PDA

View Full Version : seeder or spreader

guff1972
01-09-2004, 10:40 PM
Which do you prefer to use to seed yards, a seeder or a spreader. Please give some advantages and disadvantages to each. Overseeding and new yard

Rhodester
01-10-2004, 09:22 AM
What type of "seeder"?

SWD
01-10-2004, 09:29 AM
Dependent upon the characteristics of whatever turf site I am working with - I will use both a drop and a rotary spreader.

PLI1
01-10-2004, 09:38 AM
I use a drop seeder on small lawns. It spreads more accurately, especially along planting beds, walks ect.. I use a Gandy 48". On larger lawns between 10,000 sq' and 1 acre, I use a broadcast spreader in the open areas, then use the drop seeder along edges. Care must be taken when seeding with a broadcast spreader. There must be little or no wind so the seed gets spread evenly. I usually try to time these jobs before 10:00 a.m. since thats when there is usually the least wind.

workaholic
01-10-2004, 07:09 PM
Are you asking if a slit seeder is better to use then a broadcast spreader? A slit seeder is used to cut grooves in to an exsisting lawn for over seeding. (thin lawn bare spots,ect.) a broadcast spreader is used for spreading seed ,fertilizer,granular products very quick like, some broadcasts spread up to 25 ft.if you use a drop spreader type expect more walking and time to distribute product .

guff1972
01-10-2004, 07:52 PM
I was considering getting a landpride primary seeder, but not sure if thats the best way to go for putting in new lawns and ovverseeding

workaholic
01-10-2004, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by guff1972
I was considering getting a landpride primary seeder, but not sure if thats the best way to go for putting in new lawns and ovverseeding How many lawns do you install a year? How many lawns do you overseed?

trying 2b organic
01-10-2004, 08:11 PM
can we get more opintions on rotary vrs drop spreader for overseeding, ty for posting question im overseeding this yr and had planned on using my Shindaiwa RS75 broadcast spreader for P. Ryegrass seed on small res. lawns.

workaholic
01-10-2004, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by trying 2b organic
can we get more opintions on rotary vrs drop spreader for overseeding, ty for posting question im overseeding this yr and had planned on using my Shindaiwa RS75 broadcast spreader for P. Ryegrass seed on small res. lawns. How small is the lawn?

trying 2b organic
01-10-2004, 08:17 PM
my average here is 3-5k. ty :o

guff1972
01-10-2004, 09:12 PM
I am just getting into the bussiness and was trying to figure out which is the best way to go.

workaholic
01-10-2004, 09:42 PM
Not to many contractors use drop spreaders any more. broadcast spreaders are much faster as you well know. I think your question is how to overseed a lawn? This is a funny thing because i see alot of people and contractors put seed in a spreader and start overseeding an exsisting lawn and think there doing the right thing but in reality all there doing is putting seed down that gets washed away from the first rain or just drys out from not making contact with the soil. first thing you need to do is use a slit seeder, it will cut grooves in the top layer of soil and helps seed to soil contact.best way to do this would be run machine horizontally and vertically across lawn and most slit seeders will do the seeding for you..