PDA

View Full Version : deer repellant what works!!

snowmizer
01-10-2004, 11:12 PM
customer of mine is having promblems with deer feeding on his shrubs,asked me what works to get rid of them after hearing just about every remedy possible i was told human hair bagged in nylon and attached to the shrubs will keep them away???? can anyone confirm this?also i guess mothballs work? any ideas??:dizzy:

Black Water
01-11-2004, 12:30 AM
I've heard about the hair thing, and i've heard about hanging soap outside for a deterant. But something that has worked great for me is Shake Away.

www.critter-repellent.com

Robert.:)

sildoc
01-11-2004, 12:39 AM
We have a problem with deer and elk on rose bushes and for that matter any flowery type bush. I have started using with excelent success, ground jalapeno pepers and water in a spritzer bottle.
spray on all of the bush. The deer will bother for about a week and then they get the hint. Needs to be applies once a week and then after a rain. After a while you can skip a week here and there and they still wont bother them. Oh they goto the neighbors yard. Trust me. one of my clients neighbors offered to pay me for my secret. I told them I would apply once a week for a set price. Well to say they don't have very nice shrubs, still.

Gilla Gorilla
01-11-2004, 12:41 AM
I have used a liquid called Bobex from Southern States and it worked great, but it smells terrible.

Phishook
01-11-2004, 02:03 AM
I've never had to deal with it. But I have heard the jalapeno peppers, or chili pepper in a spray bottle works.

Probably any thing spicy.

If you're into hot sauces, get some Hot As Hell, or something similar. One drop is enough to light my mouth on fire.:angry:

Yard Perfect
01-11-2004, 02:05 AM
I have over 100+ roses and they were an invitation for multiple deer. I tied Irish Spring soap in little pieces with my wifes nylons on each rose. Deer went away. Have to redo every couple of months during the growing season. 1 small piece for each rose. This will work and I use it for my customers when they have same problem.

Del9175
01-11-2004, 03:58 AM
I believe that it is just a matter of putting something out there with human scent on it. Wether its soap or hair, if the deer smell something out of the ordinary they won't stick around.

Camelot Gardens Uk
01-11-2004, 09:36 AM
We use this stuff Renodine, don't know if you can get.

http://www.hillier.co.uk/gc/HGC_IS_mar.html javascript:smilie(':gunsfirin')

Have 19 deer on one of my larger sites which come into the gardens after the roses and everything else.

Notice Sat they have now got up the driveway as far as the house!:gunsfirin :gunsfirin

sbvfd592
01-11-2004, 10:00 AM
Deer Off it last 3 months. Its is on page 392 of the gemplers catolog.

DUSTYCEDAR
01-11-2004, 11:03 AM
the soap and hair only work on country deer. if they are urban deer used 2 people it takes hot sauce or something stronger 2 move them on

burnandreturn
01-11-2004, 12:05 PM
30 - 06

proenterprises
01-11-2004, 12:55 PM
I have made these little contraptions in the past..heres what you do

1) Take some soda bottles and cut the necks off the bottles.
2) Get some little mesh bags and fill the up with malorganite.
3) Tie up the bags and attach a string to the top.
4) Put a hole in the soda bottle cap and string the line tied to the bag through it.
5) Tie the bag either on a tree, or a stick/pole next to the plant.

The scent will last for weeks, and the neck of the bottle will keep the rain from washing the malorganite scent away.

Replace montly.

Phishook
01-11-2004, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by DUSTYCEDAR
the soap and hair only work on country deer. if they are urban deer used 2 people it takes hot sauce or something stronger 2 move them on

yep if the scent is always there, they get use to it.

sildoc
01-11-2004, 04:19 PM
You have to think of apperance also.
Proenterprise, I can't imagine having several to hundreds of little pop bottles hanging around my yard just to keep the deer away.
The more crap that is around the flowers takes away from the beauty of the flowers themselves. If this is the case why have flowers to begin with and save the money and trouble of trying to keep the deer away.

snowmizer
01-11-2004, 06:47 PM
sildoc,
so just grind up the peppers add water and spray the bushes-take it this will not harm evergreens? I allready put hair in stockings on every other bush and i also hung some mothballs up here and there. I will have to try the pepper spray if this does not work.. thanks for all of your feedback..

faithfulFrank
01-11-2004, 07:05 PM
Around Thanksgiving I sprayed "Deer-Off" on over 230 trees and shrubs that were getting eaten alive by deer. They have NOT returned. Deer-Off lasts three months. Works well. I bought a quart bottle that mixes to make 8 quarts for about $36.00 You get what you pay for and it's cheaper than trees.....Seems to me that mixing up a batch in your sprayer and spraying is easier and faster than hanging "ornaments" or grinding up peppers, etc........

heritage
01-11-2004, 07:06 PM
Try This,
Studies have been done with Milorganite (activated sewer sludge)
Fertilizer for deer control. 5Lbs per 100Sq. Ft. applied monthly.
The deer HATE the smell of this stuff! Using it now and so far it works well. You can get it from the home depot or agway.
It is Not Labeled for deer control so when you apply it you should bill as a fertilization. :)

Pete D.

faithfulFrank
01-11-2004, 07:09 PM
Sorry to re-post, but I just reread your first message. Don't use mothballs or anything else kids can pick up and eat....happened in my city here years ago....very sad story. I would not want to be responsible for that. Again, use
Deer-off...it works here and I am only 30 miles from you.....

snowmizer
01-11-2004, 07:57 PM
faithfulfrank,
i hear you on the mothball thing i hung them high (there are nearby elder trees) just place a few nearby...were did you buy the deer away? i was afraid of using a spray with all the snowfall we have had lately...see ya neighbor..

ps. do you like your exmark?

proenterprises
01-11-2004, 09:06 PM
sildoc-you obvisouly put them in a descrit place.

and their are not "hundreds of them" around...you have 1 for every planting.

sildoc
01-11-2004, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by snowmizer
sildoc,
so just grind up the peppers add water and spray the bushes-take it this will not harm evergreens? I allready put hair in stockings on every other bush and i also hung some mothballs up here and there. I will have to try the pepper spray if this does not work.. thanks for all of your feedback..

Get your fresh peppers from grocery store. Jalapeno are easy to find habenero (sp) are best cause they are HOT.
Get blender out and start grinding away add a little water to get a nice past. figue out how many plants you want to spray. if a little get a small spritzer bottle. Alot get a back pack sprayer. Add to stocking or some sort of filter (especialy if you are using your back pack sprayer) so not to clog up and add water. Let sit for at least an hour so to get a good and even through out the water. spray away.
Also works good to keep the cats from laying pipe in your flower beds. Their paws sweat so it sends them a flamin on to the neighbors.

Now deer will still come around untill they get the Idea that if they eat it their mouths will be on fire.
Cheap. Cost wise to you is about a buck for jalapenos. You can also mix up a big batch and put in in containors for later.

snowmizer
01-11-2004, 11:15 PM
sildoc,
allright thanks for the tip i will try it!! i will just run that paste through a paint filter and let em eat!!! thanks again..

faithfulFrank
01-12-2004, 12:29 AM
Snowmizer- I bought the deer-off at Country-Max on Rt.5 just east of Batavia. They had the biggest selection of different deer repellent products around....I checked all over. They also give a HUGE discount to Landscapers. The product I used is called Deer-off. I tell you his because there is also a product called deer-away, which may be good, I just never used it. Deer-off has a website....www.deer-off.com
They say it stays on for 3 months, even through snow and rain. So far it has worked. I haven't seen even one deer track since I used it. As for the exmark HP 52", I just got it Saturday...it's a 2003 with only 4 hours on it..got it for $6000 cash. As you know, it will be months before I even get to ride it, but it looks great in my garage. I like it so much I talked my brother into buying a 2003 44" HP the same day from our local exmark dealer, so now there are 2 exmarks in the family....his has 3 less hours, but mine is bigger...hehehe.
Let me know about how you make out on the deer thing.....
fdangelo@mac.com