PDA

View Full Version : Buy New or Used?

JohnsonLawn
01-11-2004, 08:07 PM
Just getting ready to enter my 4th season and I am cosidering adding some equipment. Currently using a 48" Lesco belt w/b as my primary mower and I only have a 21" as my back up mower. Thinking of adding a 52" Hydro w/b and a Lesco 16hp loader this year and using the 48" as my back up and helper mower. My question is should I bite the bullet and buy new, dependable equipment or try to find some decent used gear. I would be financing the new stuff so I would have a payment to deal with but I guess you get what you pay for and if the used stuff breaks it is not making me any money. Leaning towards new but what would you guys do. thanks

LB Landscaping
01-11-2004, 08:15 PM
Depends what you find for used stuff and what the price is. If your only talking a few hundred dollars I'd go new, but once in a while you can find some really nice used stuff cheap. E-bay is a good place to look. I prefer going new but if the price is right I'll go used.

olderthandirt
01-11-2004, 08:26 PM
NEW! if there getting rid of it there usually a good reson and not the one about how they just don't need it anymore LOL

Mac

clovergurl1487
01-11-2004, 08:58 PM
I would try to go new. Olderthandirt has a good point. Also, something I learned the hard way is don't skimp to save a few bucks. Someone on here once said you cry once when you pay the extra bucks but you cry everytime you use the one you saved a few bucks on. I have proved this more than once....

workaholic
01-11-2004, 08:58 PM
New would be my choice

proenterprises
01-11-2004, 09:02 PM
i would go new...esp of its going to be a primary machine-that way their is no uncertainty with a used machine.

pjslawncare/landscap
01-11-2004, 11:02 PM
If you are a good mechanic, have the resourses and can handle possible repairs and you know what to look for on a used machine, than you can usually do well with used. If not, then go new.