PDA

View Full Version : What questions to ask & how to price

wrestlingcoach
01-11-2004, 03:22 PM
I have a meeting on Wednesday to bid lawn care for a major company in Tulsa ( the main site is roughly 30 acres big and is half is well groomed and the otherhalf is hay field & then there is another site 5 miles away about 10 acres.). What questions do I need to ask since this is the first time for something this major? They want some landscaping, lawn mowing, trimming and weed control. I assume I need to ask how much liability coverage I need and that sort, WHAT ELSE??? This Could be some major money at least for my partner & I. Also what kind of contract????

Mudmower
01-11-2004, 07:45 PM
Hey Coach, let them tell you what THEY expect. They know what they are looking for, so be all ears. I would go into the meeting prepared to tell them the basics; 1. You have XXXX of General liability Ins. (at least 1 million). 2. What type of equipment you have (not really necessary but at least sound knowledgeable).

Let them open up to you. If they only want to talk price, then you need to pick their brain without them knowing it. Think of how you ask kids leading questions to get to an answer without actually asking a direct question. Example; Company, "How much do you charge for seasonal Flowers ?" You; "Well there are many types that will work here in Oklahoma, Do you have a color preference, or plant type that you have in mind".

Let them set the stage for what they are looking for. If you don't have much experience with this type of stuff (flowers and landscape) and are more of a mow only operation, try to have some figures in mind ahead of time. They may say we want lots of color, and you need to know what lots of color will cost.

Tell them you need this meeting to better understand their expectations so you can give them the best possible bid. Make sure they understand that this is a business and your bid will reflect that. Good luck......

Jim

proenterprises
01-11-2004, 07:54 PM
You need to get a general sense of what they are expecting you to do. Jot down notes and then as you go or later, you can put a price tag on each task they need done.

good luck.

workaholic
01-11-2004, 08:27 PM
My first question to you would be are you certified in weed control? I am assumming as you stated in your question that they want weed control included (weedkiller,herbicides ect.) you must be certified to implement theses services. They will ask you if you are insured and remember there will be alot of companys that will be bidding on these propertys so the more prepaird you are the better..

Avery
01-11-2004, 08:36 PM
Get a copy of the landscape spec. sheet. All commercial clients have one (or should).

olderthandirt
01-11-2004, 09:28 PM
Ditto! Avery, these co. that can afford and need these services have bid sheets that should spell out what they want.

Mac

wrestlingcoach
01-11-2004, 10:06 PM
thanks, this really helps.... I just passed the pesticide test Thurs. waiting on the paper work from the dept. of AG... any other IDEAS

bayfish
01-11-2004, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by Avery
Get a copy of the landscape spec. sheet. All commercial clients have one (or should).

Funny you should mention that. Of all the commercial accounts that I have and those that I've bid and did'nt get; only 2 have had grounds maintenance spec sheets. They all have them now, unfortunately, because I included them in my bid packages.

Mudmower
01-11-2004, 10:50 PM
I think I have seen ONE spec sheet in about 3.5 years. I only do rough acerage mowing so that may be why :dizzy: .