PDA

View Full Version : Rolling Billboard

ztrguy
01-09-2004, 12:47 AM
I have a question for all of the people going with the Isuzu Cabover style for their lawn service.

Lets say I get rid of the Truck & Trailer combo and I switch to the Cabover for my lawn service. It will be with the enclosed box. After doing so I add the vehicle signage and use the enclosed box as a "Rolling Billboard Advertisement." The town that I live in has a population of less than 30,000.

What I want to know is: Will this be worth it for such a small town? No one around here has anything like this setup. I feel that if I do this I will get lots of looks and hopefully this will get more calls. I think I can pull it off and get some business rolling in after a month or so of being seen around town. I'm hoping more people will look at the business as being more professional and successful which in turn will give the potential customers more confidence on giving us a call. I'm not sure if this setup is just for the bigger cities. I'm hoping it will work here in a smaller town like it does in the bigger cities with lots of people seeing the Advertisement.

As opposed to door hangers/flyers/postcards/direct mailing/etc....this way of advertisement will always be present. It won't be money down the drain so to speak. It will always use it's purpose of advertising not (junk mail) and thrown in the trash like flyers tend to be.

Comments greatly appreciated on this issue.

Thanks!

Team Gopher
01-09-2004, 09:21 AM
I think it's a great idea. It sounds like your truck will get lots of attention!

Cutters Lawn Care
01-09-2004, 09:28 AM
I have almost the same setup you are wanting to do. I have a Mitsubishi Fuso cabover with a 15' box. Our company logo is maroon and a khaki color. I had the cab painted maroon and the box painted khaki. We have cutters in green outlined in black on the box professional lawn care and the phone number in maroon. It looks so good. I Have had this setup since about september and have got so many good responses. My town is only about 25,000. It cost me $750 to have it lettered but big deal. It cost about a $1000 to have it painted but I plan on having a few more trucks going and they are all gonna be painted the same. There are 2 other companies in my town that have box trucks and they are both white just lettered up. Everyone says mine looks much more professional. Be sure on your ramp and dovetail you have some raised expaned metal this will give you much better traction when the ramp is wet.

DUSTYCEDAR
01-09-2004, 09:51 AM
i would do it but i would use signs that could be removed so u can change the seasonal add
leaves, snow, aeration and such this way u can get more bang 4 the buck

johnbast3
01-09-2004, 10:26 AM
I think an enclosed trailer is just as good,that way you are not dedicating an expensive truck for just one use..JB

mowinmoney
01-09-2004, 10:33 AM
The professional look will set you apart. Are you trying to create the same image across the board ie. uniforms, clean equip, etc.

cantoo
01-09-2004, 08:32 PM
We have an older cube van but it looks good. About Can$4000 invested in it including the logo. We want to get a newer diesel one to cut down on the fuel costs. We have gotten a few jobs from people seeing it but not really that many. We always try to ask people how they heard of us. Most are from referrals and they are the easiest to close on.

GTLC
01-09-2004, 08:40 PM
Get an International or some American truck. Why? Because after talking to my uncle who is the president of Land Air Express trucking, in Vermont, which has 10 terminals in New England and New York, and has over 200 trucks, he says it is a mistake to buy a Japanese truck such as an Isuzu NPR. The japanese trucks are built too light duty I guess, and his NPR's wore out pretty quick. They use International, Mack, Peterbuilt and Ford now, mostly International.

Just my 2 cents

proenterprises
01-09-2004, 08:41 PM
i think that the rolling billboard is an outstanding idea. it will really turn heads when people see your truck and trailer driving by. also-take the advice that another said and make it so you are able to change your advertisments as the seasons change.

GTLC
01-09-2004, 10:01 PM
Here is the real truck:

capt.craig
01-09-2004, 10:32 PM
any pictures cutters lawn care?

grass_cuttin_fool
01-11-2004, 01:29 AM
I really like the idea of the cab over truck, any where you go and everyday you go , you are advertising, like some one said a flyer or door hanger it is gone when it is put in the trash but the addy on the truck is there every day in public.Even though you still might want to advertise in new neighbor hoods that you dont service. The only thing i dont like about the enclosed trailer is the lenth of the truck and trailer, where i mow alot some drive ways are very small, but with the cab over truck you will have to watch the height also, maybe dragging trees in customers drive ways guess there are pro's and con's to everything

KirbysLawn
01-11-2004, 11:06 AM
Depends on how much business you need. I have got several accounts from my trailer, just make sure a professional job is done.

http://unionturf.com/rays/Picture%201085.jpg

GTLC
01-11-2004, 02:57 PM
that is a great looking trailer, Kirbyslawn.

JeffY
01-11-2004, 04:17 PM
We have one Izuzi box van and 2 Ford Box vans. The Izuzi and the 450 Ford Truck are our Maintaince trucks, and the 550 is our main fertalizer truck as it hold 2 300 gallon tanks and a full pallet of fertalizer. The Ford trucks are also 4x4, so we use them in the winter for snow removal. One of the trucks holds a lazer with a cab and broom/blower attachment on it. The other holds snowblowers and pallets of salt. We're the only company in Omaha that uses these trucks and it gets plenty of attention. I'll post pictures soon.\

Victor
01-11-2004, 05:31 PM
I think you'll get good responses from doing so. Even in a smaller town, you'll just stand out that much more.

