PDA

View Full Version : Belts for Toro SFS 44

J. Davis
01-10-2004, 10:06 PM
The right wheel belt on my Toro SFS 44 has been replaced 4x over the last 2 years. The left belt is the same that came on the machine new.... and continues to look new.
Two question...........Could this be a user style problem (turning in one direction most of the time) or could it be a mechanical problem? This machine is used on 4-5 yards a week (same person) and the belts are adjusted according to factory specs....also the belts are the old "v" belt style.....

curry
01-10-2004, 10:23 PM
Mine did the same thing. Replaced 2 belts in 3 months. Dealer then put on some high dollar kevlar belt and it hasnt been replaced in the last 1.5 years. Mine was under warrenty so I didnt pay anything so I dont know how much the kevlar belt runs.

Lbilawncare
01-10-2004, 11:37 PM
My question is- How did you determine the belt needed replacement, was it stretched out, broken, cracked? We never had a problem when we ran our belt-drives, the belts got stretched out over time so we just adjusted the t-bar rods a bit, we only replaced them every other year at most due to necessity. We used to use a bungee around the t-bar for a brake because the flip-out brake was not sufficient, this made the belt tend to stretch out a little bit. We used them about 400-500 hours per season. Sounds like an adjustment needs top be made on the t-bar rods.

J. Davis
01-11-2004, 09:30 PM
During heavy use (late summer with lots of rain in Alabama) I started to notice that the belt (right side only) needed to be adjusted weekly. The left belt 1 to 2 times a cutting season. The right belt seemed to get small cracks across the belt (across the "V" shape). These cracks would get larger until the belt would pull-apart. The time frame was 1-2 months from the time I noticed the marks on the belt to it needed to be replaced. The cost of these belts are $25 - 35 in my area, not a lot of money, but money is money....!

edward hedrick
01-11-2004, 09:33 PM
Have a 52 Toro w/b and had a 44 both belt drive. Had the 44about 5 yrs belts were dry rotted. Both about the same.
replaced w oem Toro belt. I bought the 52 used March 02.

belts still ok. ED

Tommy D
01-14-2004, 01:54 PM
change the brass pully it's about $12.00 to $15.00 I had the same problem with one of my 52" Toro belt drives

J. Davis
01-14-2004, 02:54 PM
Thanks for the help.....I will change both items