PDA

View Full Version : Missplaced, lost tools

2 Black Thumbs
01-07-2004, 09:08 PM
What do you people do with employees that loose tools(hand-tools)
Do you charge them for the lost items or take it on the chin Just wondering because if they break it I understand but if they loose it, I hold them acountable for the item. Your input is apreciated.

LB Landscaping
01-07-2004, 09:14 PM
Depends on whether or not it's a habit. If they do it alot they pay, if it is a rare occurance I'll take care of it, I chalk it up as the cost of doing business.

promower
01-07-2004, 09:20 PM
With my last employer he gave us a set of the everyday tools like hand pruners, small saws etc... and they had a number on them and we were resposible for them during the season. Also each truck had a tool kit which the crew was responsible for. Worked good for him, and when we knew we had to replace for lost tools it was a rare occasion anything got misplaced.

Avery
01-07-2004, 09:51 PM
Not really a problem. The foremen are responsible for making sure all tools are accounted for.

bastalker
01-07-2004, 10:05 PM
If any of my crew was losin an breakin stuff, they would be lookin for a different way to pay the rent.

I would explain once that I payed pretty good money for this stuff, and if yer gonna mistreat it then, ya got 2 choices. Pay for it, or I'll take it out yer pay.........

proenterprises
01-07-2004, 11:13 PM
if it is an occasional misplaced tool--then i would just let it slide. even the best of the best employees can slip up at times and lose focus and maybe forget a tool here nd their.

i wouldnt take out a good guy for a once in a while thing-if it is a habit-than they will learn, they will learn by paying for it.

Kevin M.
01-08-2004, 05:00 PM
You cannot make the employees pay for tools that break, get stolen, or are lost. You wont have any employees if you make them pay for the tools as they will take THERE tools and do there own thing.

TreffertLawnWrx
01-08-2004, 06:38 PM
I usually kick my own arse. IM assume responsibliliy for everything because I own everything. I try not to pawn off to much blame on anyone else. I really dont get mad either! Not gonna do me any good pissing and moaning, If its gone its gone. Get a new one. :)

tx_angler
01-08-2004, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by Kevin M.
You cannot make the employees pay for tools that break, get stolen, or are lost. You wont have any employees if you make them pay for the tools as they will take THERE tools and do there own thing.

So if my guy my crew comes in missing a Scag Tiger Cub, I shouldn't worry about it? You got any openings?

paponte
01-08-2004, 09:19 PM
The first time I may let it slide. If it is a constant problem, yes they will pay for it. Forget about hand tools, I have guys buying power tools all the time. :cool:

GrassBustersLawn
01-08-2004, 09:41 PM
I have a FORM made up with a list of all possible tools they will need for the day. It is checked with what they will need for the day. They take those tools with them and the list. They have to check it off at the end of the day when they return, so they have all they went out with. Broken in "normal use" of work I don't charge them, if they lose it I take it out of their check. They usually don't lose anymore after the first time.

Mike