PDA

View Full Version : Isuzu box truck leaf loader?????

Duncan Lawn Care
01-09-2004, 08:07 PM
Has anyone ever converted an Isuzu box truck for loading leaves? Is there something you could put on the floor to be able to pull a heavy load out? Thanks

GTLC
01-09-2004, 08:53 PM
Isuzu is too light duty

GTLC
01-09-2004, 08:54 PM
http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=59168

GLS
01-09-2004, 10:33 PM
Isuzu is too light duty

How would you know this? Have you owned one or is this just what you have "heard?"

GTLC
01-11-2004, 09:30 AM
Well, lets see, I have not owned one, but a very honest uncle, President of a large trucking company has owned at least ten and is the source of this knowledge. He has gotten rid of all of them since they have quickly worn out on him. he has replaced them with Internationals or Peterbuilts.

lbmd1
01-11-2004, 12:43 PM
N1alx,
I see by your profile that you are about 16 years old. While I have nothing against your age, I do dislike opinions that are not based on anything but hearsay. People come here for answers from people who have experience in the subject that others are posting. Just like I would not respond to a thread about Walker mowers because I have no experience with them, nor should you seeing you don't even drive. Your uncle owns a trucking company. There is a big difference between lawn care and running palletized shipments with various weights all over the region or country. I happen to not only own an Izusu cabover box truck for my lawn care operation, I also drive an oil truck in the winter that are Internationals and they are certainly way out of class for a lawn care company. My past experience prior to lawn care over a decade ago was as a distribution\logistics manager for the country's largest cheesecake company. So I also speak from experience in purchasing\leasing large trucks for distribution. Please compare apples to apples and not spew off information about how Isuzus are too light. Funny how most guys using them get about 250,000 without there first major maintenance. Most guys here don't have multiple drivers using there trucks pulling maximum loads across multiple states. I have had mine for 3 years now and put about 3400 miles a year locally trailering a 16 ft trailer with 2 62" Z's on them. They are the most reliable, versitile light duty trucks on the market along with the Mitsu's, UD's and Hino's. Remember, opinions are like assholes, everyone has one. You just need to know how to filter out the crap.

Mike

morturf
01-11-2004, 12:53 PM
I currently own a Chevy w-4 Gas. Given the type of work we are doing I feel that my truck is perfect. I am not putting lots of miles or huge loads on them. I think that for the 7 years I have owned mine I have had very few problems with it. I do work it, pull trailers and haul tons of fertilizer. I just don't think that you can go wrong in our business with these types of trucks be it a Hino, Mitso, Isuzu, GM. Good luck with your decision.
Mike

GTLC
01-11-2004, 01:55 PM
ok then, if you want perspective from other people, then take it. Not to mention this trucking company did not use them daily, nor did they haul massive loads with them. They used these light duty trucks to do short distance deliveries and pickups. this company knows trucks, they only have at least 200 of them. IN MY OPINION, a japanese truck would not be bad for light duty use such as maybe a stakebody, but I don't know about daily mowing crew usage. Cheesecakes might be different to haul then regular freight. I am in a large family with a background in the trucking industry, and am friends with several people from an International dealer. Lawnsite is just a big mixture of opinions, and everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and this is mine. It is your decision what to do, not mine. I am only a 16 year-old! :cool2:

lbmd1, you may have heard of this trucking company, Land Air Express of New England.

paponte
01-11-2004, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by n1alx
Isuzu is too light duty

I would HIGHLY disagree with that statement. Although I do not own Isuzu, I do have a cabover I use for a leaf setup. If 18,000lbs is too light duty for leaves, I would like to know what type of leaves you have in your neck of the woods. There is no way you would utilize a Peterbuilts potential merely hauling leaves.

This truck can haul 25yds of shredded leaves with no problem at all.:cool:

http://kidquest0.tripod.com/IMAGES/setup2.jpg

GTLC
01-11-2004, 03:01 PM
I agree with paponte. The cabovers are fine for leaf work.