PDA

View Full Version : New Member - Walker Mowers

Kelly & Sons
01-09-2004, 11:40 AM
Hello, I am new to this website, but have been in the business for over 8 years. I already own several Lesco mowers, and I am looking to buy a Walker Mower. Can anyone give me any input on these? Also, if anyone knows the best place (maybe online) to purchase one. Thanks in advance for any advice.... Chris.

Avery
01-09-2004, 01:40 PM
So a search. Lots of discussion about Walkers lately. Wish we were closer. I would make you a great deal on one! :)

Craig T
01-09-2004, 03:26 PM
I've been looking also. Haven't had any luck yet on a decent used one. Maybe its still to early, may see more for sale in March.

General Grounds
01-09-2004, 05:32 PM
:blob3: kelly & son, just follow the maintenance and keep it well greased and should be trouble free i have a 42" with the 20hp kohler and it does a great job, the machine has 5400 hours on it and i replaced the engine and some small stuff but other than that very trouble free. good luck tony

Westbrooklawn
01-09-2004, 05:35 PM
What General Grounds said.......preventative maintenance is critical.....the cut is fantastic.

Avery......I'm not all that far from you......I'd be interested on a great deal on a used Walker.......e-mail me with a "great price".

chris08087
01-09-2004, 06:31 PM
Walkers supposedly give an excellent cut, and also have one of the best grass collection systems out there. They also have many attachments such as a snowblower, aerator, and street broom, to name a few.

These are the main reasons why I purchased a walker. I have a 24 acre retirement community where I need to collect all of the clippings, and in the winter I have to clear all of the sidewalks. the snowblower is the perfect width (42") to clear the 48" sidewalks.

There are a few downsides to the walkers that I thought that I should mention. First, they are slow as he11. The top speed is somewhere between 2.5 and 5 miles per hour. Not even close to lesco mowers. This might not be an issue, depending on what your planning on using the walker for. They do make pulley kits, but my dealer told me that they are no good because they tear up belts and lead to future problems. Also, they supposedly clog easily when the grass is wet. I have not encountered this, but I just purchased the machine in November and I wasn't the one running it. They also require high maintenance. I know every mower requires mainteneance, but you have to grease these every day or stuff will start to break.

They are good mowers, but I would not get another one simply because they are slow. To tell you the truth, the main reason I got mine is because of the snowblower attachment.

FYI, I got the 20HP diesel model, and it's been very good to me so far.

Avery
01-09-2004, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by Westbrooklawn
What General Grounds said.......preventative maintenance is critical.....the cut is fantastic.

Avery......I'm not all that far from you......I'd be interested on a great deal on a used Walker.......e-mail me with a "great price".

Check your PM's. ;)

turf9
01-09-2004, 07:47 PM
Don't Know how i got along without him, best employee Ive ever had

bayfish
01-09-2004, 08:29 PM
The Walker is the most controversial mower on this site...RRRRRRUUUUUUNNNNNN from it. I've read so many bad things about it ,that's enough for me.

Fantasy Lawns
01-09-2004, 08:37 PM
Thats BS .. I own 4 of em the oldest a 97 20 hp with 2600 hrs to a 2002 26 efi with almost 1000 hours & I own a Lazer Z, Snapper 36 Hyrdo's (for the real small gates)

Orange Park Area is real nice .... from small compact to larger spread out lots ..... both with lots of obstacles n trees where the out front deck really comes thru .... mulching St. Aug it the only way ....unless you have large open areas where a SD Lazer comes into play

grillonz
01-09-2004, 11:21 PM
Walker mowers are good only in the right application. However if you push the limits they WILL give trouble.
If you need to catch and can't find any other option then buy one, otherwise steer well clear. I have worked for a contractor that had 2 of them. Over 1 summer both blew motors due to overheating (too much dust stirred up with the side discharge deck), and one hydro pump died. Very expensive.

Currier
01-09-2004, 11:24 PM
"The Walker is the most controversial mower on this site...RRRRRRUUUUUUNNNNNN from it. I've read so many bad things about it ,that's enough for me."

