PDA

View Full Version : Steep Hills, Whats best?

John B Laidlaw
01-08-2004, 12:11 PM
I'm in the market for a mower, preferablly 36", that is good for hillsides. I've checked the threads pertaining to mowers but have not found any discussions on this particular area except about the flymo. Due to various factors, the flymo will have to be my last choice if there is nothing better. I like to see opinions on mowing steep hillsides and hills in general. What works best? Traction? Safety? Quality of cut? Maneuverability(sp)? Mulching/bagging? and Leaf removal?
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated and in advance thanks for all your input:waving:
John

Barkleymut
01-08-2004, 01:21 PM
Most hydro walkbehinds will serve you pretty well on steep hills. I have a Lesco 48" hydro that will really hold a hill, unless it is wet. Forget a Z or a belt drive on a really steep hill.

I have never used one but the Ferris hydro's appear to have the widest stance, therefore I would guess they would hold hills better than others.

I would get a demo on any machine that you are considering to make sure it will work well for your application.

Hope you don't have to use a push mower:(

TURF DOCTOR
01-08-2004, 01:38 PM
Beware of any ztr on a hill.That's where the walkbehinds rule.

John B Laidlaw
01-08-2004, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by Barkleymut
Most hydro walkbehinds will serve you pretty well on steep hills. I have a Lesco 48" hydro that will really hold a hill, unless it is wet. Forget a Z or a belt drive on a really steep hill.

I have never used one but the Ferris hydro's appear to have the widest stance, therefore I would guess they would hold hills better than others.

I would get a demo on any machine that you are considering to make sure it will work well for your application.

Hope you don't have to use a push mower:(

Yea we are using a push mower now... thats the reason we are in the market. Damned if we go another year this way:dizzy:
John

Mark P
01-08-2004, 01:52 PM
:) Amen Turf Docter......Marks Mowing Service

CHAN
01-08-2004, 02:01 PM
My Scag Turf Tigers work realy well on hillsides and some are real steep. They have a low center of gravity. This is only my opinion will try and get some pictures of the slopes that we cut.

WESLEY BROWN
01-08-2004, 02:02 PM
Steiners all the way baby. you have to get a 48" or 60", but hills and traction problems solved http://www.steinerturf.com/ . good cut and a awesome stipping machine.:gunsfirin :gunsfirin

adbradley
01-08-2004, 03:03 PM
I have good results with my JD riders (GT235, 335) with ag tires on the back. Little or no turf damage and they don't do bad when it's wet either...

olderthandirt
01-08-2004, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by WESLEY BROWN
Steiners all the way baby. you have to get a 48" or 60", but hills and traction problems solved http://www.steinerturf.com/ . good cut and a awesome stipping machine.:gunsfirin :gunsfirin

Ditto 100% Steiner 230 holds a side hill thats hard to walk on.

Mac

John B Laidlaw
01-08-2004, 03:34 PM
Thanks so far to all:blob3: Pics and more suggestions would be great! Budget is not yet set but probaly close to $2000 able to spend!
John:waving:

TheKingNJ
01-08-2004, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by WESLEY BROWN
You guys really like the steiners? we have two on our golf course a 230 and a 220 they have cool attachments but I had never had a good time with them on a hill. Every week i blow off the tee banks with them and they aren’t too bad on the tee banks but when we mow this one really steep rough it is such a pain I haven't but out guys had slipped and spun them down the hill. One guy did it off a tee bank and went down another hill about 50 yards into the woods hitting trees and such. And when our steiners go they spin because the deck is so far out front the weight in no distributed evenly.

They are cool machines and have a lot of cool attachments but I haven’t had luck with it on the hills. We started using a 48” Bobcat on the steeper hills. So I like the walk behinds myself. I like the rear wheel steering on them, good maneuverability for that kind of machine.

KerryB
01-08-2004, 03:39 PM
How steep is the hill? You cant mow uphill vertically with the Z and then back down?

WESLEY BROWN
01-08-2004, 03:49 PM
The Steiner 430 with ATV will climb anything a ATV will. TheKingNJ your 220 and 230 Steiners must not have Hydraulic pressure which keep a constant pressure on the front wheels and not enough weight with the blowers. You need the 430 or 525. For $2000.00 the only thing that I know of would be a used Hydro Walk behind or lawn tractor and then the lawn tractor will spin out unless it has enough weight. :waving:

John B Laidlaw
01-08-2004, 03:52 PM
Steepness is anywhere between 2-5% grades and then some a bit steeper like around 8-11%
J

Sam-Ohio
01-09-2004, 11:40 PM
If you aren't able to get a Steiner 220 or 230 to hold on a steep hillside, you guys must not be using the hydraulic weight transfer !

If you look on the right side of the dashboard there is a pressure guage - Hit the hyd lever and pump up about 450 to 500 lbs. pressure in the weight transfer system and lock it in. Also, the little black pedal in the left floorboard is to control the differential lock - step on it when transversing a sharp incline. This will nail your traction wheels to the turf. The 230 Steiner will go on a steeper hillside than the 4 wheel drive 430 can do.

I don't believe there is a riding mower made that is better on hills than a 230 Steiner. You guys must not know how to use all the traction features on your Steiners or maybe you have bald slicks for tires.

Avery
01-09-2004, 11:47 PM
I don't believe there is a riding mower made that is better on hills than a 230 Steiner.

This one is WAY better on hills!:D

J.Gordon
01-10-2004, 01:41 AM
Until you said about $2,000 I was going to say the Hustler Super walk-behind.My 25/54-swb tires are about 48’’ from outer edge to outer edge. Give or take a little. And it will hold a hill great! This machine has been money well spent in my books. And a BullRider is a must! Unless you want to be dragged up the hill.
Here is a link to see it . I wouldn’t say it was the best but for the money it pretty darn good.
http://www.hustlerturfequipment.com/index.php?page=superwb

:waving:

Aleman
01-10-2004, 08:48 AM
I think some of you would be suprised at some of the hills we can do on the Wright standers. Very versitile....

turfmower
01-10-2004, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by Avery
This one is WAY better on hills!:D

I had a one on a demo I had 18 acres of retention ponds to cut back in 89. But the ground was too soft and it slid. I had to pull it out with my F 2000. we ended up cutting it with the Kubota and bobcats walkbehind.

burnandreturn
01-10-2004, 11:44 AM
I have a Kut Kwick mower specifically built for up to 45 degree slopes! They run a little more than $2000!

WESLEY BROWN
01-10-2004, 12:09 PM
Probably more than that unless you get a used one. http:///www.kutkwick.com There neat, but I don't know about the price. You can't get a good walkbehind belt drive for less than 2150.00 new.

J.Gordon
01-10-2004, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by burnandreturn
I have a Kut Kwick mower specifically built for up to 45 degree slopes! They run a little more than $2000!

could you post a pic or link for one of those?:waving: