PDA

View Full Version : Scag Turf Tiger vs. Tiger Cub

BrandonH
01-10-2004, 09:27 PM
I am going to be purchasing my first ZTR this year and have narrowed my choice down to the Scag. I haven't shopped around much yet so I really don't know the prices on these 2 models, so feel free to enlighten me. I am looking for anyone with experience with the 2 different mowers to please tell me what you think of them. Also if you prefer one over the other please elaborate. Thanks on advance for any advice you can give me.

-Brandon

brentsawyer
01-10-2004, 09:36 PM
Just to let you know how I feel I sold my Turf Tiger this past year and replaced it with a Tiger Cub. I paid $6,900+tax 52" w /23KAW. Advantages for me were 6" shorter, lighter, shorter which makes the machine easier to maneuver on 1/4 acre lawns. The TT will cost you at least $1,000 more.

pinnacle
01-10-2004, 09:39 PM
I don't own any Scag units but for what it's worth, I have made inquirys about both the mentioned models and was told by 3 seperate dealers that they have noticed that the Cubs bost minimal down time.

Also......Scag have released a model that sits somewhere inbetween the Cub and the Tiger (can't remebre what their calling it). I would have a look at this model.

Scag make great mowers!

Have fun on ya new machine mate.

snowmizer
01-10-2004, 10:05 PM
brandonh,
I was just at the scag dealer today they have the new wildcat on the showroom and it is sweet!!! 27hp,61" advantage deck its like a tigercub on steroids. they also have a turf tiger for $8300.00 03" model, brand new they want $8000.00 for the wildcat. The turf tiger is definately a more stout piece but i feel the wildcat would be better for residential yards. some homeowners just do not like those big machines on their yard.its tempting to get the tiger for $300.00 more but i am still leaning towards the wildcat.. hope it helps you a little.

LLandscaping
01-10-2004, 10:32 PM
The Turf Tiger is shaft driven and the Tiger Cub has belts(like Exmarks, Toros, etc.). We have a 2003 Tiger Cub 19/48inch. It has about 250 hours with no problem, only routine maintenance. I like the Wildcat, but wish it had same size fuel tank as the Turf Tigers and had the option of the liquid cooled kawasaki.

Adam,
Lovell's Lawn Care

snowmizer
01-10-2004, 10:53 PM
llandscaping,
yea the shaft driven deck is nice...liquid cooling would be a plus

J&R
01-10-2004, 10:56 PM
I have 2003 tiger more problems that you can shake a stick at. 300 hours and pump belts replace 4 times. I have Exmark Z with 1500 hours and never been in the shop. I would trade the tiger with 300 hours for Exmark with 5000 hours and still get the better mower.

John Gamba
01-11-2004, 05:54 AM
Originally posted by J&R
I have 2003 tiger more problems that you can shake a stick at. 300 hours and pump belts replace 4 times. I have Exmark Z with 1500 hours and never been in the shop. I would trade the tiger with 300 hours for Exmark with 5000 hours and still get the better mower.

I AGREE!!!!!!!!!

BrandonH
01-11-2004, 08:56 AM
I appreciate all the advice. I don't want to turn this into an Exmark vs. Scag thread, but I have not totally rulled a Lazer out. I like the design of the Scag and I already own a Scag wb that I have had zero problems with. Also I have yet to find an Exmark dealer that I like...my scag dealer is a great help and if ever needed has one of the best shops around.

-Brandon

J&R
01-11-2004, 09:11 AM
I have 2 scag wb mowers they have been great over the years. That's way i bought the Truf Tiger. Don't get fooled like i did just because they can built a great wb Don't mean they can do the same with there riders.

brentsawyer
01-11-2004, 09:30 AM
Again, get the tiger cub, you will have far fewer problems. Also, I always make it a rule to never buy anything new the first year it comes out. Also, the 48" cub can't hold a hill for anything, I should know, I demoed one for two weeks waiting for my 52" to come in.

odin
01-11-2004, 09:51 AM
Scag have released a model that sits somewhere inbetween the Cub and the Tiger (can't remebre what their calling it). I would have a look at this model

its called the wildcat.....

i had a tiger cub good tough mower good cut quality ...built like a tank.
no mechanical problems with mine.

BrandonH
01-11-2004, 10:56 AM
I want a 61" deck so I guess I will have to go with the wildcat or the tiger, unless I can find someone that still has an '03 tiger cub in stock. What would be the best engine combination if I did go with the Tiger? I'm going to try and get to my local Scag dealer this week and take a look around and see what kind of prices I'm looking at.

Brentsawyer,

I understand what you're saying about not buying first year machines, but if I'm not mistaken the Wildcat is the same as the old 61" Tiger Cub just with a different name.

-Brandon

odin
01-11-2004, 01:54 PM
. understand what you're saying about not buying first year machines, but if I'm not mistaken the Wildcat is the same as the old 61" Tiger Cub just with a different name

there are a few differences better hydro gear hydro pumps and a better electric clutch..ogura 250 ftlbs electric clutch.

only engine on the wildcat so far is 27 air cooled kohler.

BrandonH
01-11-2004, 03:17 PM
Is the 27hp Kohler a good engine? I have a 15hp Kawasaki on my wb and have had zero problems with it. It seems like a 27hp for a 61" deck would be ample power.

-Brandon

pinnacle
01-11-2004, 09:09 PM
You wouldn't wana get anything less than a 27Hp on a 61'' if you want your to be totaly satisfied in all conditions IMO.

I run a 52'' with a 25 and wouldn't want anything less than the 25.

27 would be spot on for the 61 imo.

rob1325
01-11-2004, 11:06 PM
I have both models. If you want compactness get the Cub. If you don't mind a bigger machine get the Tiger, It has better features than cub. Also if you get a 52" I like the Cub better, when going up to 61" you now have the wildcat also, though I love Kawi and liquid cooled so I would get the Tiger for 61" size machines. Lastly if you ever get the spindle vac the Tiger holds more than the Cub. Either way you are getting the best machine out there IMO.

CTservices
01-12-2004, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by J&R

The boys in cleveland couldn't fix the alignment problem? I haven't been around here in a while, haven't followed the progress.

J&R
01-13-2004, 03:19 AM
CT check your PM.

BrandonH
01-13-2004, 07:50 AM
I went to one dealer yesterday just to check his prices and at first he didn't even know anything about the Wildcat. He told me they weren't going to get any in so if I wanted a 61" I would have to go with the Tiger. The salesman was very helpfull, so needless to say I will most likely be returning to my origina dealer today to look around. The price they had on the Tiger w/61" deck and 27hp air cooled was $8900 if I'm not mistaken. Does that price sound about right?

-Brandon

BrandonH
01-13-2004, 09:59 AM
I meant to say the salesman wasn't very helpful.

Grass King
01-13-2004, 10:18 AM
Brandon,

$8900.00 for the Tiger is high. Back in November I gave $7900.00 for my 61" Tiger 27 HP Air Cool in Mississippi. Love it

BrandonH
01-13-2004, 09:43 PM
I went by two different dealers today. The first I wasn't very impressed with. He did not have any Wildcats in stock, but did have an '03 61" Cub left. He told me the lowest he could go on that mower was $7800. I laughed then left. Next I went to the same dealer that I bought my wb from...I was reminded why I did business with them right away. They are extremely knowledgable and friendly. They also had a 61" Cub left and told me he would let it go for $7100. He also has some Wildcats in stock that he said were $7500.

So now my delima is whether to go with the 61" Cub and 25hp Kawasaki or the Wildcat that has a 27hp Kohler. Anybody want to lead me in a direction. The cost difference is minimal so it really boils down to which engine is better.

-Brandon

CTservices
01-13-2004, 09:49 PM
hows the new seat on the wildcat compare to the cub? I've got a cub, thinking of swapping to a better seat.

BrandonH
01-13-2004, 09:53 PM
Good Question...The Wildcat they had was in the crate still. They are going to pull it out tomorrow so I can take a close look at it. He said that the seat was a big improvement being the "easy ride" or something along those lines.

-Brandon

CTservices
01-13-2004, 09:56 PM
If you don't mind, give your best comparison, and post some pics of the new seat, showing how it is mounted and what not. I don't think my dealer will have a wildcat anytime soon, so I'll only be ordering the seat 'blind' with a part number.

Thanks

Kady Landscape
01-14-2004, 11:23 AM
Brandon,
I own a 2002 STC 52" deck w/a 23hp Kawasaki. Great machine. Put 300 hrs on it last season, with only regular maintence. I bought it last May as a dealer demo with 200 hrs and the collection system for $7000. If you want the 61" deck you need to go to the larger frame machine. More hp is always good too, with the collection system on mine the 23 hp is ok but not great.

Go Patriots!

BrandonH
01-14-2004, 06:26 PM
CT,

I took a good look at the Wildcat today and I think that's the way I'm going. I didn't have a camera with me so I didn't get any pics of the seat, however I watched them assemble it out of the crate. The seat has 4 bolts on the bottom that go straight through the bracket on the mower. I didn't look at the cub seat underneath, but I would assume they are the same type of mount. As far as the seat it is extremely nice...and I do like it quite a bit over the cub seat. I'm not sure how much that seat costs, but according to my dealer it is not cheap.

-Brandon

CTservices
01-14-2004, 07:08 PM
The seat is part # 9268 from SCAG. See what kind of price your dealer has on it when you're ready to purchase your mower.

Thanks

BrandonH
01-14-2004, 07:19 PM
Will do!