Sure as heck wish I could get my competition to believe that!! I have run Walkers for the last 6 years and will continue. In fact I'm hoping to add another real soon...

LJS lawn
01-09-2004, 11:32 PM
i just sold my 93 diesel Walker -it had over 2000 hours and ran perfect.i could't killl the little Kubota engine.go to Walkers website and read about them.if you need to bag then this is THE mower for doing it.if you're looking at a front deck mower i'd also look at a Grasshopper.

zero_turn_mowers
01-10-2004, 12:52 AM
Got a 2002 26EFI 48GHS 200 hours, comfort seat, lights, low profile tires, power dump hopper, real nice condition looks new, been ran by me only, never a problem. I will sell it for $8500.00

Tim
870-762-6313

walker-talker
01-10-2004, 05:59 AM
Tim...I am not interested in your mower, but how much did that power dump option cost and how fast does it work? Can you get off the mower and dump faster than what it takes to cycle the power dump?

Tonyr
01-10-2004, 06:13 AM
walker-talker

Off memory I think mine used to take about 4 secs up, a few secs to unload, and 4 secs down. I haven't used this machine for 3 or 4 months so I could be way out, but if my poor memory serves me correct this is a rough guide.

I had a bin on the front of my enclosed trailer that I would rverse up to and dump into, the whole process is smooth and quite quick, no getting off or anything, I loved this feature! The Allseasons high lift I found very good, after using this system going back to manually dumping a catcher is a real pain.

But the raised position of the catcher with high lift installed does mess with centre of gravity as I mentioned in another thread.

My view on the high lift is a definate thumbs up! :)

BTW, I had the 9 busshell catcher and this proved no worries, the high lift is a mighty thing, I love it.

walker-talker
01-10-2004, 06:23 AM
Did you get your high lift through your dealer and did they install it? Around here they cost $3K, not sure if I can justify that much. I normally don't collect grass, but do in the spring and fall and have a dedicated truck with a leaf loader mounted on it go load the clippings.

MOW ED
01-10-2004, 08:49 AM
I have to reply to all Walker related threads.

Kelly and Sons, welcome to Lawnsite. This is by far the most extensive catalog of opinions on lawn care in the WORLD. Since you have been in business for 8 years, you obviously are over the hump. So you are interested in the Walker, possibly a good choice for you.
I own a Walker and will be the first to say that I love it. It has made me lots of money. I will also tell you that they are not for every company. My operation thrives with the Walker but I do not have to do production mowing. I do mostly residential and some small commercial. The Walkers bagging capability is used mostly in the spring for my operation when I dethatch (spring tine rake) lawns and have to pick up the debris. The rest of the year I use the 52 side discharge deck. In the fall I mulch leaves with the 52 and pick up with the bagger in some instances. Could I use a Lazer, you bet. But economics dictate that I buy one mower and do the most with it.
I have been in business going on 9 years with 25 weekly customers.
The Walker has a unique cut with its GHS decks as the blades counter rotate. The wheel placement gives a unique striping effect that is a trademark of Walker.
I have a 2000 26EFI machine that is basically a great mower. I have over 1000 hours on the efi with no problems.
Much has been said about maintenance. In my opinion I find that I grease it once every week or two and change oil and filter at 100 hours unless dusty. At the end of the season I change all belts and fluids. That is usually a 3 hour job. Maintenance concerns are a subjective area. I don't find it bad at all.
The speed up kit is essential. I read above that a dealer said that the speed up kit chews belts. Once again, I have one and I did not chew one belt this season.
There are some things a Walker is not. It is not a balls out production mower even with the 71 inch deck on it. The top speed with the kit is 6.5MPH. That is unloaded. Add a heavy deck and you are back in the 5-5.5 range. If you have to do lots of open areas a Walker will work but it won't beat a Lazer or the like.
So that was a shortened version of something I could write many pages on. I would be glad to answer any questions by e-mail.

My last piece of advise is the most important. DEMO the machine. Call a dealer or factory rep and get a machine for the day or week if possible. Put it thru all the paces. A Walker takes a little finesse to operate but once you get it it is a piece of cake. Make sure its what you can use. Any mower will cut grass, you can get a 21" Murray to cut your lawns, but does it make you money. I can't tell you its right or wrong for your business but thats why you are here. Welcome aboard, Good Luck.

