PDA

View Full Version : question from a new guy

mbricker
01-07-2004, 04:21 AM
I'm new to online forums, been in the lawn care business 7 years.

I would like to hear from anyone who has done the business (mowing primarily) in more than one area of the country.

Are people a lot harder to please in some areas? Tighter with the money?

Are there areas where the legitimate businesses don't have much competition from part-timers who don't report their mowing income, or otherwise find ways to undercut us?

I'm seriously considering relocating and wonder if there is someplace I can move that I won't have to settle for $35 an hour gross--for what my customers say is very high quality work--because of the competition.

Thanks

TJLC
01-07-2004, 09:35 AM
IMHO, you might want to check Florida off your list. Lots of lowball competion, tightwad people. Welcome to Gods waiting room. LOL

walker-talker
01-07-2004, 10:28 AM
From the sounds of Bobby's posts, I would not move to NJ, unless you want to battle with clients that always want something for nothing and bicker over prices constantly.

workaholic
01-08-2004, 10:16 PM
It dosent matter where your from or where you go its all the same the key is education knowledge in what your doing and selling. Do above and beyond quality work treat your clients well and you will be rewarded with growth.

proenterprises
01-08-2004, 10:21 PM
your only grossing $35.00 an our:eek: :eek: :eek:

i would try and relocate and hike tha figure up if you can.

bobbygedd
01-08-2004, 10:23 PM
hold it, hold it. yes, there"s some bickering, and alot of people wanting something for nothing(don't we all?) , and combined with bad attitudes, it can get stressful, or....keep your life interesting. i enjoy it. my wife says if i didn't have something to b!tch about, i wouldn't be happy. all in all, nj is ok, the money flows here, and that is good, as long as you don't let the customers eat you up(and, watch for that frog) you can make nice cash and keep your life interesting.

quiet
01-08-2004, 10:33 PM
I remember one time my dad called a guy "a real 10 percent-er".

The guy said, "Whaddya mean?"

My dad said, "90% of the people you meet in this world are good people. Fair, honest. But you, you're a real 10 percent-er"

I think it's that way every where you go.

BigEd
01-09-2004, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by quiet
I remember one time my dad called a guy "a real 10 percent-er".

The guy said, "Whaddya mean?"

My dad said, "90% of the people you meet in this world are good people. Fair, honest. But you, you're a real 10 percent-er"

I think it's that way every where you go.

I love it!!I am going to love using that one!!:cool2: