PDA

View Full Version : Twist- n- Edge


macaw
01-12-2004, 12:50 PM
I have been using Poulan Twist-n- Edge weedeaters They do
a good job the only thing is the motor just Don't hold up.
Is there any other brand out there that dose the same thing.
Once I cut a edge with a edger I can maintane that for up to 2
years with the Twist-n- Edge it so easy you don't have to flip the trimmer around Just pull a tab and turn the shaft hit the tab and it flips back for trimming. They only cost around $80.00 At Wal-Mart

gogetter
01-12-2004, 03:22 PM
Buy a commercial trimmer, and then just turn it sideways to edge. It can't be any harder then the "twist-n-edge".

edgit
01-12-2004, 06:26 PM
Macaw- Go to edgit.com and download our Following the Edge manicuring system, you'll need it when you purchace a commercial trimmer (with a straight shaft). The string rotates the other direction, which will make you walk backwards when you trim. Train yourself to use the striaght shaft trimmer LEFT-HANDED.

macaw
01-13-2004, 06:55 PM
You still have to turn the trimmer sideways the twist-n-edge
is alot easyer to use

Avery
01-13-2004, 07:53 PM
I have never seen the benefit of using a weedeater to edge. Stick edger does a much nicer job and is 10x quicker.

bayfish
01-13-2004, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by Avery
I have never seen the benefit of using a weedeater to edge. Stick edger does a much nicer job and is 10x quicker.


....and you don't eat half as much dirt.

edgit
01-14-2004, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by Avery
I have never seen the benefit of using a weedeater to edge. Stick edger does a much nicer job and is 10x quicker.

Sorry, but you're wrong about edging faster with a stick edger. Once an edge is established (remember no one makes a living doing first time edgings) I can maintain an edge at least as fast as you can, probably even faster. But the real advantage is that 1) I don't have to go back to the truck to get the edger after trimming, 2) I do the trimming and edging together as one process. There is absolutely no way you can trim and edge as fast as I can with the Edgit on a trimmer. And I think the trimmer with an Edgit produces better, more distinctive edges than any edger.

Avery
01-14-2004, 09:32 PM
I got two guys on my maintenance crew that will take your money on that bet. 100% sure of that. I do not have to go back to the truck and get an edger. Mower goes first followed by a guy with a string trimmer, then a guy with a stick edger, and finally a guy with a backpack blower. String trimmer produces a better, more distinct edge than a stick edger with a metal blade! :confused: How does a small flexible line produce a better edge than a flat piece of metal?? I see lots of properties where the LCO uses trimmers to edge. No where near as nice as job as we do with edgers. But whatever works for you man. ;)

bayfish
01-14-2004, 10:23 PM
We have some commercial property with 500 - 600 feet of curbline. The stick edger is much quicker, leaves a sharper edge and is easier on the back. IMO

Tbarchaser
01-14-2004, 11:04 PM
I have been pondering the edgit for a while now, I can see the advantage to the system. I dont think it replaces the stick edger but I think it would work well. I would like to try one out.
I wish there was a way to demo one, My dealer says he has used one and it suprised him...but he wont carry them(he likes to sell edgers).

mowinmoney
01-15-2004, 12:11 AM
If your looking for quality the stick edgers will produce a consistent look. The string trimmers work but are more prone to human error. If productivity is main goal the edgit may be more effective for a one or two man crew, but like Avery mentions the quailty look comes from the edger.

PaulJ
01-15-2004, 01:36 AM
http://www.lawnsite.com/search.php?s=&action=showresults&searchid=265192&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending

Here's some reading for you. YOu can see what i have to say about the EDGIT. I will never have another trimmer wihtout and edgit.

Also you will be suprised with the difference in power and quality between your poulan brand twist and edge and a good commercial straight shaft tirmmer. So what if you turn it on it's side to edge. It works well at any angle. The edgit rests abnd rolls on the ground when edging so you don't have to suppport all the weight, like a stick edger.

