PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use a Bluebird pull-behind dethatcher?

walker-talker
01-07-2004, 05:08 PM
I have the walk-behind unit, but now I am interested in the pull-behind unit. Has anyone used this unit. I doubt that it compares to the walk-behind due to one has wide flails and the other uses spring tines.

Thank you
Matt

Cutters Lawn Care
01-07-2004, 07:34 PM
I use a tow behind. It is not a bluebird though. It has spring tines and works great. Customers are amazed when they see all the thatch that it pulls up. I've even had neighbors come watch us and asked what we were doing and asked if we could dethatch their yards also.

xcopterdoc
01-07-2004, 07:44 PM
Hey Cutter... whats the cost on up keep of one of these units?? How many hours run time do you get before the tines wear out??

Cutters Lawn Care
01-07-2004, 07:53 PM
I just got it last year and haven't had to invest in maintenance yet. I bought a commercial one from a website that I can't remember. Mine has 6 wheels with a total of about 36 tines per wheel. The wheels are offset so they turn in opposet directions bringing all the thatch to the middle of the dethatcher. I think I paid about $700 for it. If you want website addy let me know and i'll find it for you.

walker-talker
01-07-2004, 10:33 PM
I would like to know also....the Bluebird model has been the only one I have seen. I know it runs right around $1500. Thanks for the info.

walker-talker
01-08-2004, 11:47 AM
^

Cutters Lawn Care
01-08-2004, 06:46 PM
estateyardcare.com

BCM
01-08-2004, 08:30 PM
what do you guys normally charge to dethatch a yard? do you go by how many sq feet or how long it will take you? i'm thinking about getting in to it but , I don't know if it's worth all the work

thanks

Cutters Lawn Care
01-09-2004, 08:19 AM
If i'm charging $50 to cut the lawn I'll charge $100 to dethatch it. First you have to dethatch then when finished go back and bag all the thatch you have brought to surface. It is time consuming but very profitable also. My biggest problem is that only 6 of my customers understand why it's done and the rest real ly don't care to have it done.

walker-talker
01-09-2004, 08:37 AM
For fescue lawn I charge about 3.5 times what it cost to cut a lawn. I don't do any of my current mowing clients, but get a lot of "one time" calls on the service. Dethatching warm season grasses is more expensive because there is more to collect.

TotalCareSolutions
01-09-2004, 10:37 AM
De-Thatch fescue lawns? I would'nt think Fescue lawns really allow for very much De-Thatching. Does it do more cleaning and culling the lawn, than actual de-Thatch? Are you using this to aerate? Kinduv tear the soil and then overseed after?

Down here the little thatch that may develop on a fescue yard would probably help the fescue more than hurt it by insulating the topsoil from dehydration in extreme heat, in my .02. Fescue grasses, when cut properly tend to decompose much quicker than the finer, coarse runner grasses. We have to be careful because we mulch and this is why the 1/3 rule can be important. get to know the growth patterns of your lawns. Every three or four years maybe.

The runner grasses tend to develop this excess thatch. This is why so many want their warm grasses scalped, the old stems and plants that are there can lend to a thatch problem. After edging is a good time to look closely at the thickness of thatch on some of the yards. Every other year, let the slashing begin...

Five Diamond Lawns
01-09-2004, 11:24 AM
In the NothWest de-thatching's a big job and unless you are young and have a strong back steer clear of it.

We offer de-thatching and do quit a bit of it each season, but try to aerate instead any chance we can. Would rather aerate once a month for a season than de-thatch. Less damage to the lawn.

We get $200 plus to do a lawn about 7000 sq ft. Though It all depends on the thatch problem. I would never bid thatching by the sq ft only by the estimated hour. I have seen 5000 sq ft lawns give up 30 bags of thatch and 10000 sq ft lawns give up 1/2 that.

In my case I run the de-thatcher and my employees rake and mow up the thatch. A lot of times I'll get 2 or 3 jobs going at once. Seem to work good though I get a lot of sick calls the next day.

Need to be careful running the de-thatcher. Many times the lines are visible all season.