The idea of using an International, or Peterbuilt cab-over is a bad idea. They don't have near the turning radius that an Isuzu, or Mitsi has. They also are too big for what you'd use them for. Those are trucks that you'd put a 24 foot box on. A 16 foot, or smaller box is a waste on them. As far as reliabilty goes. That's rediculous. The Isuzus, and Mitsis might not have million mile engines in them like a cab-over Pete, or international, but they are 4k to 5k mile engines if taken care of. I'd ignore that advice like the plague ZTR Guy.

Vic

GTLC
01-11-2004, 05:44 PM
There are a variety of different size and series to choose from International. I believe the 4300 is much smaller designed for a small box like a 16 foot.

GTLC
01-11-2004, 06:00 PM
So what, you lose a little bit of a turning radius. they are just more reliable.

Runner
01-13-2004, 12:04 AM
Take Ray Kirby's advice, and have them professionally done. You may re-do the sign a few times over, due to wear, but you will only design it once. Make sure that it is not only easy to read, and I don't just mean big letters, but with the right styles as well. The MAIN thing is, is to make sure that it is PLEASING TO THE EYE. In other words, attractive. Make people WANT to look at it, and enjoy it,... even if just for a moment. These are all components of professional marketing. The reason? Because EXPOSURE is what you are going to rely on in this case. If you are in a small town,... this is how it is going to work for you. It's not going to be a matter of "Hey, look at that ad, let's call".
What it is going to be, is an ongoing "process" that will take time, but will be sure. Over time, people will keep seeing this image, and these words (whatever you use). This will build and build, and grow stronger in their subconcience, and eventually, that potential for future calls is much greater.
Take McDonalds for instance. They do NOT have the most eye-appealing logo around, but they sure sell alot, because they are such a "comon-name", or in other words, a familiararity. You see that logo repeatedly and eventually, it appeals to you at some point or the other. Advertising, like television has the same effect. Ads that are run repeatedly, though sometimes a nuisance, are more effective than ads you just see once in awhile.
So, back to the appealing thing. By having colors that are pleasing to the eye, yet attractive (like bright colors yellow & green for instance), you are having more people look again and again at something they KNOW they've seen before, yet they still want to look again. Also, if you are going to go with any pictures,.... gear them to exactly where you are marketing. A nice, hometown. In other words, keep the feeling "close too home". SUNSHINE is ALWAYS good, because it makes people feel good. Even if it's just a picture, it's the connotation and subconcious feelings that it manifests. It can even improve people's moods, because they associate that with the REAL feeling they get from sunshine, which scientifically releases a hormone called seritonin which helps our good and happy moods.
Take for instance, if you want to convey a message of happiness, family, fun on the lawn, and even safety. Look at what Tru-green did with teir trucks. They have the pictures of the kids out on a sunny day, playing on the lawn. Other trucks have pictures of "Sparky", the pet dog.
All of these images are designed and displayed to convey the message of how safe it is to be on the lawn, and how much fun it is on this nice lush lawn, as we as a happy family play together.
THESE are the kind of messages that YOU need to be sending to your town and community, and back that up with quality, reliable service, and you have a combination that will take you places that will show significant growth and prosperity. I certainly hope this helps, and good luck with your endeavors. Please show us a pic when you prepare to have this all done.

Ol Dull Blade
02-06-2004, 03:45 AM
i was wonderin what a new npr diesel would cost?..with a 16ft. BOx ...and what would the 16ft..open landscape truck would cost..just a plain truck ?..not too many options?..maybe someday i will save enough to own one!!..:)

DennisF
02-06-2004, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by Victor
I think you'll get good responses from doing so. Even in a smaller town, you'll just stand out that much more.

The idea of using an International, or Peterbuilt cab-over is a bad idea. They don't have near the turning radius that an Isuzu, or Mitsi has. They also are too big for what you'd use them for. Those are trucks that you'd put a 24 foot box on. A 16 foot, or smaller box is a waste on them. As far as reliabilty goes. That's rediculous. The Isuzus, and Mitsis might not have million mile engines in them like a cab-over Pete, or international, but they are 4k to 5k mile engines if taken care of. I'd ignore that advice like the plague ZTR Guy.

Vic

If your going to mow lawns in Japan buy a Japanese truck. Otherwise buy American.

gogetter
02-06-2004, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by JeffY
. I'll post pictures soon.\

Jeff, looking forward to seeing those photos when you get a chance. Sounds like a nice set up.

Tony Clifton
02-06-2004, 10:26 AM
If your going to mow lawns in Japan buy a Japanese truck. Otherwise buy American.

??? Dennis F. You are aware of the fact that the Isuzus are built by Chevrolet aren't you?

cush
02-06-2004, 12:42 PM
Go for it, will be money well spent IMO. Image is KING!

Norm Al
02-06-2004, 02:24 PM
the cab overs are the best advertising you can get for the money! I know some guys here in florida that buy them and park them in places for advertising!

LawnPerfect
02-06-2004, 03:14 PM
I thought that Isuzu built them for Chevy?