Avery
01-15-2004, 01:41 AM
You do not have to support any weight with a stick edger. They have wheels also. :)

PaulJ
01-15-2004, 02:14 AM
Originally posted by Avery
You do not have to support any weight with a stick edger. They have wheels also. :)

that's what I said.:)

[B]"The edgit rests abnd rolls on the ground when edging so you don't have to suppport all the weight, like a stick edger."[B/]

this has wheels also. But I only use it on new accounts with overgrown edges.

The Captain
01-15-2004, 11:55 AM
The reason the motors don't hold up is they are an $80.00 homeowner once or twice a year use motors. If you want dependable, long lasting equipment you'll have to go to commercial grade and quality. Go Red Max, Shindaiwa, Echo, Edgit or something similar for longer lasting and more cost efficent units. Or try to get a quantity discount and buy more of what your using. (Just kidding about the last part.) IMHO

The Captain

edgit
01-15-2004, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by Avery
I got two guys on my maintenance crew that will take your money on that bet. 100% sure of that. I do not have to go back to the truck and get an edger. Mower goes first followed by a guy with a string trimmer, then a guy with a stick edger, and finally a guy with a backpack blower. String trimmer produces a better, more distinct edge than a stick edger with a metal blade! :confused: How does a small flexible line produce a better edge than a flat piece of metal?? I see lots of properties where the LCO uses trimmers to edge. No where near as nice as job as we do with edgers. But whatever works for you man. ;)

Avery, you just aren't getting it. I can do a job even faster if I use even more people and equipment, that's what you're saying. That's not the point. It's how much.... how fast.... and how well production is done by each individual worker! Under no circumstances can you or any members of your crew manicure a given property using a trimmer and stick edger as Paul can using the Edgit on his trimmer. He simply doesn't have to take as many steps around a property to accomplish the same task as you do.

That doesn't mean there is never a need for a stick edger. It just means that blade edgers are good for first time edgings. For maintaining edges and doing the trimming at the same time, nothing out there is as productive as the Edgit. (Go to edgit.com and download our"Following the Edge" manicuring system.)

Distincitve edge: Avery, have you ever mowed a lawn with a mower blade that wasn't sharpened? If you had, you'd see that the dull blade bludgened the tips of the grass and turned the surface of lawn brownish. This is what you do with blade edgers every day, unless you sharpen the blade, in which case it doesn't stay sharp long. Good trimmer line wears to a sharpened point and stays that way all day long.

I won't mention the damage your blade edgers do to the concrete, especially at corners. Oops, I just did.

But the most important reason for a "more distinctive edge" is width of cut. The Edgit cuts and maintains at least a .5" wide groove (but not the 1" plus you see by trimmer operators w/o the Edgit). Most people thinks it looks better than your little blade width groove. Also, your edge is gone in a day or so, the Edgit's groove lasts longer. This is, of course, more subjective than the production point.

Bottom line Avery. Paul can manicure a property better and faster with a given amount of labor and equipment. That means he makes more money with less effort than you do. No brag, just fact.

Kelly & Sons
01-15-2004, 01:17 PM
I have the edgit on all of my straight shaft weed-eaters... and wouldn't want to work without it... it makes for such a nicer job, both weed-eating AND edging. While I am weed-eating, with the edgit on, it is very easy to keep the cut very level... without scalping the grass like a lot of people do with a standard weed-eater...

Avery
01-15-2004, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by edgit
Avery, you just aren't getting it. I can do a job even faster if I use even more people and equipment, that's what you're saying. That's not the point. It's how much.... how fast.... and how well production is done by each individual worker! Under no circumstances can you or any members of your crew manicure a given property using a trimmer and stick edger as Paul can using the Edgit on his trimmer. He simply doesn't have to take as many steps around a property to accomplish the same task as you do.

That doesn't mean there is never a need for a stick edger. It just means that blade edgers are good for first time edgings. For maintaining edges and doing the trimming at the same time, nothing out there is as productive as the Edgit. (Go to edgit.com and download our"Following the Edge" manicuring system.)

Distincitve edge: Avery, have you ever mowed a lawn with a mower blade that wasn't sharpened? If you had, you'd see that the dull blade bludgened the tips of the grass and turned the surface of lawn brownish. This is what you do with blade edgers every day, unless you sharpen the blade, in which case it doesn't stay sharp long. Good trimmer line wears to a sharpened point and stays that way all day long.

I won't mention the damage your blade edgers do to the concrete, especially at corners. Oops, I just did.

But the most important reason for a "more distinctive edge" is width of cut. The Edgit cuts and maintains at least a .5" wide groove (but not the 1" plus you see by trimmer operators w/o the Edgit). Most people thinks it looks better than your little blade width groove. Also, your edge is gone in a day or so, the Edgit's groove lasts longer. This is, of course, more subjective than the production point.

Bottom line Avery. Paul can manicure a property better and faster with a given amount of labor and equipment. That means he makes more money with less effort than you do. No brag, just fact.

This is kinda like the debate about which is best. Chevy/Ford/Dodge. No one ever wins that one. Yea, I am getting it. I am one of the largest if not the largest LCO in my area. I did not get where I am by using tools/methods that do not work. I went to the website you listed and watched the vids. I hope that example is not the fastest you can go with a edgit. That guy was creeping. As for the end result it does not look as good as a job done with a edger. Our environment is sand. If we tried to use trimmer line to edge we would go through a spool of line very quickly. How do you maintain a constant depth using trimmer line? You would have to be constantly advancing the line. I am not saying that the edgit is total junk. I am sure it is fine for small operators or homeowners. I just do not think it has a place in a large commercial operation. I did like the part where he blew the clippings with it though. What else will that gadget do? :p

Thanks but no thanks. I will keep using an edger to edge, a trimmer to trim, and a blower to blow. :D Wish we were in the mowing season. I would show you some pics. of a truely clean edge produced with a stick edger.

Fantasy Lawns
01-15-2004, 02:21 PM
http://fantasylawns.com/5.jpg

We do every home in this photo n this just a few of the total 127 of em

There is just NO WAY IN %^$# that a weed eater can out do a stick edger .... every edge all cement n every landscape bed ...... just NO WAY .... anyone can say "oh yes we can" .... I just don't think so

I back this up with YEARS experience ... when I say edge .... I mean actually doing it .... not just running along ..... the edge is defined n clean & my blade may wear down but not half as quick as re-spooling the trimmer all the time .... when we edge the beds it is a clean defined line ....n I didn't kick mulch or pine bark up or destroy any plants or flowers near the edge

One day everyone will wake up n realize that sure I'm selling a service ..... a quality service .... reliable & consistent BUT what Im really selling is TIME . My time that I save on any job . All jobs is more $$ . N thats the bottom line

PaulJ
01-15-2004, 03:21 PM
I found this sidewalk two seasons ago. edged with a blade and widened the walk by at least 4 inches on each side. Used the trimmer with edgit when mowing (every 10 to 15 days) since then.

This is what i posted on another thread about edging.

PaulJ
01-15-2004, 03:35 PM
Who out there that is saying no to the edgit has actually used one and I mean for at least a week and used the "following the edge" system?
So fantasy your saying that you go around all the edges with a stick edger, go back to the truck, put that machine away get your trimmer, than go back around every property a second time to trim? And you say that is faster and more productive???
The string on the trimmer only wheres down as far as the edgit's guide disc. The disc sets the depth. The string cuts clean. If your digging in the dirt and sand your string is too long or you haven't edged in a while.
The edgit also acts as a better guard than any factory guard and is great for trimming along stone or chain link because it keeps the string from wearing too far down. I can also edge along landscape beds that have plastic or other edging without worrying about damaging the edging.

I repeat "I will never have a trimmer without an edgit" I wold take a stick edger If someone gave it to me but it would probably sit at the shop except for the first time on new yards. And I am not even sure I would use it then.

Fantasy Lawns
01-15-2004, 04:15 PM
Paul if this tools works for you great . I have used it n it dont work fore me in the St. Augustine turf which is tough, thick n produces long runners the string trimmer even with gatorline does not cut a well defined distinct edge .. let alone do it quicker than a dedicated unit

We have to edge every visit from a 2 man crew to a 4 man crew it comes together as a team .1 person performs 1 dedicated task (edging or weed eating or mowing) once done with the task for the most part they are getting a blower or getting a weed eater to help out on the big jobs this is for regular maintenance

On this job . I have one man that just does the edging ... (in the heat of summer its 2 guys 1 hits the cement .1 hits the beds) when he's or they are done he grabs a weed-eater to join the others

Fore the weed eating this usually is 2 guys working together . N than a solo just weed eating the sidewalk to street area when they finish they get a blower buy the time they are getting to blow the last few yards the mowers (2 Walkers) are just finishing

How is weed eating n edging at the same time ... with the same tool more efficient ....n mind you efficiency with loss of quality is not acceptable . If you are edging with a weed eater n than look back to see you must walk back to catch something that need weed eating . this is lost time

When you have 1 person performing 1 task it is done n he is moving on .while another comes from behind to weed eat only to focus on weed eating .either way 2 trained people working together can perform the task quicker than 1 guy doing 2 things at the same time the quality is there

Again its a neat concept for those whom can use it and this is getting away from the orginal topic .... as this one has been discussed in the past . But look larger outfits in your area are they using em .I dont see it .dont you think that an owner would use any tool which would save time .... while they maintain quality

Avery
01-15-2004, 05:29 PM
Great post Fantasy Lawns. Like I said, I am sure the edgit works well for homeowners or one man shows, but for larger commercial operations I think, no I know, you will be wasting time and losing money. How can one man both edge and trim as fast as two men each doing a separate job? Plus you have to factor in fatigue. Every time you stop to advance your line I will be 5' ahead of you with a stick edger. By the end of a day I will be far ahead of you. We also have St. Augustine and Bermuda here. No way a string will give as clean an edge as a blade. Someone said you no longer have a problem damaging the concrete with the edgit? If you have that problem you need to learn how to use a edger. No I have never tried an edgit. But neither have I tried edging with a flat blade shovel. I do not always have to try something to know it is inferior. Tell ya what though Edgit. If'n ya want to send me one to demo at the start of the season I will give it an honest try. If it is faster AND does a better job than a blade I will put it on 5 of my trimmers. We do lots of edging so I would not be against using something that works better. Here is a pic. of a small HOA we do. Only one of many with most being much larger than this.

Envy Lawn Service
01-16-2004, 12:19 AM
I use a trimmer to edge and I can "get by" doing this with established edges. I also get a good edge with a trimmer. But this is not something everybody can do because it is not easy. Also on occasion you will still gap up the edge now and then just by accident nomatter how good you are.

The Edgit seems like a logical fix for the human error. But I have not tried the Edgit for the same reason I don't run a guard on my trimmer. How do you see what you are doing while edging???

As for productivity issue between trimmer edging and edger edging.....
As a solo operation, that seems to be sort of a moot point. Which way would be faster would depend on the size and layout of the property and distance back to the truck.

PaulJ
01-16-2004, 12:35 AM
I can see your point about the differences in turf types. And if you have large enough crews to give each one a specialised job. But it is still alot of extra walking. What the largerest crew here do is they don't edge at all. Some trim the edges to a bevel. The company i used to work for is where I learned to trim the right way with my left hand on the throttle and my right hand controling where the head is and walking forward. They also taught me to edge with the trimmer (no edgit) I got good at it but when I started on my own I got an edgit, and it tok all the quess work out of edging with the trimmer, And as far as seeing what your diong the disc shows you exactly where the string is cutting.
So for the original questoin about somthing that's a step up from a twist-n-edge I think that a commercial straight shaft trimmer with an edgit is just the ticket. Especialy for a small crew on bluegrass and fescue lawns. (I do use it on Zoysa)
If you would rather buy two machines then go ahead.