Kelly & Sons
01-10-2004, 11:05 AM
Thanks for everyone's input... I have about 25 residentials customers right now... as someone said earlier, Orange Park is a nice area... I actually work on the Fleming Island portion of Orange park, and most of my home are $350k & up... so the quality of cut is a big plus for me. I contacted a dealer and he is going to bring me one to demo for a day... I will let you know how it goes... as far as maintenance concerns... I am pretty meticulate about keeping PM up so hopefully it won't be a problem. Thanks again for all the advice... and I look forward to talking with you all!

Currier
01-10-2004, 12:51 PM
If I was a little closer locale I would give some serious consideration to Tim's machine. It is a good price with lots of costly options. I would love to add that to the trailer.

zero_turn_mowers
01-10-2004, 02:39 PM
Here is a picture of it of course it is the one with the lights, Walker-Talker it takes less time with the power dump than to get off and manually dump the hopper, you can start the raising the hopper before you actually get to where you want to dump it and the once you dump you can take off and lower the hopper while riding you will be at the dump scene maybe 3-4 seconds and that is if the hopper is packed and you have to give it a jingle or two, cost was about $1000.00 for just the power dump, total cost of this mower was over $12000.00, anyone interested I will ship cost around $500.00 to ship using Forward Air.

Tim

Tonyr
01-10-2004, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by walker-talker
Did you get your high lift through your dealer and did they install it? Around here they cost $3K, not sure if I can justify that much. I normally don't collect grass, but do in the spring and fall and have a dedicated truck with a leaf loader mounted on it go load the clippings.

======

Dealer installed the highlift before I purchased the mower.

They are worth around $7000 down here! ouch!

I collected grass at every job so the highlift was a part of the total opperation, but if you only collect occasionally I think the investment would be hard to justify.

I much prefer to mulch than catch anyday, one reason I phased out the Walker for the Toro.

MikeLT1Z28
01-10-2004, 07:27 PM
well, the mowers have their pro's and con's. first, they are very bumpy, raptor's new one looks like it has a new seat design so maybe they addressed that issue. 2nd, slow as can be as mentioned. you can add a pulley off a newer one to speed up the old ones, but on my old one, it made the controls much more sensative. 3rd, hills. that's all i'll say about them, don't go across a hill! 4th, all 30-some odd grease zerks and lube points. 5th, if you are cutting a yard that isn't weed free, prepare to slow down more or double cut, last spring here was a biatch with mine. 6th, cut height adjustment and forward motion control. the height hitch pins get banged up with the out front deck banging up and down all day, makes for busted knuckles when the pins get hard to take out. that speed control thing is like a cruise control, but can be irritating at times.

now as far as being reliable, it was mentioned it depends on how hard you push them. this applies to all mowers though, walker is just on the lower end of the commercial spectrum when it comes to durability.

if you are going to cut smaller residential properties or commericials, the GHS system is great unless it's wet. you can drop the deck down to one inch and suck the concrete clean if everything works right.

all in all, if you haven't used one, go demo one first. i'd demo some others while i was at it.

fwiw my kohler never gave me any trouble nor did the hydro's.

zero_turn_mowers
01-10-2004, 11:58 PM
Mike I am from Osceola just across the river, been in Little Rock for the last 8 months.

Tim

MikeLT1Z28
01-11-2004, 03:20 PM
did you have a walker on ebay a few months ago or in the commercial appeal? want to say i remember one from that area being for sale. i know that area pretty well, one of my mom's long time friends lives just south of osceola in Keiser.

s&wlawncare
01-11-2004, 05:24 PM
i saw those that mower on ebay

Kelly & Sons
01-11-2004, 08:57 PM
Does it come with both decks?
I sent you some PMs

image1
01-11-2004, 10:59 PM
I have run Walkers for 9 years never had any major problems. I have a 99 with a 1000 hours runs great. I have replaced one blower housing due to sandy and dusty conditions. I will buy a new one in march