PDA

View Full Version : might have to leave the industry

lawnchopper
01-09-2004, 01:17 PM
after about 10 yrs in the lawn industry Im worried about having to get out. I live in central Mn and Im having a very hard time making $$ since its so seasonal I get very little unemployment in the winter. It doesnt snow much anymore to do snowremoval , moderate wage and no benifits. I work for a company so you dont make as much and there's alot of competion here to start my own in this town.
I really would like to stay doing what im doing cause its what i like and do best.
anyone have any thoughts about addional income and what I could maybe do to stay in the industry:(

twins_lawn_care
01-09-2004, 02:41 PM
Hopefully things turn around for you.
What I would try to concentrate on is just doing the lawn care. This would free up a lot of winter time to concentrate on something totally different for you to help get some more income. Maybe start a small business making things if you are handy. But something to take a little pressure off of making all of your income just from lawn care.
Try to think of some things you like to do, and post them here, then maybe we can get an idea of something for you to do from those things, and working may not be that bad!

buying and selling on Ebay can be a money maker, if you know what you are buying, and sell accordingly. Just a thought, if there's not much around you.

Good luck

WeatherMan
01-09-2004, 03:31 PM
fence installs, landscape installs pond and waterfall installs concrete stamping, I could go on and on

John B Laidlaw
01-09-2004, 03:43 PM
Try tree pruning, can do in most weather and best in winter, interior plant maintenance--- office buildings, restaurants, Drs offices, interior painting. Good luck! Hate to see someone that invested ten years give it up!
J:(

Rich's Lawn Care
01-09-2004, 03:44 PM
Get your CDL and you can get a job in the winter driving a oil truck. they love landscaper's because they only need you in the winter.

TURF DOCTOR
01-09-2004, 03:58 PM
A good sideline is power washing.

J Hisch
01-09-2004, 06:59 PM
Start your own lighting business. No investment on your part since the customers buy from you but you buy direct at wholesale. Let your boss know you want to stay with him. but need something thru the winter.

dvmcmrhp52
01-09-2004, 07:25 PM
Find something else you like to do and are good at,and do it in the winter to make more money.
I'm doing commercial flooring installs,tree work etc.
Give it some thought........You'll come up with something.

LB Landscaping
01-09-2004, 07:36 PM
Just like Rich said get you CDL and drive an oil truck My buddy drives for one they hire him full time in the winter with full bene's and a pretty good wage.

proenterprises
01-09-2004, 07:40 PM
sorry to here the industry is rough up their. i would take the advice of some others and try and get a little off season work and still be able to cut grass when teh warm months roll around. would be sad to see you bail. especially since you have been in it for 10 years:waving:

Sean Adams
01-09-2004, 09:17 PM
I know several people who have driving newspaper routes in the winter....hours aren't that great but money is not bad....you get to drive and it is something you can even keep in the summer months to do before you go out and work....if it is a possibility, I would look into it.

Popsicle
01-10-2004, 12:32 AM
Have you considered leaving MN?

lawnchopper
02-07-2004, 11:36 AM
today im going for a interview with a courier company It pays very well l would make double what i do now. It bums me out about might having to leave the green industry. The $12 hr 8 months out of the yr with no benifits just isnt cuttin it. I may stay in it partime if possible.
Im so used to doing lawn care and I like it that if they offer this to me Im not sure if I really want it......its that it just pays so well. Im not sure what to do :confused:

J Hisch
02-07-2004, 12:15 PM
Money is no replacement for happiness...... If you are not meeting your bills that is another story. so many thing you can do for three months in the winter....

Norm Al
02-07-2004, 12:19 PM
if you really want to make some money,,,,,,i have a friend that sells franchises for redoing interiors in automobiles!

it is the easiest stuff i have ever seen done and the dealers eat it up because a trade in can be refreshed for minimal dollars and maximim gain,,,,,his first year doing it he cleared $120,000.00 in tampa with no employees,,,,all by himself!

if you want his number call me at 863-670-9032

GarPA
02-07-2004, 12:57 PM
Lawnchopper...I might get blasted for saying thie but I will anyway. I think you are making a responsible decision. While you may be very good in the landscape business, even at $15/hr with little or no benefits, there is no financial future in it unless you can eventually have your own land-business. Plus you are in a cold climate which makes your season even shorter than "normal" for the northern areas of the country, as you know all too well.

You might want to consider reversing the situation. Get the year round job with benefits and some future, and do the land/lawn work part time. This would allow you to reap the benefits of a steady job, enjoy the land work that you like, and at the same time you will see if in fact you have what it takes to start and maintain your own land business.

Kudos to you for having the guts to walk away from a job you like allot and for making what is a difficult decision for you. Just remember that often, out of tough situations, can come great situations. Never give up....

alpine692003
02-07-2004, 01:50 PM
This is the reason why I didn't leave my current job with Brinks, lol.. I want to get my business fully going and then I can afford to leave Brinks and start off slowly!

Flex-Deck
02-07-2004, 02:02 PM
Start your own business-why work for someone - just make sure you have efficient equipment that will yield profit instead of overhead. - Make every machine you own 50% more productive than it was. Thanks, Brad

PLI1
02-07-2004, 02:05 PM
I know a few guys who do handyman work. They all have more work than they can handle. They do anything from hanging pictures for old ladies, repairing toilets, painting, fixing leaky faucets, cleaning out garages, snowblower repair, hanging light fixtures and so on. If you are handy, you could do this! My friend does this in rural wisconsin and he charges $34 per hour plus supplies. Not bad $

bobbygedd
02-07-2004, 03:18 PM
well, according to all the nice boys on lawnsite, having more competition can't hurt you. so, what was your problem again?

hole in one lco
02-07-2004, 03:35 PM
My buddy works for one of the largest landscapers in my area. He delivers pizza at night fri sat he makes 200.00 he puts in the bank for winter.

aries
02-07-2004, 03:35 PM
I'm sorry to hear that it's really tuff when something you love so much doesn't work but like popsicle said maybe you should consider leaving that area and go someplace were business is plentyfull do what is best for you and your family! hope everything works out for Goodlick to you!

JOE

bastalker
02-07-2004, 03:50 PM
I am a firm believer of "there is never to much compitition". You have been in this biz for 10 years, which gives you a good advantage. I think alot of the compitition your talkin about is people just like you, trying to start thier own biz, or have been in it a short time. There is always room for one more...

As far as winter work, you have gotten alot of great ideas to carry you through it.

Up to you....Keep workin for someone, and find something to carry you through the winter, or bite the bullet an go for it, Start yer own biz. Starting your own biz will allow you to save money for the winter months.

Yer pretty much the author of your own destiny... Good Luck to ya..

BB36
02-07-2004, 04:30 PM
10 years in the business, then you must have heard of attached unemployment.
First you must be Incorporated.
Second pay yourself a salary ie., pay taxes,workmen's comp, FICA etc..
Third at the end of the growing season apply for benefits, if you have paid into the "system" for a minimum of 2 quarters ( 6 months) , looking back 5 quarters ; you may qualify for weekly benefits (a check) which may last up to 4 months.
IT IS LEGAL IN NC.