trying 2b organic
01-16-2004, 01:22 AM
Cool season, solo, not a wizz with my shinny, ordered edgit today. ty Paul and gang

macaw
01-16-2004, 09:17 AM
Here are some pictures of the twist-n-edge

macaw
01-16-2004, 09:47 AM
Lets try agianhttp://C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\te.jpg http://C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\te2.jpg http://C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\te3.jpg
OK I give up can't grt the pictures on .
Anyway I will stay with the Twist-n-edge It will do a much faster job then anything else that anyone has come up with.

yourlawnguy
01-16-2004, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by Fantasy Lawns
http://fantasylawns.com/5.jpg

We do every home in this photo n this just a few of the total 127 of em

There is just NO WAY IN %^$# that a weed eater can out do a stick edger .... every edge all cement n every landscape bed ...... just NO WAY .... anyone can say "oh yes we can" .... I just don't think so

I back this up with YEARS experience ... when I say edge .... I mean actually doing it .... not just running along ..... the edge is defined n clean & my blade may wear down but not half as quick as re-spooling the trimmer all the time .... when we edge the beds it is a clean defined line ....n I didn't kick mulch or pine bark up or destroy any plants or flowers near the edge

One day everyone will wake up n realize that sure I'm selling a service ..... a quality service .... reliable & consistent BUT what Im really selling is TIME . My time that I save on any job . All jobs is more $$ . N thats the bottom line

I'm with you Steve, I used an Edgit for 4 months this summer and then I switched back to the stick edger. I find that the stick edger is more consistant. Also the sand down here destroyed my edgit. Although I do believe that it might work well in other areas with cool season grasses and less sand.

Clay
01-16-2004, 11:37 AM
Well guys,

I guess it is different strokes for different folks... I've been at this gig for 20 years and was pleasantly surprised when I finally tried the edgit... Yes, it took a little getting used to as anything different does, but I carry a line trimmer, stick edger, and line trimmer with edgit... and 99% of the time the edgit is the one that gets used....

"Quality" is the highest priority in my business... and for me, the edgit is faster, easier on my body, and produces a higher quality edge when used on a regular basis...

Good Luck, Clay

yourlawnguy
01-16-2004, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by macaw
Lets try agianhttp://C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\te.jpg http://C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\te2.jpg http://C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\te3.jpg
OK I give up can't grt the pictures on .
Anyway I will stay with the Twist-n-edge It will do a much faster job then anything else that anyone has come up with.
Here's a picture.

edgit
01-16-2004, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by Avery
How can one man both edge and trim as fast as two men each doing a separate job?

This statement tells me Avery that you still don't get it. Of course two men can do more work than one. That's not the point. The problem is you have to PAY for two men to accomplish the same job I can do with one. In other words, for a given lawn you can put one man on a trimmer, another doing the edging and accomplish the job in X time. Paul can trim and edge the same property with one man, but does not take 2X time. Our tests show about 1.4X. This means per unit man hours Paul is more productive with his capitol expenditure (labor) than you are.

The reason for this is simple. When your trimmer operators are walking from place to place doing the trimming, they are walking over a lot of the edges, but not doing anything to them, they're not being productive. Being able to combine the trimming and edging into one process is simply more productive.

Comment on company size using Edgit. Ever hear of this little company called the Brickman Group. We sell hundreds of Edgits to them every year. Not only that but they have created their own inhouse video for training trimmer operators using the Edgit. We also sell Edgits to lots of contractors in groups of 10 ($ discount). As a matter of fact we have two shipments of 10 each going out today. By the way, as best I can tell from our sales Brickman operates in Florida also.

I will admit sandy soils wear the Edgit faster than other soils. We have some contractors who have to buy two Edgits/season for every timmer because of sand wear.

