PDA

View Full Version : another question for the moderators

bobbygedd
01-06-2004, 09:09 PM
ok, before i get banned, i have a question. you know i've said it before, that i think teaching others how to operate the same business that you are operating, is like digging your own grave. of course, like everything else i say, everyone disagreed with me. i wondered if electricians, plumbers, mechanics, and so on share techniques and business strategies with others in thier field. i wonder if the kernel shared his secret recipe with roy rogers, and now i wonder this: recently there was another site similar to this one that opened up, i was invited but chose to remain faithful to lawnsite. i've also been told that other sites similar to this exsist. now my question. do the owners of lawnsite help, give guidence, show every step of the way to the owners of these other sites? is your mentality the same when "it hits home", or are things different? i know you said "you enjoy competition", but do you educate your competition? do u show them every single step, from starting day #1, and then answer any question they may have as they go along? i'm just curious. and kind of trying to make a point. if it's none of my business, just say so. but everyone was so quick to jump on me when i said we were only hurting ourselves by sharing too much info.

JB1
01-06-2004, 09:16 PM
GREAT QUESTION

Sean Adams
01-06-2004, 09:17 PM
bobby....why would someone be banned for asking a question like this?

The truth is, yes, owners of these sites do offer up help to oneanother. In fact, there are forums specifically designed for forum owners to speak to oneanother, exchange ideas, etc...

bobbygedd
01-06-2004, 09:21 PM
sean, i'm gonna miss you. yea i think i saw you guys the other night helping each other

chuckwk
01-06-2004, 09:26 PM
My step-dad is a plumbing business owner.... he always used to say there were more plumbers in Belton than you could shake a stick at.... Every day he would eat lunch at the same place and sit around a big table filled with his 'competition'.... On the occasion I was working with him I was hating the fact that I was sitting there being choked out by a thick fog of smoke, and praying I could get the poop smell out of my skin so I could get back to chasing tale as soon as possible.... so, I never paid attention to their conversations, etc.. but, I'm sure they could not resist talking about business..... since, their entire lives revolved around their company.

chuckwk
01-06-2004, 09:27 PM
bobbygedd.... this is mostly a case of 'ethics'

Gr grass n Hi tides
01-06-2004, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by bobbygedd
sean, i'm gonna miss you. yea i think i saw you guys the other night helping each other

You're gonna miss him? Who's going somewhere?

bobbygedd
01-06-2004, 09:30 PM
you guys are great. that's what i like, guys who can answer any question, and fast. i was given the same gift.

proenterprises
01-06-2004, 10:28 PM
that was an interesting point and i am glad it was brought up. it is very much related to the help which we give here day in and day out...just on a much higher level.

mower_babe
01-06-2004, 11:05 PM
Bobby, we all know what is bothering you. Now, before you get banned and we are all pissed off---go on vacation for a few days and relax without the computer because it is hard watching a beloved friend walk in front of a barreling train. STOP, please. Don't get banned, you are an important member here. Please.

Joel B.
01-06-2004, 11:16 PM
If you don't want to share advice, then don't. It's as simple as that.

greendave
01-07-2004, 10:09 AM
Yes Bobby, other industries do it, too. I own an automotive service center, and we are members of a worldwide network of automotive technicians called the i-ATN. (www.i-ATN.com) The purpose of the network is to share management and repair knowledge in the automotive industry, let technicians share and ask for tough repair and diagnostic information, and to enhance the professional and ethical image of the industry. Probably one of the best things to ever happen to us. Look at it this way - if I can raise the level of professionalism in just one nearby shop, won't it also raise my professional image, making me more valuable in my client's perception? Wouldn't it be great if all auto repair shops, LCO's, Plumbers, etc shared the same ethics and standards in their respective industries? The auto industry suffers from lowballers, hacks, and substandard operating methods just like the lawn care industry suffers from them.
The sharing and networking that goes on here at Lawnsite in the forums is VERY similar to that of lots of other industry forums. I am pleased to read the encouragement and advise that comes from the licensed, professional members to us newbies. For those of us who don't know what we need to know, who better to learn from than those professional enough to join and take the time to share in forums like these? This is one of the best ways that we can all raise the level of professionalism in this industry, just as we do in the automotive industry. And no, I can't see why you'd be banned out for challenging it. These are the very questions that bring about the voiced opinions that are so needed. This is mild compared to some of the - ah shall we say - 'lively' - threads I read on the i-ATN. Keep at it, you're doing fine...

bobbygedd
01-07-2004, 01:01 PM
ok, point made, so, other lines of work share knowledge and encouragement to their competitors. my last concern is, let's use the automotive repair feild since you used it . everyone, from every walk of life, wether they are proffesionals, or blue color, will come into the lawn care industry to "suppliment " thier income. it's fast, easy to start, and can turn an immediate profit. i don't know any in the lawn care business, who would open an automotive repair station to "suppliment" thier income. see what i'm saying? there is much more likelyhood of the lawn care industry becomming flooded, than there is of say the auto repair, plumbing, or electrical fields. that's all. not lookin to start a war. just making my point, AGAIN. btw, i've always helped anyone who has asked for help, as long as they pm me. later