline and some of your text if you don't mind.

Thanks, littlenic:)

Mikes Lawn Landscape
01-07-2004, 06:48 AM
Hey TJ thats a great website can you tell us a little more about the traffic on your site. In other words are you getting new clients from it or is it more to inform your current clients whats going on.

mtdman
01-07-2004, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by Mikes Lawn Landscape
Hey TJ thats a great website can you tell us a little more about the traffic on your site. In other words are you getting new clients from it or is it more to inform your current clients whats going on.

Thanks. Mosly the site is there to keep my current customers informed. It's been up for 2 years now, and slowly I am getting more new customers off it. When I advertised in the fall for aeration and fall cleanup, I made sure to include the website url in the advertisements and quite a few people actually used the site to ask for estimates. Many of my current customers use the site to look for updates, and I make sure to mention it in all my communications with my customers. I did it myself, from scratch on notepad, as a project for one of my Internet Professional classes I took locally, so the cost was almost none. My goals when I built it was mainly for information's sake, I didn't make it interactive. I tried to make things as simple as possible so it was understandable, and in hopes that it would cut down on a lot of questions from customers and potentials, which I think it did. I have considered doing an online billing system, now that I've learned how to use MySQL and Cold Fusion, but I am uncertain that any of my customers would take advantage of it. I didn't get any responses for email billing last season.

Last summer, a former lawnsite member pretty much stole everything I had written/created for the site, down to the links which led back to my site. Word for word. I was pretty mad, after I spent all that time and effort creating it, and seeing how much of the stuff on the site also came from written fliers I had used for years. But he eventually took it all down and went away. I don't mind sharing with people, but I certainly won't let people steal all my hard work!

Expert Lawns
01-08-2004, 10:09 AM
mtd - i also like the site. wish i had one like it. thanks for the link on the service guide. it is exactly what i was looking to do. i may have to 'steal' a few lines from you too. i like yours; it is simple and readable. again, thanks for the input.

Expert Lawns
01-08-2004, 10:13 AM
do you have to have written consent from McDonald's to use the phrase "value meal"? kidding. i thought that was catchy

NCL
01-08-2004, 10:50 AM
Nice site, TJ. I have one question on your Premium Service Package, you include up to 6 cuts a month when you figure out their total cost for cutting for the season do you include these extra cuts in your price or do you just use the 4 or 5 cuts you would normally make for each month of the season.

mtdman
01-08-2004, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by NCL
Nice site, TJ. I have one question on your Premium Service Package, you include up to 6 cuts a month when you figure out their total cost for cutting for the season do you include these extra cuts in your price or do you just use the 4 or 5 cuts you would normally make for each month of the season.

In the Premium thingy, I figure the price based on 42 cuts for the season, over 7 months, which gives me the 6 cuts per month max. Very few people take me up on that, but as I said elsewhere, there are a few people I mow a couple times a week now and then. Anywho, as I said, most people don't use the extra cuts, so when I discount it, I end up getting paid for 26 cuts, which is the normal season length for me anyhow. Then I throw in the cost of the edging and cleanup, or whatever other services they want to include.

NCL
01-08-2004, 11:13 AM
Thanks TJ.