PDA

View Full Version : anyone using this site to pick up work?

gogetter
01-10-2004, 06:53 AM
You can list your business for potential customers to find. It's affordable, but I don't know how effective.
Thought some might want to check it out.

http://www.yardworkusa.com/Our_Service.html

brucec32
01-10-2004, 12:23 PM
One day this sort of thing will be commonplace and well used. Right now I doubt most people would know to look there.

This brings up a question though. Anyone use online yellow pages ads such as at Yahoo.com? I do search for things there myself from time to time.

gogetter
01-10-2004, 01:09 PM
I spent a little more time checking out the site.
It seems like the problem isn't lack of potential customers, but lack of conractors listed.

I went through several states, and many had none, and others only had one contractor listed.

It did seem that there were potential customers checking the site out though. I say this because there was a poll that had a pretty good response. And there was a list of inquiries for various services.

I may just give it a shot, since it's pretty cheap. Not much to lose.

If I do decide to try it, I post back.

Zach76
01-10-2004, 01:42 PM
I may try this out as well. Not a single contractor listed in NE. even one customer will pay for it, and if I don't get any, hey its only $3.95 down the drain.

gogetter
01-10-2004, 01:44 PM
I just recieved an e-mail back from the site owner.
It turns out that the site is only 4 months old (Oct. '03), that's why it looks slow.

They are working on reaching more LCO's and homeowners through direct mail, print ads and radio.

So now I'm even more interested.
Considering it would only run between $48 and $120 per YEAR (depending on which ad package you choose, there are 3), that's a pretty good deal.

It may take a little time for it to take off, but for such a minimal fee, not really much to lose. I'd say the site has potential.

pcnservices
01-10-2004, 06:03 PM
This is the type of service I would like to see Lawnsite.com offer for it's members.
All of it's 13000+ members have a signage or a bumper sticker on their truck to promote this service. Something like servicemagic.com? People wanting a lawn service can come here and "shop" for a pre qualified pro lco. Sean, do you think something like this is possible? Great way of getting traffic to this website, more advertisers, more $$$$ and we the member get to list their services for free.
PC

Metro Lawn
01-10-2004, 06:32 PM
I joined that site several monthes ago. No work from it yet, but it is the off season here. My reason behind doing it was the fact that this site shows up at the top of most any search you do regarding lawns. The price wasn't bad and I am the only one in my area listed. Let's just keep this our little secret, shall we...

gogetter
01-10-2004, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by Metro Lawn
[B Let's just keep this our little secret, shall we... [/B]

Metro, I hear where you're coming from. But the owner did say that he wasn't working too hard to attract homeowners yet because he doesn't have that many LCO's listed yet. (remember, it is only 4 months old too)

So without the LCO's listed there, the homeowners won't come.

We'll see if it takes off or not. I've e-mailed the owner a few suggestions and thoughts.
For one, I think he should get off that Homestead! When I see those freebie webhosts, I think "unprofessional" or "temporary".
And I suggested he try to make the page look more professional. Like the logo (the grass next to the site name) looks like it was drawn by a kid.
The site needs a more professional image.

Anyway, good luck with it. I'll be signing up soon to give it a try.

paponte
01-11-2004, 02:53 PM
Reminds me of a friend trying to start a site like that. www.contractorsden.com . It's hard to get established with contractors, homeowners enough to make it work. Only reason i am listed is because he put me on there. I would not pay for something like that. :cool:

Lanelle
01-11-2004, 03:38 PM
There was talk here a few years ago of doing something like pcnservices suggested here at Lawnsite. As I recall, I even sent in money for it......

JimLewis
01-11-2004, 04:14 PM
There are a gazillion sites like this on the internet. I've seen them come. And I've seen them go usually too. I've used the ones where you have to pay to get a listing and I've used the ones where the listing is free. I've been using these for years and tracking where hits to our website come from.

I'll tell you from years of experience that most of these sites are totally worthless in terms of getting you credible leads. There are a few who actually do create good leads for us. But VERY few. And they aren't the pay-for ones.