Here is the way I still justify using the Edgit. In 1977 I picked up an apartment complex that we maintained for 15 years. We used it as for productivity testing because we knew it so well. Early on we did all the edging with trimmers simply because stick edgers didn't exist then. (Walk-behind edgers are impossible on curbs.) When sticks first came out in the 80's we immediately started using them. But our crew time went from 8.5 hrs to 10 hrs, however, the edging did look better than when we trimmer edged free-hand.

In 1988 I came up with the idea for the Edgit. All other factors being the same our crew time for that job went consistantly from 10hrs to 8hrs. At the time I was charging $100/hr for a 4 man crew, including 2 Hustlers and walk-behind mowers. I was able to tack a commercial property next door onto that day. That was $200 additional for 25 mowings per season. That means I grossed $5000 additional per season for the cost of two Edgits. I also never needed the stick edgers again on that job. I'd say the Edgit was worth the productivity gain even if I'd worn them out once a month.

By the way Avery, that video you watched was shot in 1990 with a prototype Edgit that was too large in diameter and the edge had not been edged in over a month (notice the grass is sticking over the edge by at least several inches).

One final note on edging speed. 5 or 6 years ago a guy called me and told me he was glad he had finally found us. I asked what he meant. He said he had first seen the Edgit in Florida. He was on vacation and was out jogging on a Sunday in an industrial park. As he was going along he heard a familar noise coming up behind him fast. A Hispanic man was edging this half mile long curb at a dead run. After his intial shock he wanted to stop the guy to see what he was using to do this, but couldn't catch him. He finally found us in the back of a magazine.

Oh yea about the blowing. We picked up another .5 hr gain on the job above when we figured out the trimmer operator could blow off the back patios with the trimmer, as long as it wasn't wet. This meant the blower operator didn't have to circle all 36 buildings, just blow off the fronts.

Fantasy Lawns
01-16-2004, 12:40 PM
He was on vacation and was out jogging on a Sunday in an industrial park. As he was going along he heard a familar noise coming up behind him fast. A Hispanic man was edging this half mile long curb at a dead run.

Why was this guy working on a Sunday ?? .... I have NEVER worked on a Sunday ... cause all my edgings done by Friday

Also is not a capital expenditure a physical asset such as property, equipment or building .... how can it be labor

Avery
01-16-2004, 01:46 PM
Like I said Edgit. Send me one to try at the start of the season. If it works faster AND produces a better result than a stick edger I will order 10 from you. I am just skeptical how a string can produce as neat an edge as a blade does. Especially in runner grasses like bermuda. You are really sure I will like this product so sending a demo should not be a problem. I never buy any equipment without trying it out in my conditions.

edgit
01-16-2004, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by Avery
Like I said Edgit. Send me one to try at the start of the season. If it works faster AND produces a better result than a stick edger I will order 10 from you. I am just skeptical how a string can produce as neat an edge as a blade does. Especially in runner grasses like bermuda. You are really sure I will like this product so sending a demo should not be a problem. I never buy any equipment without trying it out in my conditions.

Sorry, we get hundreds of reqests for demos every months. There's no way we could afford it. But I'll do for you what we do for everybody. Buy one, try it for a month. If you don't like it send it back and we'll give you your money back, minus shipping.

macaw
01-16-2004, 02:20 PM
Thanks for the picture

Avery
01-16-2004, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by edgit
Sorry, we get hundreds of reqests for demos every months. There's no way we could afford it. But I'll do for you what we do for everybody. Buy one, try it for a month. If you don't like it send it back and we'll give you your money back, minus shipping.

Fair enough. How much are they for a straight stick trimmer?

And it will not take me a month. I will use it one day and let my guys decide which they like best.

trying 2b organic
01-17-2004, 04:28 PM
This just occured to me as i was on a property. If you have a flower bed island or a mulch bed around a tree, how do you trim with the edgit? You would have to be in the bed right? Does the guard push away the grass as you go with a less sharp cut resulting.

trying 2b organic
01-17-2004, 04:50 PM
My bad, i hadnt been able to load the vidio u have on edgit site before today, it loaded and i get it. Looks good.

macaw
01-17-2004, 04:51 PM
Exactly the point I have been trying to make. My yards do not have very many curbs, mostly flower beds, shrubbery beds, trees
and lots of mulched areas. The string does not blow grass in the beds as much as it throws mulch into the yard. I said before that my yards a couple of acres each. The twist-n-edge is light and easy to trude all over these yards and I can change from trimming to edging in a flick of the switch and turn of the shaft. Mostly the problem is that the motors don't last. They foul plugs alot and end up in shop. But then they will run for another year. So, I will continue to buy a new one @ $90. a year until someone comes up with a better motor. I feel this is the best machine I can use for my purpose.

This is just my opinion,--I could be wrong!

PaulJ
01-18-2004, 04:24 AM
Macaw,
Here's an idea, since you don't want to have to turn a commercial trimmer on it's side to edge (with or without an edgit). Get a split shaft type straight shaft trimmer. To edge just loosen the clamp and turn the head over. It should work about like your twist -n - edge. Just an idea for you. The reach power, and durability of a commercial trimmer should far surpass a $80 unit.

edgit
01-19-2004, 02:05 AM
Originally posted by Avery
Fair enough. How much are they for a straight stick trimmer?

And it will not take me a month. I will use it one day and let my guys decide which they like best.

Price is $60-$70 depending on model of trimmer. Go to www.edgit.com all pricing info is on the order page. You'll have to fax it to me or call me. One lesson we've learned is that most trimmer operators don't like the Edgit at first. We tell most companies trying them for the first time that it takes at least a day before they understand. They invariably think it blocks their view at first blush.

Also, again since your edges are narrow from using a blade only, the first time they edge may be slow. They have to widen the edge.

Make sure you take a look at the "Following the Edge" manicuring system. It's on the site. It shows the most efficient routes around properties.

Finally, try to get old operators to learn to trim "left-handed". New operators train easily, but old dogs don't learn new tricks easily. It seems counter intuitive, but right handed use of trimmers forces operators to walk backwards or scoot sideways when they trim along walls. I use to tell trainees, "if I forced you to walk backwards all day you'd be dead tired at the end of the day whether you're carrying a trimmer or not." Left hand on gas, right hand on the handle and you walk along the wall naturally. It really works. It's easier, more productive and much safer.

macaw
01-19-2004, 11:37 AM
I think I have the picture thing here are the pictures of my twist-n-edge.

SHOW ME STATE RIDER
01-19-2004, 11:40 AM
How's your back feel from bending over like that?(straight shaft)

macaw
01-19-2004, 11:45 AM
Not bad It's very light and dose a quick job so I'm not using it very long My biggest job About 1 hour and that is trimming and edgeing.

macaw
01-19-2004, 11:56 AM
Oh I'm not bent over that far I'm on a little hill there on level ground you stand more upright, and you see by the flick of a button it and a twist of the shaft it goes from trimmer to edger

SHOW ME STATE RIDER
01-19-2004, 01:10 PM
RedMax

PaulJ
01-19-2004, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by edgit


Finally, try to get old operators to learn to trim "left-handed". New operators train easily, but old dogs don't learn new tricks easily. It seems counter intuitive, but right handed use of trimmers forces operators to walk backwards or scoot sideways when they trim along walls. I use to tell trainees, "if I forced you to walk backwards all day you'd be dead tired at the end of the day whether you're carrying a trimmer or not." Left hand on gas, right hand on the handle and you walk along the wall naturally. It really works. It's easier, more productive and much safer.


Think of it this way. For a right handed person. Pick up the trimmer like a golf club or a baseball bat. With yor right hand closest to the working end. Using any trimmer this way really speeds things up, the clippings are thrown to te front and away from landscape beds and buildings. It took me about a week to get used to timming this way and about another week or two to get really god at it but this was without the edgit, that came later and made things goe even faster and smoother.